Sky lanterns

Sha Bu Le

Watched Country File this a.m. One of the items was about those Chinese sky lanterns we often see floating around.

Farmers want them banned, one has lost 9 cows in 18 months. Cows eating the things when they land including the wire frame.

Fear of damage to crops

Fire started in a caravan storage park 100 destroyed cost said to be around £500,000.

Major fire in West Midland plastic recycling plant. 200 fire fighters and 35 appliances to control it.

All attributed to sky lanterns.

Any members have any negative experiences or thoughts on these.

My own view is they represent such a risk to a lot of areas not just the countryside that they should be banned.

Over to the members

ATB

Bri

About two years ago we were walking home from the pub and noticed one that looked close to our house. About three minutes later as we got in it landed on our gazebo roof , SWMBO suddenly didn't think I was over reacting and a kill joy. We were lucky just a few scorch marks, and the storms have taken care of the problem for me now.

They are already banned under littering IMO, the fat that they set stuff on fire just makes things more important. Insist on fireproof non degradable fireproof tags and full liability landing in the lap of those that release them and its good night god bless to the darn stupid things.

Lets be fair its like chucking junk out your car

Hate the things and should be banned. Seen a few around where I stay and people say I am a killjoy when I say its not a good idea to release them around here. They don't seem to realise 1. the fire risk when they come down and 2. the safety implications as we are directly under the flight path the planes taking off and landing at Edinburgh airport.

Littering by mindless morons, if you want a tribute to a lost loved one plant a tree in their memory or something more constructive than littering the countryside with **** that is dangerous and harmful to livestock. Should be able to trace who purchased them and take them to court for the two and a half grand it costs to buy in decent replacement dairy cattle.

I just do not get it why sensible people seem to think that it is safe to lits something and let it float away to where they have no idea I think that also fireworks should not be on sale to the public when an organised display can be so much better but at least with fireworks they go up and down for the most part you now where they will come down but these lanterns could go for miles its just madness.