Top Gear has it had its day

chrisjh

They're just killing it now. Occasionally (VERY occasionally), they do a great slot, but now you're lucky if that's 10 minutes per series. Strangely, my favourite bits always seem to be when May and Clarkson ditch that fool Hammond and do proper car stuff, like cars of the Cold war, or the search for the first mass produced car with the pedal and key layout we have today. And when they used to do stuff about real cars. Gone are the days when, to give three family cars a thorough test, they'd take them late night minicabbing, to give them some real day-to-day punishment. now it's all supercars and brainless explosions. it's frustrating. Clarkson proved with his Arctic Convoys programme he can still do quality stuff, and James May's manlab & Toy Stories are fantastic. Top Gear though has just become banal

Very well put

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its extremely sexist as well...has anyone noticed how all the eye candy in the crowd occupies the front rows adjacent the presenters and all the mingers shoved to the back...

As for that Gerbil or Ratty or Gopher or whatever his name is ...he's just a vertically challenged **** pot, JC thinks he actually is Jesus Christ and the other guy is a demented escapee from the Open University. :yes:

Should be shelved and my money spent on more educational programmes The standurd of what is upalling in this nayshun. :lol:

Well, on this reaction it is obviously still a winner, and the viewing figures also back that up.

It is an entertainment show, which tends to have a bit to do with cars, it isn't a car show, that seems to have escaped many, and there if always an off button or another channel!

Well, on this reaction it is obviously still a winner, and the viewing figures also back that up.

It is an entertainment show, which tends to have a bit to do with cars, it isn't a car show, that seems to have escaped many, and there if always an off button or another channel!

:good: I always watch it and have no interest in most cars - if i wanted to see car reviews I'd look on autotraders website.

I must say that I do like it until they start acting like little children then I have to cringe and that is why I will not watch it live I tend to record it then when it gets to childish I can fast forward and miss that part out the problem is instead if the program lasting an hour it tends to be end up as more like 30 mins on a good day on a bad one it can be as little as 15mins.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

I think watching neither type of people living their lives out on telly is the third and preferred option ?! As for jealousy, hmmm dunno, I've followed F1 for thirty years and they are as overpaid as anyone on the planet but on the whole it's a good package. TopGear presenters lead no better lives than a number of actors or sports / pop stars, but manage o turn a potentially interesting subject into banal garbage.

Just to qualify my anti TG stance, I think a vast amount of stuff on TV is garbage.

Which just goes to show we're all different. Personally I rate F1 about as exciting as Emmerdale, but I don't come on here after each race and say so, I simply watch something else.

Simple.

what's PW view on Top Gear, I stopped watching it years ago cant stand Clarkson or his other two stooges,

If you stopped watching it years ago how do you know its had its day???

TopGear is the most watched tv series globally and makes the Beeb an awful lot of money so they must be doing something right!

I once asked my daughter why she liked watching the Kardashians so much, claiming it was carp. She said: 'if I wanted to watch a programme about average people leading average lives I needn't put on the TV as I'm already living it'. Fair comment.

Haha she's hit the nail on the head, that's brilliant!

Top Gear, 3 blokes ******* about, travelling from place to place smashing things up and ragging cars around and getting paid for it. Ultimate job as far as I can see, jealous anyone?

My tuppence worth

Top Gear

The last 3/4 series for some reason have always started with a duff episode and then got progressively better,

The "specials" are always good value except the Indian one which I thought was very bad.

I like 5th gear, it's more a motoring show but don't like Tiff Needell, who only rates a car if he can get the tail out.

Wheeler dealer puzzles me as to the pricing of the cars they sell, some are just silly money and agree about not charging for labour, but when you look at some that they only make a few hundred pounds on, then why bother?

:shaun:

TopGear is the most watched tv series globally and makes the Beeb an awful lot of money so they must be doing something right!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newspapers_in_the_United_Kingdom_by_circulation

There's your answer, TopGear is gutter TV just like The Sun produce gutter press. I suspect cocaine must have a pretty sound worldwide following too or else they wouldn't keep producing it...................not sure if popularity is the right yardstick for praise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newspapers_in_the_United_Kingdom_by_circulation

There's your answer, TopGear is gutter TV just like The Sun produce gutter press. I suspect cocaine must have a pretty sound worldwide following too or else they wouldn't keep producing it...................not sure if popularity is the right yardstick for praise.

But the answer is simplicity itself! If you don't like The Sun, don't buy it. If you don't like cocaine don't use it!

I don't rate football (or rather those who play it on a professional level) so I don't watch it. I don't watch it, or read The Sun, or snort a bit and then come on here and complain about how rubbish it is, but it is obvious some people do exactly that regarding Top Gear! How does the OP know Top Gear has had its day if he hasn't watched it for years? He obviously watches it so he can have a moan...amazing!

But the answer is simplicity itself! If you don't like The Sun, don't buy it. If you don't like cocaine don't use it!

I don't rate football (or rather those who play it on a professional level) so I don't watch it. I don't watch it, or read The Sun, or snort a bit and then come on here and complain about how rubbish it is, but it is obvious some people do exactly that regarding Top Gear! How does the OP know Top Gear has had its day if he hasn't watched it for years? He obviously watches it so he can have a moan...amazing!

I think the OP does what hundreds of us do, record it and play most of it back on X12 speed only stopping briefly when a new RR or something auto-flips your finger to press play again.

Totally agree with your point about not watching it but then this thread would be kind of pointless too wouldn't it, we are discussing WHY it has run it's course and the answer is it is failing to grow out of the old routine and very much failing in revamping the show and keeping up with it's intelligent (deserting) audience.

Of course its popular-why else would almost every country buy it?

Curious to know why people use Wiki as source of fact since it can be edited by anyone.I could go on there now and say the Sun newspaper is staffed by aliens.

One thing that I can never understand is here we have three guys who now a bit about cars but give them £1000 and tell them to buy a second hand car and they end up spending the money on a pile of junk ok I now that they probably just turn up and are given these cars that someone got for £200 at an auction and they then pretend that they paid £800 for it it just pees me off as I am shore that most of us given £1000 could pick up something that would not fall to bits after 20miles if that.

If you stopped watching it years ago how do you know it's had its day, and why have you waited 'til now to post about it?

What's PW view on Emmerdale? I stopped watching it years ago,can't stand Molly Sugden or her two sons.

If you don't like it, don't watch it; It's not rocket science.

Could the green eyed monster play a part in some of the anti Top Gear comments? Three overgrown schoolboys jetting off all over the world to drive cars that most on here can only dream about, and getting bloody well paid for it! What's not to like? :yes:

I once asked my daughter why she liked watching the Kardashians so much, claiming it was carp. She said: 'if I wanted to watch a programme about average people leading average lives I needn't put on the TV as I'm already living it'. Fair comment.

If you stopped watching it years ago how do you know its had its day???

noticed it in schedules, my lad watches it and i sometimes take it in from the back of the room, i get its no longer a serious car programme and its now light entertainment, i think its Clarkson as an individual that i find annoying, don't mind the other 2 as much and can watch progs they present.

The thread question was has this programme had its day, it looks evenly split on that