Jack Reacher Books

billytheghillie

Lee Child (like many authors before him) has hit on a successful formula of basically writing the same book over and over again, with enough tweaks to keep it different enough. For me they're very much 'holiday' books to read on the beach in Thailand, a good yarn and has that satisfying 'good guy kicks butt' element.

Here is a Jack Reacher plot:

1. Jack Reacher gets a lift with someone or has a bus ride and ends up in a strange town

2. Gets in trouble with some locals/cops

3. Discovers an injustice/crime

4. Sleeps with a pretty female character

5. Deals with some jeopardy and risk

6. Arms himself then goes in and kills all the bad guys

7. Walks out of town

8. Goto 1

;

Absolutely true. I read half a dozen before I realised it though.

I class them as Mills and Boon for men.

What about some of the James Patterson books featuring Alex Cross?

Edited by Big Al

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chosing Tom Cruise to play him in a movie was a real mistake. It ruined the character for me.

I also think Lee Child's own ego it getting out of control. I saw an interview with hun when the film came out and he came across pretty full of his own importance.

He also felt the need to play a role in his own film- Tarantino style- another needless egotistical act.

In my opinion.

Edited by Big Al

William Lashner....Victor the penniless anti system lawyer...sounds boring ,but a different twist to the usual hero.

Jack Kerley...........In the Blood, The death collector, The hundredth man, Her last scream etc

Brian Freeman.....Immoral, The watcher, The burying Place..

John D Macdonald.....All the Travis Magee series...they all have a colour in the title..A bit dated maybe but excellent stories...One of my favourite fiction writers.

Stephen Leather...Jack Nightingale series...Nightmare, Nightfall,Midnight etc.

Andrew Vachss...Bit more graphic than the usual stuff, but well written stories.

A J Quinnell....The ex mercenary Creasy...Man on Fire made into a film, but nowhere near as good as the book..There are about six books in the creasy series.

Edited by GOLDCREST

Lee Child (like many authors before him) has hit on a successful formula of basically writing the same book over and over again, with enough tweaks to keep it different enough. For me they're very much 'holiday' books to read on the beach in Thailand, a good yarn and has that satisfying 'good guy kicks butt' element.

Here is a Jack Reacher plot:

1. Jack Reacher gets a lift with someone or has a bus ride and ends up in a strange town

2. Gets in trouble with some locals/cops

3. Discovers an injustice/crime

4. Sleeps with a pretty female character

5. Deals with some jeopardy and risk

6. Arms himself then goes in and kills all the bad guys

7. Walks out of town

8. Goto 1

;)

To the OP, even though they are dated now, have you read the original Ian Fleming James Bond books?

Jack Reacher is too "perfect" for me - never makes a mistake, never fails, never has doubts etc. The Fleming James Bond books are infinitely better in my opinion.

I have read all the jr books, got the t shirt ( honestly, I have). Try a Robert Crais, Elvis cole is the pi. Wisecracking but had a sidekick called joe pike who is very similar to reacher. I once at a talk by lee asked lee child who would win in a fight . The answer is they would not fight each other as they are both too clever as neither could win. If you want to move to the next level, slightly more grown up, try the Charlie Parker series by John Connolly . He has an insight in to the dark side of life and a pair of gay hit men who watch his back. He also has a pair of musclemen he uses from time to time who when sent to a mental institute, the drugs made them even more violent. Pulp noir at it's very, very best. James Lee Burke is also very very good. I also have the t shirt advertising clete' detective agency

On a smilier note look at Dan (Da Vinci Code) Brown, his prose is eye-wateringly clunky at times, but he's got a few quid hasn't he..?

If you can come up with plots and write books where the reader simply has to turn the page, great literature doesn't really come into it.

I thought Da Vinci Code was some of the worst writing I've ever experienced (and I read PigeonWatch) - however, I couldn't put the bloody book down, and read it cover to cover in one sitting! Astonishing how someone can write like that. As Thunderbird said, it's turned out alright for Dan Brown!

A book I've just re-read for about the fourth time is CP Snow's 'The Masters' - the writing, the sheer economy and tact with which it is written makes me nostalgic for an age I never knew. Curiously, I've never read any of his other books - The Masters is one of a set of about half a dozen.

In the same vein as Jack Reacher, any of the Stephen Leather books get my vote. Especially 'The Chinaman', which was the first one I read.

And why not give some Wilbur Smith a go? It's been more than ten years since I read any, but he's a great storyteller.

And, although it pains me greatly to say it, I thought that the first 'Game of Thrones' book was excellent. However, I thought it was a standalone novel, and didn't realise it was part of a series. I was pretty fed up when I got to the 'end' and it hadn't ended. :(

When I have forgiven the author for royally mugging me off, I will probably give in and get the rest (although I'll bet that the quality deteriorates when the series catches up with the TV tie-ins).

LS

I can only, in part, repeat what has been said about the "same ole, same ole" of super-hero Reacher. I used to enjoy the books to a limit and then started to think I was re-reading something I'd seen several times before, but just located in another part of the US and with all the characters renamed.

There are glimpses of freshness but all too infrequently and as has been said, Lee Childs is cashing in on a money-spinning formula but why should he care if books he's already written years ago are republished under a new name just because Tom pitches up with a potential series of films based on the premise of an implausibly perfect male lead.

You can sense I'm a cynic! That said, if you like a good story, believable characters that are built in-depth and in story lines which are grisly and punctuated with the blackest of black humour, try Aberdeen's own Logan McRae series by Stuart MacBride.

I can only, in part, repeat what has been said about the "same ole, same ole" of super-hero Reacher. I used to enjoy the books to a limit and then started to think I was re-reading something I'd seen several times before, but just located in another part of the US and with all the characters renamed.

There are glimpses of freshness but all too infrequently and as has been said, Lee Childs is cashing in on a money-spinning formula but why should he care if books he's already written years ago are republished under a new name just because Tom pitches up with a potential series of films based on the premise of an implausibly perfect male lead.

You can sense I'm a cynic! That said, if you like a good story, believable characters that are built in-depth and in story lines which are grisly and punctuated with the blackest of black humour, try Aberdeen's own Logan McRae series by Stuart MacBride.

Must agree Lazarus McRae series absolutely brilliant

I thought Da Vinci Code was some of the worst writing I've ever experienced (and I read PigeonWatch) - however, I couldn't put the bloody book down, and read it cover to cover in one sitting! Astonishing how someone can write like that. As Thunderbird said, it's turned out alright for Dan Brown!

A book I've just re-read for about the fourth time is CP Snow's 'The Masters' - the writing, the sheer economy and tact with which it is written makes me nostalgic for an age I never knew. Curiously, I've never read any of his other books - The Masters is one of a set of about half a dozen.

In the same vein as Jack Reacher, any of the Stephen Leather books get my vote. Especially 'The Chinaman', which was the first one I read.

And why not give some Wilbur Smith a go? It's been more than ten years since I read any, but he's a great storyteller.

And, although it pains me greatly to say it, I thought that the first 'Game of Thrones' book was excellent. However, I thought it was a standalone novel, and didn't realise it was part of a series. I was pretty fed up when I got to the 'end' and it hadn't ended. :(

When I have forgiven the author for royally mugging me off, I will probably give in and get the rest (although I'll bet that the quality deteriorates when the series catches up with the TV tie-ins).

LS

It doesnt

The rest are really well written apart from one,

But he does tell you that at the start, it sort of goes really off track and could have been deleted from the series, I thoroughly enjoyed them and await the next one,

Although I am at least 1 possibly 2 series ahead of the tv show now

:shaun:

Anyone on here read the Jack Reacher books? I have read them all, and just waiting on his latest to be released on paperback. I find them very good reading but question is what do I read next? Any suggestions welcome, as long as they are in the same vein as Reacher.

I have read most of the Jack Reacher stuff. I found them entertaining.

Have a look at David Baldacci, I have been through a couple, and very enjoyable reading.

Edited due to damned predictive text!

Edited by wraivi

I have read most of the Jack Reacher stuff. I found them entertaining.

Have a look at David Baldacci, I have been through a couple, and very enjoyable reading.

Edited due to damned predictive text!

I would say , David Baldacci is perhaps my Favourite author, so many twists and turns , the camel club editions are excellent , and last man standing is brilliant.