Submerging trigger assembly in hot, soapy water

mossberg-operator

Pointless, when something stops working then take it apart, clean it properly, oil and reassemble. Don't fix something that isnt broken.

Its called maintenance , the same reason we service our cars before they go wrong rather than waiting for them to breakdown.

I cannot see where it will hurt if dried off and relubed

I've had my beretta 4 years now, i haven't once dunked it in hot soapy water but it still works perfectly. When beretta start telling me to do it I will.

And it will quite possibly work perfectly for another 10 years , but correctly maintained and serviced it is less likely to let you down in the field .

I usually put my two Beretta semi-autos in the washing machine (Persil non-bio, 40 C, cottons, 1200 r.p.m. spin) then in the tumble-dryer (set to cupboard dry).

On a serious note, agree with CaptainBeaky, exposure to damp salty conditions would seem only justification for washing the mechanism with water.

I guess residual water could be displaced by a water miscible but volatile organic solvent e.g. meths or surgical spirit. Followed of course by suitable lubrication.

I find that a build up of old oil and gunge can be removed by washing the part in petrol which is effective, dries easily and offers some protection from rust, Water soluble contaminants like salt water spray are another ball game and washing in in plain hot water with careful drying may be the answer . I have reservations about W D 40 which is a water displacement liquid and wonder where the water moved ends up in a gun action or a rifle bolt,

Remember it was quite the normal practice to clean out muzzle loader bores with boiling water. This is one of the few ways of getting rid of the residue form the old corrosive primers. As others have said, its imperative to make sure its really dry - then re-oil with an oil that won't go gummy.

depends, in a salt and grit ridden venue yes certainly- oil wont neutralise salt it will just seal it in and will form the sand residue into a grinding paste. Air cannot blow everything away, the ideal is a proper parts washer I suppose. Best Holland and Holland after a day on the grouse? Nah, perhaps not!

So, Marty Fisher, The gun digest book of shotgunning, page 214. Submerge trigger assembly in hot, soapy water, dry it, lubricate it and put it back in the gun. Any thoughts on this guys?

With what specific purpose in mind, we have a lot of cleaners/solvents these days, what does this achieve that they can not?