Yes or No

fruity

ok a bit of a dispute going on with myself and five shooting colleagues, one off here after we seen a photo in a recent magazine and have very mixed views

so we said lets put it to the vote

Without it turning into a full on semi bashing thread etc etc and it getting locked we are just after a yes or no opinion really

If moderators think its inappropriate for any reason just remove it

QUESTION - Do you think the guy holding the semi auto is holding it safe and correct in your opinion :good:

post-48582-0-47895800-1395525263_thumb.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If its not loaded then I would say safe , he is not pointing it at anyone other than perhaps himself , I know the general saying is always treat a gun as loaded but if you are 100% certain its not (which you should be unless you have the memory of a goldfish) its going to harm no one unless you beat them around the head with it !

I cant see from the photo but there should be a breach flag inserted to show that its unloaded and bolt back. Its a reasurance to others to see it that way.

If there is no flag folks cannot be assured its unloaded. If the bolt is back its still dangerous if he drops it or trips it could slamfire.

Bryan.

no

i like semis but my thoughts are it doesn't matter if you know its safe you have to demonstrate to the people around toy its safe and they cant see that from this picture

But the question is --- is it unsafe or not , appearing unsafe is completely different to being unsafe , to be fair the only person who can give 100% definitive answer is the shooter .

this is correct so edit

it appears to be unsafe

Technically, its not correct or safe.

It could be a left hander, and thus have a breech plug in the other side, but I don't think that's the case, even if it did it's still not safe or correct because it's not 'obviously' safe. That said, he does appear to have his finger/thumb over the barrel...so that'll stop any shell ;-)

I quite often hold my Maxus like this....but, the breech plug would be outward facing and easily visible.

Personally my view would be unsafe. no flag, better to leave it in the gun rack or bring a 'caddy' but also with a flag in it.

Its also a bit hairbrained as, apart from taking his thumb off if it went off, it would leave a nasty graze and burst eardrums. Not to mention the people close to him who would have a fright !!!!

Technically, its not correct or safe.

It could be a left hander, and thus have a breech plug in the other side, but I don't think that's the case, even if it did it's still not safe or correct because it's not 'obviously' safe. That said, he does appear to have his finger/thumb over the barrel...so that'll stop any shell ;-)

I quite often hold my Maxus like this....but, the breech plug would be outward facing and easily visible.

But he has people on the left and right of him , would he keep having to do a twirl to show everyone its got a flag in and safe ?

Edited by fenboy

But if it was in the same state but hidden in a gun slip you'd all think it was fine?

To be fair only the guy himself knows if it's loaded or not, yes a flag could help identify the guns state to others (if it hasn't got one), but he seems to be muzzle aware towards the other folk in the picture at least (it's only a snap shot of time)

What else would you suggest he does, put it muzzle down in the dirt and potentially block the barrel?

Edited by Paul223

Right hand ejection port. Unknown if bolt back or forward as not clear in image. Unknown if gun is unloaded, loaded or made ready. Unknown if hand is at end of barrel or covering muzzle. Unknown range safety protocol. Muzzle straight up in air so not sweeping anyone.

Too many variables and no proof of conditions as stated in post above so assuming:

Worst scenario - Bolt is forward, gun madeready and had covering muzzle with safety off

Best scenario -Bolt back, gun unloaded, safety applied and hand is not covering muzzle.

Really up to interpertation.