MP's 11% pay rise, yes or no?

KFC

I really don't know where I stand on this,

It should be their only job,

Not sitting on this board or that board for 2-3 days per month and getting a very handsome cheque at the end of it,

I too don't see why we need so many of them, 600 and odd isn't it?

So why not 1 for every county? Or 2 at the most

The USA has 1 senator for every state, so why don't we match that,

If we paid them, say £100k per year and NO expenses save for essentials, (small office in their constituency)

There must be plenty of tower blocks in London that could accommodate every MP,

They only need a small flat, 1 bedroom and a lounge and bathroom,

If they lose their seat then whoever wins it, gets their flat, all paid for by government.

Gets rid of all this second home mullarky

:shaun:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes ...... Buy cheap buy twice, Gordon blownit Brown for instance

In fact increase it two fold and four fold for cabinet members

And let's part fund that by having a mp and elected lords chop, and a reshuffle of constituency boundaries so that they fall impartial

Don't forget expenses are, or should be, exactly that, they do not constitute part of a wage

Not sitting on this board or that board for 2-3 days per month and getting a very handsome cheque at the end of it,

If we paid them, say £100k per year and NO expenses save for essentials, (small office in their constituency)

If they lose their seat then whoever wins it, gets their flat, all paid for by government.

This is exactly what I have thought for many years one thing that dose annoy me is people slagging them off all of the time I think most of them do a good job and work long hours there are plenty of bad doctors teachers even post men/women but at least with MPs we get the chance to sack them every four or five years the others just carry on until they retire.

Not forgetting most of them also have wives or family members being their paid Secretaries.

That has been band you are out of date my friend.

FWD have you forgotten the expenses scandal? Nearly every single one of them was on teh take and only a handful got what they deserved.

They can't complain that people don't trust them.

It was regarded for most of them as a perk of the job after all they did forgo any pay rises for a long time I bet there are not many people who given the chance by there employer to have a free TV or some other thing in fact only a very few of them did the house swapping thing etc.

Pay them what the independent body advises.

Their salary now does not adequately compensate them for their role.

As much as I hate to agree with Flashman if you pay peanuts you get monkeys. I don't want the current crop of monkeys in charge of spending billions, the job is to important to have muppets in it.

Edited by Laird Lugton

Make it 2% in line with inflation no problem. 11% is out of order when the rest of the country is tightening its belt, with pay cuts, or hours cut or just no rises for several years.

Then make all future risers dependent on performance, produce the goods and get the rewards. Failing MPs should be held to account earlier than the 4 or 5 years they have been elected for. Too much damage been done in the past by incompetent people in the wrong job for to long. :)

I'm more concerned about how managers in councils are earning more than MPs to be honest.

That is a far better point - average C Exec salary must be £160K with some on £200K +

Heads of service on £80-90K Directors on £140K.

All slightly out of control.

That is a far better point - average C Exec salary must be £160K with some on £200K +

Heads of service on £80-90K Directors on £140K.

All slightly out of control.

The answer always seems to be that it is expected and that the pay is supposed to get the "right" people for the job!

Personally I cannot understand how anyone in that sort of job can expect to be paid more the the Prime Minister of the land who is ultimately responsible for more people and money!

The answer always seems to be that it is expected and that the pay is supposed to get the "right" people for the job!

Personally I cannot understand how anyone in that sort of job can expect to be paid more the the Prime Minister of the land who is ultimately responsible for more people and money!

There are many people on more money than the Prime Minister! Check out the salaries of Charity CEOs for example!

Your forgetting they all volunteer for it at the salary given at the election! Once again the rules of Supply and demand should apply!

In these times when many haven't had increases for years and in fact many have had reductions or been made redundant they should feel ashamed!

I thought we had run out of money and we all needed to chip in for the Nation? Every bit counts doesn't it?

I've seen libraries close, youth clubs close, old peoples homes close! We're seeing patients waiting in ambulances for hours outside A&E and yet 11% is ok!

ITS WRONG!

Foot note, if I've read the accounts correctly the CEO of The Countryside Alliance cost £113,995 in 2010!

How much is The BASC Chairman costing? The last advert didn't indicate!

Now I'm not saying they are not worth it but if you really want to think about it you need to think about what a nurse is worth? A paramedic? Don't the RNLI volunteer? I could go on!

Edited by Lampwick

That's the best idea I've heard. In answer to the OP, no, to a rise, lots of private the private sector have not had a rise so why should our MPs. Let's just enforce the current policy rigidly as we at my workplace.