.223 vs .22-250

ride4fun

Unless you are shooting at extreme range the .223 will will do the same job up to 250/300 yards and uses 1/2 the powder

Deershooter

I agree entirely.

Had a 223 first, then a 22-250 and back to a 223.

If you have large fields to shoot over then a 22-250 may be the best for you, but up to 250 yards or so no fox will notice anything different.

Wonder why south Yorkshire will give you 22.250 but not 223?

Heard this from three fac holders that I shoot with

Because common sense is not always applied. in the past calibres have been refused then the suggested one that the police say you can have is more powerful, Bear in mind that it is clerical staff working from rules set out by the force they work for and not ballistics experts that make the decisions.

Although I must say that Lancashire who I deal with have improved over the years and I have not had any reasonable request refused.

Thanks for the replys, the fields i shoot arnt

Massive so the .223 is definatly on the cards, am i right in saying they are a lot cheeper in amunition and a lot easyer to quieten down?

My 223 likes Privi and at less than 50p per shot it is not worth loading my own. IMHO :good:

Because common sense is not always applied. in the past calibres have been refused then the suggested one that the police say you can have is more powerful, Bear in mind that it is clerical staff working from rules set out by the force they work for and not ballistics experts that make the decisions.

Although I must say that Lancashire who I deal with have improved over the years and I have not had any reasonable request refused.

To right I was turned down for 22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire as Magnum rifles where not alias for vermin or fox they advised me .22-250 would be more suitable.

I went for the .223 because it uses less powder, less recoil, easier to moderate, cheaper to run and all things equal should have a longer barrel life and looking at this table the MPB range is only 14 yards less than the 250 for the 55gr soft point. I know this is just one load and different loads can vary a lot but for me I couldn't see the point in burning twice the powder for all it gained. This is just my opinion and my reasons for choosing the 223, I am sure there will be others that disagree.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_table.htm

22-250 is the only gun in the UK I don't personally get! .243 win matches it with 55 grns (slightly worse on drop but better on wind) and .223 will do everything it can do to 250 yards, burns less powder, easier to moderate, cheaper to re-load and gives increased barrel life.

That said people often buy because they want rather than need and there isn't anything wrong in that, if I ever wasn't allowed .243 it might come on my list as a long range foxer but I suspect a .22 PPC might take the slot instead

I got talking with a gunshop owner recently about my .22-250. I said that I was considering changing or adding CF rifle that would be easier to carry around and fancied something like a .204. His advice was simply to ditch the .22-250 and get a T3 lite stainless in .243 and shoot light bullets at close to 4000fps, then have the option of a deer suitable bullet in your pocket should the need arise. The .243 does make sense as an all rounder.

neither of them should be judged on their effective range.

boys shooting more dangerous targets than foxes with a .223 and they shoot a hell of a lot further than 300yds!

target - all fox or fox/deer/crows etc?

bullet choice? range of bullets or lightest fastest you can get? personally I always go with the heaviest I can, drop is easy to account for, wind isn't!

cost to feed?

What one of the above would you go for and why?

What distances do both start to drop at and what distances would it be practical to shoot out to?

Thank you antony

What else do you have and what do you want to shoot?

Yours may seem a simple question but it isn't, I have 8 rifles on FAC and no need for a 22-250, amongst my selection I have a .223 and a .243, with the ammo choice available for those why would I need a 22-250?

More info required! :good:

Wonder why south Yorkshire will give you 22.250 but not 223?

Heard this from three fac holders that I shoot with

Never had a problem with South Yorkshire, had both .223 and .22-250 with out any fuss and on my first variation for a .243 she asked if I'd considered a larger cal for the bigger deer species, so I added a .270 as well as the .243.