Shotgun Fox Loads

What is the best load for Foxes at ranges of around 30m or less.

I bought some BB loads and took a shot at a fox at around 20m with the fox head on. The fox looked confused but certainly not hurt.

I patterned the load and found massive holes, easily big enough for a fox to get through.

I then shot a fox with no. 5 shot and it dropped on the spot.

What should I be using for foxes at this range? Should I be looking for a more compatible cartridge for my gun or should I go with the greater shot density.

You've answered your question really. smallest I'd use would be 3's largest BB's if possible get one or two from as many people you can that have fox or even old goose lead loads and pattern them to see what works best. I used to have some baikal BB's that worked really well but tend to go for 1's now plenty for sensible shotgun ranges.

Splashy, on 07 Feb 2014 - 11:32 PM, said:

What is the best load for Foxes at ranges of around 30m or less.

I bought some BB loads and took a shot at a fox at around 20m with the fox head on. The fox looked confused but certainly not hurt.

I then shot a fox with no. 5 shot and it dropped on the spot.

What should I be using for foxes at this range? Should I be looking for a more compatible cartridge for my gun or should I go with the greater shot density.

BB at 20 yds >> you just missed it. >> 5 stopped it on the spot.

1-1/4 no 3. in right or open choke barrel power + penetration + pellet count. 1-1/4 bb in left or tighter choke bit more punch out further.

Edited by fortune

It didn't present that great a target head on for a DRT kill to be fair (you have only the frontal chest centre which is smaller than its looks in the fur) highly unlikely to penetrate through the nose and make the brain from the front. I should have shouted at it and hit him in the flank on the turn if I could. Its imperative to pattern your gun choke combination before you go out for fox with a shotgun, if nothing else it feeds you confidence

3's, 1's, BB & AAA usually 42g and upwards if you have a 3.5 Inch chambered gun 2.25oz of #4 works great, all out to 40 Yards max.

SG & Special SG only if your gun will pattern them well and keep range down to 20 yards max (my Mossy 835 with half choke puts all 9 pellets in a 12 inch circle at 25 yards).

Above all try a few different shells and see what patterns in your gun with a particular choke the best.

3's, 1's, BB & AAA usually 42g and upwards if you have a 3.5 Inch chambered gun 2.25oz of #4 works great, all out to 40 Yards max.

SG & Special SG only if your gun will pattern them well and keep range down to 20 yards max (my Mossy 835 with half choke puts all 9 pellets in a 12 inch circle at 25 yards).

Above all try a few different shells and see what patterns in your gun with a particular choke the best.

You know you make a very good point about the SG and it putting all nine pellets inside a 12" circle at 25 yards there. Problem is the shot needs to be in a 3" circle. A fox is around 14" at the shoulder standing and carries a lot of fur and fresh air under it. If those 9 pellets were assumed to be totally even / 4= 2.25 thats pellets in 3" ! Best reason ever for BB towards no.4 depending what your gun will pattern, you only have to bust through the ribs of a creature of say 13-16 lb after all

Here are some patterns with a 50g BB Load at 30 yards:

(The circle is about the size of clay pigeon / 4")

(The sheet is about 3 feet wide)

Skeet choke:

IMG_1895.jpg

3/8 Choke:

IMG_1896.jpg

5/8 Choke:

IMG_1897.jpg

I get the impression that with this shot size a little bit of choke makes a huge difference and going more than about half just wrecks the pattern.

Will probably just stick with the nice open skeet pattern considering on most fox drives you end up shooting them about 10 - 20 yards.

Why do most people go and buy heavy loads of big shot and pattern it at 30yds. Most of us reload so come on guys work at it.Last loads i put together for foxes were 11/4 of BB bufferd nice Tight patterns at 40 yds and they dont need pattern blowing velocity Dipper.

Do most users re-load shotgun? Not so confident they do. I only Load for the 10ga at present and I am unsure if I will ever load for the 12, it seems not very worthwhile and as I cant use lead BB for Geese not so sure I should want say 5kg of it sitting round unused for ages. Good to tailor your loads to the gun non the less :good:

Why do most people go and buy heavy loads of big shot and pattern it at 30yds. Most of us reload so come on guys work at it.Last loads i put together for foxes were 11/4 of BB bufferd nice Tight patterns at 40 yds and they dont need pattern blowing velocity Dipper.

All the best to you, but my understanding is MOST people do not reload shogun carts!

:no::good: