no more than 2 shots in a semi auto

diddy

It's not funny if you've ever had a loaded one pointed at your face on a clay ground like I did once.

Chap shooting a semi auto at a simo pair that you could hit with one cartridge if timed correctly, he managed this on the last pair but didn't check his gun was empty.

The stand was on a raised platform and walking down it he pointed it straight at me. Words were had when I changed my boxers.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CPSA rules only permit a maximum of two to be loaded at any time for safety reasons in Semi Automatics.

The rules on shooting grounds are not made up for a laugh, they have come about from years of experience and to keep everyone safe. As some of you have stated, you check the bolt before leaving the stand, good practice, but there are those that don't, therefore rules have been put in place for all to follow. It doesn't matter whether you're shooting on a CPSA ground or not its safer to load 2.

yes you could have granted ,but on the last shot the bolt would not stay back and would no gun was not safe .

OK so what do you do if you have a no bird? Or a misfire? Or someone asks you to step out of the cage mid way through the stand? Or one of the many other reasons you may get distracted and step out without the gun being empty?

Still interested in where you shoot.

Stupid rule ! My local clay ground doesn't mind :)

What ground?

CPSA rules only permit a maximum of two to be loaded at any time for safety reasons in Semi Automatics.[/size]

The rules on shooting grounds are not made up for a laugh, they have come about from years of experience and to keep everyone safe. As some of you have stated, you check the bolt before leaving the stand, good practice, but there are those that don't, therefore rules have been put in place for all to follow. It doesn't matter whether you're shooting on a CPSA ground or not its safer to load 2.

:good:

If you feel the need to use 3 shots then there is one competition (Benelli) which is specifically set up for this, some stands have 3 clays some have 2 etc etc

As regarding flushes, then its a form of cheating,

Whitfield up here had a problem with it, so said its 2 shots only,

People still loaded 3 so now auto's/pumps are banned

case of a few cheats spoiling it for other auto/pump users that played by the rules

:shaun:

Was told today that i can only load 2 shots a time in a auto due to saftey reasons.

i still trying to work it out what difference is 3 shots is over 2?

is this standard practice for autos at clay grounds?

a few people I know with autos use to load 3 then slide 2 up the mag after every pair till the last pair where they would just load 1 , they done as an auto will recoil more when the bolt stays back . Even so it's got to be 1 mistake safer if you just load 2 .

It was only 8 weeks ago at a ground i was shooting at that 2 young lads were sharing a semi auto. The stand consisted of 5 pairs, it transpired that they were loading 3 shots to make reloading easier between pairs. When the second lad had finished, he stepped out of the cage and placed the butt of the gun on his foot whilst holding the barrel, then ........boom, the gun went off in front of his face, nobody was hurt, but that could have turned out very differently. And in the past I stopped a guy who was shooting a semi auto leaving a stand when i grabbed the barrel of his gun and pointed out that it was still loaded, surprise surprise he was loading it with 3 shots as well.

So there is my humble opinion on why you don't load more than 2 cartridges in a semi auto on a clay ground. And yes i shoot a semi auto as well as over and unders.

Be Safe,

Regards,

Not having that, this is why you check and show clear. Bolt back and or flag in! Telling people used to autos not to load more than one in the mag wont stop fingers doing it without the brain in gear. Even a break action double should leave the cage closed.

Why is it a form of cheating to put 3 in for a flush? I shot a flush organised by hitclays and asked before we started if loading 3 was fine and they said yes.

In effect you have an extra shot as opposed to an o/u or sxs

lets say you have a 4 man flush all with auto's, thats 12 cartridges as opposed to 8 if all had o/u or sxs

Whats to stop people with FAC shotguns stoking 5 or 10 at the start?

it gives an unfair advantage.

Not having that, this is why you check and show clear. Bolt back and or flag in! Telling people used to autos not to load more than one in the mag wont stop fingers doing it without the brain in gear. Even a break action double should leave the cage closed.

Yes but far more obvious to the people stood nearby if they do! With a semi unless you can see the slide you won't know...... You can only see the bolt from one side.....

CPSA rules only permit a maximum of two to be loaded at any time for safety reasons in Semi Automatics.[/size]

I was going to say this, i am surprised it didn't come up earlier Edited by Malik

informal clay grounds ie shoots over a bit of land with a couple of traps just ask about or the owner then if its ok with them then do it just make sure its clear and flag in at the end

anything cspa or clay grounds that are registered just load 2 :good: simple really dont want to be banned / kicked off a grounds for that extra shot or many in the case of a fac one

Edited by Mossyoak77

But it never ceases to amaze me that some T***R will always think that they know better.

Edited by Westley

I shoot the Benelli SP auto every year which allows full use of gun, the amount of times competitors try to leave the stand with one up the spout is amazing. The organisers are well aware of this so instruct the referees to keep an eye out for it,most will ask you if it's unloaded before allowing you to leave the stand. The amount of times I have seen it happen though at that event makes me realise it's a good rule, I always check my gun and put a plug in before leaving the stand but that doesn't mean others are so careful.

Also a lot of shooting grounds insurance polices are from the CPSA or require a safety rules from the CPSA to be followed in the policy wording hence only 2 shots allowed and eye and ear protection.

Edited by timps

I shoot the Benelli SP auto every year which allows full use of gun, the amount of times competitors try to leave the stand with one up the spout is amazing. The organisers are well aware of this so instruct the referees to keep an eye out for it,most will ask you if it's unloaded before allowing you to leave the stand. The amount of times I have seen it happen though at that event makes me realise it's a good rule, I always check my gun and put a plug in before leaving the stand but that doesn't mean others are so careful.

Also a lot of shooting grounds insurance polices are from the CPSA or require a safety rules from the CPSA to be followed in the policy wording hence only 2 shots allowed and eye and ear protection.

:good:

If you feel the need to use 3 shots then there is one competition (Benelli) which is specifically set up for this, some stands have 3 clays some have 2 etc etc

As regarding flushes, then its a form of cheating,

Whitfield up here had a problem with it, so said its 2 shots only,

People still loaded 3 so now auto's/pumps are banned

case of a few cheats spoiling it for other auto/pump users that played by the rules

What utter tosh.

yes you could have granted ,but on the last shot the bolt would not stay back and would no gun was not safe .

Believe me the bolt not staying back is not enough, you will eventually walk off with a loaded gun one day. There are about two dozen permutations of how it could happen, it can even happen with only two shells for crying out.

The recoil being softer with three shells is true enough, we just need a manufacturer to address this in a mechanical way by having a button that allows the bolt to return on an empty chamber, but that will then make loading a semi even less fluid !

OK so what do you do if you have a no bird? Or a misfire? Or someone asks you to step out of the cage mid way through the stand? Or one of the many other reasons you may get distracted and step out without the gun being empty?

Still interested in where you shoot.

shoot mendip ,avon smoothbore ,valley clay shoot now and then .

and I was asked to leave the stand would eject carts with gun pointing down range , leave stand with breach open and flag in .

Yes but far more obvious to the people stood nearby if they do! With a semi unless you can see the slide you won't know...... You can only see the bolt from one side.....

All the more reason to look and show others before leaving the stand. Fools have shot people with unloaded doubles in the past at clay grounds. You cannot shoot anyone with a proven empty gun, yet still proper carriage should be used as if nothing else it makes people more comfortable. The only issue with the open bolt is of course if the gun is fitted with a mag cut off, hence checked clear proven clear- it works on every rifle range. More than one in the mag is only a fairness thing shooting against two shot only doubles, not a safety thing. There is only one safe gun an unloaded one checked to be so and proven so to others!