Sell me camping with a tent.

Fuddster

Hi All,

I have just a acquired a family sized tent with a view to short trips around the North Yorkshire area during the finer months.

fuddster

The tent bit is fine. The North Yorkshire bit is fine. Its putting them both together....

The place for a tent is under a shady tree on the banks of the Loire next to a well-stocked wine cooler and a BBQ.

Yorkshire's more a warm, dry, self-catering holiday cottage within walking distance of a good pub sort of a place. At my age anyway.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tent bit is fine. The North Yorkshire bit is fine. Its putting them both together....

The place for a tent is under a shady tree on the banks of the Loire next to a well-stocked wine cooler and a BBQ.

Yorkshire's more a warm, dry, self-catering holiday cottage within walking distance of a good pub sort of a place. At my age anyway.

Or fly to Limoge and have the use of the father in laws house.

dragging the bairns on a flight isnt my sort of fun-at my age anyway.

your contrast is attractive though.

f.

Guest rimotu66

Well ive gone soft and bought a caravan but I do have a very large 4 man tent with sleeping bags and double mattresses all never used that I bought for a aborted IOM TT holiday a few years ago, I will be putting it in the for sale section as soon as I find out what make etc it is.

I used to love tenting but my aching body will no longer play ball so it had to be a caravan. Just try it and if you don't like you can sell the tent.

don't listen to them slagging it of , some people enjoy some are to snobby ,I'm 48 and take the kids wife and MIL she is 75 , it's wot you make it, we go abroad every year as well in all inclusive , done caravans and even owned a fifty grand hymer motor home ,but still like to rough it under canvass.

Edited by bullet1747

I agree get out there and get in the great outdoors, I always go to sites that let you have a fire, tis the law. You have to have a fire when camping,

Atb

Flyyny

100% agree

I won't go to one that won't allow fires. Camping can be great; how great depends on what you want to get out of it and what you expect. For us, we avoid sites that have neatly clipped, uniform, pre-marked pitches and anywhere that has 'entertainment' or a restaurant. We like rough and ready, pitch where you like places that have good showers and preferably near the sea. Ideally somewhere where the kids can disappear into the woods and make friends and not come back until dusk. Last year we went camping for nearly 3 weeks in France and Switzerland which was great but not really proper camping, more like a supermarket version of camping - efficient but soulless.

Nothing better than BBQs, fires, beer, books, early nights, early mornings.

I must admit, I'm not a fan of big scale camping with a castle sized tent and all the amenities of home. Granted one thing that is a must is a good shower, and running water. Beyond that I'm not fussed. Everything I take must fit in one ruck sack and if the tent can fit more than two people its too big. Then again I'm one of those odd people who walks 30 miles a day and climbs mountains with all my stuff on for my amusement.

I do agree though, camping done right is absolutely fantastic!

Edited by cant hit rabbits 123

Camping in the CCF is fun, we get one tarp, 6 bungee cords, a sleeping bag and a ration pack... and patrol and ambush drills at 1:30am ;)

I agree that glamping or whatever it's called is pointless as it is a half experience. Go the whole way, or if you're stuck for things to do go night fishing!

Edited by double10

Camping done properly is great, and what memories are made of as far as your kids are concerned. It is just good fun.

Downside is that to do it properly you need quite a bit of kit, which takes up a lot of room. Roof box or pickup essential.

Personally I would forget taking the dog/s. That is a major hassle.

Yeah. We used to go tenting years ago with the kids because we liked tenting, BUT If you've never done it before I would try it at home in the garden in case it gets difficult. The novelty soon wears off when everyone is cold, wet and bored stupid. As stated you do need more than you think when you've got kids with you. Firstly go with the Mrs and leave the kids and dog at home. We stopped tenting because you cant guarantee good weather and the cost of it all was as much as if we went on a foreign package. We also wanted to travel the world and we can do this country when we are older **** and cant get the insurance cover to drive ect and then go on coach trip holidays.

That pic of the transit reminds me of a van load of drunken Geordies that arrived on site in the early hours and had no idea of how to set up the tent and frame. it was raining and blowing AND the transit engine was running AND the alternator belt was screaming AND the drunken women in the van were verbally abusing the blokes AND the other tenters were verbally abusing the whole lot of them. It was an amusing performance and in the morning the tent had been erected to form some sort of random origami sculpture. There were so many complaints to the site owners that the Geordies were invited to camp somewhere else. Happy memories. It can be great fun though.

PS To be comfortable your tent needs as much free space as the sleeping area to cook, sit and move about in. Try sitting on your bed all day or cooking outside when it rains.

I do loads of camping.. solo in my hennessy hammock and when with the kids in our OUtwell Indian lake... hardly hardship mind, it is heated (even without electric hook-up) cool in summer, warm in winter... awesome when it's lashing down or snowing outside! last winter up in scotland it was -4 outside and +20 in!! B)

If you are not hardened 'wild camping' types, the sites you choose will make all the difference... if you are in north yorks have a look at 'The Hideaway @ Baxby Manor.' Bleeding awesome... the facilities block is 4*, wash rooms, laundry and limited pitches (some with hook ups) strict site rules mean no loud roudy types after 11pm so fantastic for the family..

The only downside we found with the hideaway is that they sell this locally produced cider! they do a golden, a blush and a ruby... think i'd gone through a bottle of each on the first night!

Anyhoo... check it out... awesome place! this is our glamping tent (not our actual one but the same as!)

photo-s1-2.jpg

I camp a lot but not this campsite malarky as I might aswel stay under something with a proper roof.... The kind of camping I do is now more commonly known as wild camping (now its cool and mainstream), you find somewhere you want to camp and camp!

I spend alot of time in the summer boating going up estuary's or the like searching for uncamped beach or the like.... proper escapism.

I camp a lot but not this campsite malarky as I might aswel stay under something with a proper roof.... The kind of camping I do is now more commonly known as wild camping (now its cool and mainstream), you find somewhere you want to camp and camp!

I spend alot of time in the summer boating going up estuary's or the like searching for uncamped beach or the like.... proper escapism.

I take it that you are in, or go to Scotland for that?

Camping is great fun.

It's the sense of adventure - somewhere you can have a fire is nice - somewhere remote is also nice (Not so good with the kids mind).
I do my fair share of camping - I have camped in very remote places with just me and my girlfriend and some mates with small tents, fire, food, booze and an acoustic guitar - perfect for a nice escape. The key is to return the area you were back to look like you hadn't been all but occasionally leaving a note in a glass bottle burried somewhere you can recognise and trying to find it the next year!
Many a nice evening was had sat under the stars telling stories and having a few drinks and a singalong haha.
Then we had kids…. camping then changed to:
Finding a campsite with the MOST amenities which HAS to include:
Electric hook up (So I can have a whole multitude of gadgets on the go, last time even including microwave and TV)
Heated showers/toilets
Pub (Most important bit)
Swimming pool/spa centre nearby
Gosh how things have changed.

Yeah. We used to go tenting years ago with the kids because we liked tenting, BUT If you've never done it before I would try it at home in the garden in case it gets difficult. The novelty soon wears off when everyone is cold, wet and bored stupid. As stated you do need more than you think when you've got kids with you. Firstly go with the Mrs and leave the kids and dog at home. We stopped tenting because you cant guarantee good weather and the cost of it all was as much as if we went on a foreign package. We also wanted to travel the world and we can do this country when we are older **** and cant get the insurance cover to drive ect and then go on coach trip holidays.

That pic of the transit reminds me of a van load of drunken Geordies that arrived on site in the early hours and had no idea of how to set up the tent and frame. it was raining and blowing AND the transit engine was running AND the alternator belt was screaming AND the drunken women in the van were verbally abusing the blokes AND the other tenters were verbally abusing the whole lot of them. It was an amusing performance and in the morning the tent had been erected to form some sort of random origami sculpture. There were so many complaints to the site owners that the Geordies were invited to camp somewhere else. Happy memories. It can be great fun though.

PS To be comfortable your tent needs as much free space as the sleeping area to cook, sit and move about in. Try sitting on your bed all day or cooking outside when it rains.

Not all us Geordies are louts!

I can relate to that incident tough! We have camped in a few places where geordies have landed, and they were rather loutish! Drinking boxes of stella and having camp fires. Out till 4am carrying on! Then when challanged, they moan saying "were on holiday!"

Reality check! "So is everybody else!"

Me n the other half get miffed when were on Holiday, and people just don't know when to stop drinking, or how to get back to their hotel room, without waking the entire hotel!

Chanting football songs, Littering the campsites, using the bush rather than walking to the toilet block, Domestics, Drunken behaviour and late night parties! should all be enough to get people thrown off the site there and then! It's unfair on everyone else, who expects a nice peaceful holiday!

If you were to camp next to me, you would see a different picture to the transit mob!

Hey Vipa thats a cool tent -

Jeez just seen how much they are!!

Managed to get a good deal on it... far bigger than it looks, footpringt is almost 6m square!

Proper poly cotton tent fabric... the difference from run of the mill nylon tents is HUGE... feels very luxuious and palacial.. downside is weight.. whole lot comes in at over 50KGs.. certainly couldnt backpack with it but I went for that one a.. because it is different and b.. because it is supported by one central pole meaning I can put it up myself if I'm on my own in a forest in Scotland etc!

I take it that you are in, or go to Scotland for that?

Why? Do the Gypsies? :lol:

I used to pack a tent and head into the forrests in the Lake district! walk down into the villiage the following morning and into the camp sites to use their showers :D

I know how the poster felt! All on your own,.Just the sound of the wind in the tree's, The creaking of the branches, The owls etc. Magic!

Not all us Geordies are louts!

I can relate to that incident tough! We have camped in a few places where geordies have landed, and they were rather loutish! Drinking boxes of stella and having camp fires. Out till 4am carrying on! Then when challanged, they moan saying "were on holiday!"

Reality check! "So is everybody else!"

Me n the other half get miffed when were on Holiday, and people just don't know when to stop drinking, or how to get back to their hotel room, without waking the entire hotel!

Chanting football songs, Littering the campsites, using the bush rather than walking to the toilet block, Domestics, Drunken behaviour and late night parties! should all be enough to get people thrown off the site there and then! It's unfair on everyone else, who expects a nice peaceful holiday!

If you were to camp next to me, you would see a different picture to the transit mob!

Guilty as charged in the past for those two in bold :-(. (Luckily took some growing up pills!)

Funnily enough was on a business trip a long while a go and not knowing my hotel room ended up getting me somewhere else to stay with someone I certainly wasn't unhappy about staying with (With my beer goggles on that was).

I have also had to pee in a bush on a camp site in the middle of the night, I had a few lagers and woke up and by the time I got the flipping zip undone and out of my sleeping bag it was bordering on too late!

WOuldn't be impressed if someone did anything more than a pee in a bush though!

We go camping on one of my perms (cattle farm) every year for three or four days, have a twenty acre field to ourselves next to the Thames. Everything cooked on a fire which the kids spend most of their time collecting wood for, fishing and drop in a few cray nets, take the air arms and a shotty for some clays as I keep a trap at the farm, agreed that weather can be a pain but if it's fine a more relaxing shut down I can't think of, my only advice is fill the car with as much as you can cause it's better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Ging gang goolie