Hows your season went?

Wildfowler325

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really do not understand why people have to boast about shooting things a such stupid ranges .

If you just said you had a great season and shot 19 geese and 27 duck your fellow fowlers would be saying that's great well done .

Now the chances are they are thinking what a pillock. :yes:

I really do not understand why people have to boast about shooting things a such stupid ranges .

If you just said you had a great season and shot 19 geese and 27 duck your fellow fowlers would be saying that's great well done .

Now the chances are they are thinking what a pillock. :yes:

I seem to recall a thread last year about 100 yard geese!

Not sure why every one is knocking th op about a long range shot? He obviously has the skill to hit birds at that range& it must have been a momarable shot that he wants to share!

Wildfowler325 is there many geese around your way at the mo? Hopefully we'll be up your end again for early October, pleased to hear you had a good season!!

Not sure why every one is knocking th op about a long range shot? He obviously has the skill to hit birds at that range& it must have been a momarable shot that he wants to share!

Wildfowler325 is there many geese around your way at the mo? Hopefully we'll be up your end again for early October, pleased to hear you had a good season!!

This isng a dig and I have no idea how good a shot the poster is but,..

If you picked someone from a bus stop and got him to fire enough shells at long range clays then he would eventually hit one.

Had a decent season. Stopped shooting geese halfway through and happy to watch them fly past :good:

Perhaps he is being knocked because he is happy to pop away at fowl at which there is a far greater chance of wounding that there is a killing .

I know plenty of people who are very , very good shots who would not consider raising the gun at that sort of distance , if he was shooting in a English club he would likely be banned

As it looks like he is shooting the Scottish foreshore then unfortunately he is more free to do what he pleases and no doubt leave a trail of wounded fowl behind him.

The fact you are happy to congratulate him on his feat also shows a lack of ethics on your part IMO

Edited by fenboy

Come on guys give the chap a break we have all done it ,,,,,,, or have we .I know my ole 32 grm steel wont sting your **** at 50 yards let alone 80 yards , the only time I have dropped a duck at 80 yards and over is when I have hit it at 30 yards and they carrie on then drop out. Oh and by the way what do you do with all your geese I find it a struggle to get rid of half a dozen as I am not that keen on them now a days and most of the old boys I gave them to are in the local grave yard pushing up daisys as they say.

With long range shots I sometimes think that Wildfowlers have selective memory, in so much boast about the 80 yard kill but forget the six they pricked at the same range and likewise the fifteen they clean missed. Anyone can have a bit of luck if they throw enough 'lead' in the air, but it is the quarry that suffers.

How does anyone know it's 80 yards?

He said it was 80 yards, could have been a really small Widgeon that looked far away.

When the duck come over I don't usually have time to count the yards, just try and judge whether I can hit or not.

I don't think the point is whether we know its 80 yards or do, its the bloke coming on here boasting about shooting out of range birds. Someone will correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm sure its the same person who was claiming 100 yard geese because he had a super dooper choke last season...

I don't think the point is whether we know its 80 yards or do, its the bloke coming on here boasting about shooting out of range birds. Someone will correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm sure its the same person who was claiming 100 yard geese because he had a super dooper choke last season...

Correct Matt.

He is about 5 Weeks early for April 1st. But IF its a TRUE statement then he is totally irresponsible and has no respect for Quarry or he could be a Troll !!!!

Pretty poor due to all the inland flooding (duck were all over inland this year). Did ok on the Geese early on Sept into Oct, had a fair number more mallard than normal (last season I don't think I shot even one) though maybe slightly less widgeon and my first year without even one single teal ( I have a habit of shooting just one of these diminutive duck most trips out normally).

No big bags, to be fair its just not my thing Shot poorly at times due to various things not least what now turns out is a serious shoulder issue ( I had to stop a good few weeks back due to it). Spent a lot of time watching and leaning on a new marsh though rather than return to the same honey holes, so numbers were bound to suffer even if we had winds and frosts rather than lots of endless rain! looking forwards to next season if I get the shoulder fixed already though.

Best of the season was a widgeon that I stalked and flushed off a freshwater river out as it enters the marsh took the shot on the limits of range (not quite 80 yards :lol: ) and it took a while to drop out onto the soft mud on the other side. The Lab in his first proper season (just gone two years at the time this happened) was called up from his waiting point at the start of the stalk. Sent over the river, having a steep clime down into the flowing water and up and out on the other side over some serious rocks. Then stopped on the whistle and put "back" on what to him was a total blind, maybe approaching 80-100 yards (did I mention it took a while to drop out :rolleyes:? ) were he instantly nailed it (although not yet dead it was not going anywhere) back across the mud down into the water across and up the other side, to make a poor delivery :whistling: but was well happy and that bit seems well sorted now ( he seemed to struggle with a few of the live ones, dropped one particular pheasant three times and had to course the thing all over) Like most things it takes time and familiarity to get to terms with such things

Worst of the season was loosing two geese over a boundary we cannot cross, they glided on set wings over flying our ground (just)only to turn upside down and drop dead over onto the other land neither myself or the dog can enter. I hate that, only lost two duck both were diving one in fast deep and dangerous water and the dog had be called off (see BASC long retrieve it was there on that big gutter on the Ebb)

Well, I think my wildfowling season is now officially over. I had a flight this morning and I don't think i'll go again before the 20th.

I've shot my best ever haul of pinks, including some very memorable flights. I've also had a fair number of mallard and wigeon on the marsh, one lonely pintail and this morning a teal made it's way into the bag.

I've been lucky enough to have been taken out on the Ouse washes a couple of times and I managed to shoot my first ever pochard (a big thanks, Jules!).

On a couple of flight ponds I shot a few times and killed a decent amount of mallard and teal.

I also shot a few Canadas and greys on the stubbles in September.

A very satisfying season for me. I'm hoping for more of the same next season. Now I shall start again on the pigeons..

My first season on the foreshore has been pretty dire , just one wigeon so far !

To be fair I have not really shot the places I would like to shoot as I am between dogs this season , and did not want to shoot stuff I had very little chance of retrieving , next season my lab will be ready and I will put more effort in with some tide flights etc.

I should still get three or four more flights in this week so hopefully something else will grace my game bag.

I have perhaps shot more duck inland than I have for a while , mallard , teal and wigeon , also had some greylag and a pink .

Ok lads had some fruitless flights not even a shot fired but that's fowling . I also on the other hand had some great flights I had the most fighting geese on the foreshore got my first double on the marsh . Was lucky to be out in good company when out cheers lads . On the haul the season was good ( better than being stuck in !) cheers russ

Ok lads had some fruitless flights not even a shot fired but that's fowling . I also on the other hand had some great flights I had the most fighting geese on the foreshore got my first double on the marsh . Was lucky to be out in good company when out cheers lads . On the haul the season was good ( better than being stuck in !) cheers russ

Heck, surprised you were not worked off your feet with all this rainy weather.

Well this season has been average. Had a few 100 yard geese, several teal at 120 yards. The new cylinder choke works wonderful with that no8 lead shot, sorry forgot to say they are 1oz load.

Joking guys, its been a decent season. Met some good wildfowler's, had some good experience's, seen the marsh totally submerged for the first time in 30 plus years of shooting the wash. Had some good flights and far more not so good ones. The dog has worked brilliant. I have taken home somethingef or the pot so that's success I think.

Edited by ayano3