smoking in cars

islandgun

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thin end of the wedge.

I certainly don't agree with people smoking in an enclosed space when children are present, but a car is private property. So what if those parents smoke in their own home with the kids present? Will it then become illegal to smoke in your own home, with the possibility of a visit from the police?

I smoke (too much)

I drive

I own my own home

I have 2 lovely little boys. Aged 3 and 1

I smoke in the garage. My little men do not need to fill their lungs with **** due to my bad habit.

My parents smoked indoors and in the car when I grew up. BUT. They didn't know the dangers of it like we do now.

Forgetting the rights or wrongs of smoking in the car with kids, if this actually makes it onto the statute books it worries me greatly. It is yet another (potential) piece of legislation that is difficult to enforce and will divert attention away from far more serious issues.

I think it is symptomatic of an increasing nanny state and is a cheap attempt at garnering public support - as nobody can justifiably offer any substantive argument to support smoking in a car with kids does not mean that it should be made illegal.

Equally problematic is parents that feed their kids garbage junk food.

Attempted manslaughter if such thing exists springs to mind. euthanasia is illegal so why shouldn't this be, no doubt anyone that disagrees with this smokes,

I'm a reformed smoker (2.5 yrs) stopped for my 2 kids and realize it was just a drug and a disgusting habit ....

No doubt there will be someone that disagrees and moans but I don't think anyone can justify letting third parties kids or not inhaling second hand harmfully fumes from there smoke...

Edited by delburt0

Thin end of the wedge.

I certainly don't agree with people smoking in an enclosed space when children are present, but a car is private property. So what if those parents smoke in their own home with the kids present? Will it then become illegal to smoke in your own home, with the possibility of a visit from the police?

I am fairly certain that a vehicle on a public highway is classed as a public place,i can't find a piece of legislation i want ,but here is a ruling about a dog seized in a car,The judges statement about the legalities of public places/vehicles.

Bates v DPP; QBD (Div Ct) (Rose LJ, Waller J); 25 Feb 1993.

A pit bull terrier, which is defined as a fighting dog under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 has to be muzzled even though it is securely within a car, since, although the inside of the car is not of itself a public place, once the car is in a public place what was inside it was in a public place.

When will big brother break down your front door and arrest you or worse for smoking in your own house? When will he arrest you or worse for drinking a pint too much ,in his opinion,in the comfort of your own home?etc,etc,etc. Criminalise all everyday activities but not war and mass murder as practised and promoted by these same hypocrites. People should waken up to what is happening to their so-called freedoms, they are quickly being eroded by faceless treehugging a,,holes. Ban lead shot,ban shooting,ban hunting,ban ******* in the woods. Read somewhere about someone who said they came for the Jews but I said nothing because I was not a Jew,then they came for the queers but I said nothing because I was not a queer,then they came for the non Christians but again I said nothing because I was a Christian, then they came for me and there was no one to speak for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. By the way I don't smoke and personally think it is a filthy disgusting habit. But so is war.

I think smoking in a car should be illegall full stop. Sorry lads but it's as bad as a phone .if you drop a lit fag in the car it's going to cause you to loose control .

Smoking and phones in a moving car = bad idea

My grandad use to smoke with me in the back and open the window which in turn would blow it straight in the back of the car .

This is only my feelings guys

When will big brother break down your front door and arrest you or worse for smoking in your own house? When will he arrest you or worse for drinking a pint too much ,in his opinion,in the comfort of your own home?etc,etc,etc. Criminalise all everyday activities but not war and mass murder as practised and promoted by these same hypocrites. People should waken up to what is happening to their so-called freedoms, they are quickly being eroded by faceless treehugging a,,holes. Ban lead shot,ban shooting,ban hunting,ban ******* in the woods. Read somewhere about someone who said they came for the Jews but I said nothing because I was not a Jew,then they came for the queers but I said nothing because I was not a queer,then they came for the non Christians but again I said nothing because I was a Christian, then they came for me and there was no one to speak for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. By the way I don't smoke and personally think it is a filthy disgusting habit. But so is war.

i believe this law IF enforced is for the little folk that cannot tell there mums or dads to put there cigs out.

I don't think this issue is as simple as it appears. When my other half and me smoked we never smoked in the house because of the kids. We knew of the possible dangers to their health and chose not to put them at risk by smoking in the house, but it was through choice.

As Poontang suggests, this may be the thin end of the wedge. In your car you are in your own private property, as you are in your house. What is the difference? It is only a very short step to the next stage. Are pregnant women due to be arrested for smoking?

It is common sense not to smoke in the presence of kids, and it has to be the responsibility of adults to have that common sense. Once you replace a persons responsibility with legislation then we're on a slippery slope in my opinion.

what about the little folk that can't tell their mum and dads to stop arguing, or the little folks that can't tell their mum and dads to stop feeding them hydrogenated fats, or the little folks that can't tell their mum and dads to spend more time with them to help their social development, etc, etc

I am not trying to trivialise your point delburt, but where do we draw the line of legislating for things that good sense tells us shouldn't happen?

I personally cannot understand why anybody wants to smoke in a car, with or without any passengers, as it absolutely stinks, but should we potentially be criminalising people for it?

I absolutely support education campaigns and building a social stigma around smoking with kids in the car, but i find it terribly alarming that we want to put legislation in place.

Do we put legislation in place to ensure kids can't watch more than 60 mins of TV per day? I am worried that we are actively encouraging additional legislation and tighter controls.

I am fairly certain that a vehicle on a public highway is classed as a public place,i can't find a piece of legislation i want ,but here is a ruling about a dog seized in a car,The judges statement about the legalities of public places/vehicles.

Bates v DPP; QBD (Div Ct) (Rose LJ, Waller J); 25 Feb 1993.

A pit bull terrier, which is defined as a fighting dog under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 has to be muzzled even though it is securely within a car, since, although the inside of the car is not of itself a public place, once the car is in a public place what was inside it was in a public place.

The vehicle itself is not a public space. However what's inside the vehicle could be construed as being in a public space, as with the dog in your example.

It would be a similar scenario to say that your coat pocket is not a public place, but if you have a knife in your pocket you are classed as having a weapon in a public place.

As far as I know a public space is somewhere the public have, or are permitted to have access.