Caught speeding - advice

djrwood

I hope this comment was tongue in cheek, if not then your comment is absolute nonsense , I had picked up a SP30 6 months before my renewal, included it on my renewal form and it was never mentioned at my interview, renewal granted for SG and ticket opened for my F/Arms.

Two friends of mine in the Durham area were asked this very question, even not wearing seat belts were brought into it.

Must depend on where you are, my licence was a mess when I was granted.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait till your renewal.

Too irresponsible to stick to speed limits, are you responsible enough to hold a shotgun cert?

these are the questions the feo will ask.

This is scaremongery. Do not be ridiculous. I know for a FACT this is not going to have any impact on his certificate. I know a couple of FEOs who have had had several speeding tickets themselves, one has had two the last year alone. When about 18 months ago I was caught doing 90 on the motorway and called to tell my FEO he laughed his backside off over the phone at me worrying.

Speeding doesnt seem to affect your suitability to own firearms, yet.

However, speeding displays an alarming lack of care for your fellow human beings. Properly set speed limits link reaction time to hazard perseption to likelihood of hazards. At 20 MPH 80% of people (inc children), struck by a car, survive, at 30 moh 20 % survive and at 40 mph most die.

Work it out. Isnt it the same mental process as drinking up to the limit and slightly beyond?

Someone one day will equate the two and 50 in a 30 area will be seen as dangerous, irrational, uncaring, socially irresponsible, stupidity. In my opinion if speed limits are set to guide not meet residents'needs', then thats exactly what it is.

Because the powers that be have decided it is. Also even if no road speed signs you can tell from the street lamp poles as per the highway code

This isn't the case apparently

When I did my speed awareness course it was mentioned about lampposts and we were told there will be signs for anything above 30mph, no signs, its a 30, despite the light spacing.

Wait till your renewal.

Too irresponsible to stick to speed limits, are you responsible enough to hold a shotgun cert?

Are you for real? my wife had a ban for speeding which didn't effect her FAC or SGC application, I also have 3 points which didn't effect me.

To the OP, take it on the chin and learn from your mistake, I got a SP50 for 94mph on the M62 driving back from a customer site (my only offence in 11yrs), I have since bought a car with cruise control!

Years ago I was late for work. It was along a very long straight which at the end if ut was a 30mph zone. A rather young lady copper jumped out of the hedge row with a speed gun. She asked, what was the rush? I explained I was late for work, her reply was, well, your going to be a lot later now ain't you. I just took the ticket and said, "have a nice day lol".

The moral of the story is, don't speed or you might get caught, if caught, just take it like a man "or woman". Its not the end of the world and it won't affect your sgc or your fac

Edited by superspark

The last time I got caught speeding it was 98 mph on the M25 and I was in a train of cars on the outside lane - I was the last one in the train and got lasered.

The coppers were fine - we had a bit of a game where they asked how fast I thought I was going (whilst hiding the number) and I said a solid 90 but not as fast as the Saab turbo in front of me or the guards red 911 that undertook all of us.

They said 98 mph and they would deal with it by the roadside - I said lovely where do I sign. They seemed surprised I wasn't bleating and we got it done. It reminded me like getting an excess baggage surcharge at the airport - it is what it is and it's about stats and revenue.

There were no lectures, no suggestions I slow down and no commentary on my driving. It was a simple monetary transaction.

I haven't changed my driving, the points are gone and no doubt I'll get some more in due course. It's a numbers game.

I would love for the self righteous Sunday drivers on this thread to sit in the outside lane of any motorway and stick to 70 mph or even 80 mph - it would be funny to watch.

And to think, all those mad Germans and their dangerous driving on the their Autobahns.....

A valid point and agree with most of it Mungler. As Clarkson said, if it was about safety, there would be a speed camera outside every school in the country. On Motorways a lot of it is all about money.

Cameras and laser traps do not catch the drunk, drugged or plain dangerous ( like the fool who undercut me whilst i was towing a trailer at some lights and forced me into the other carriageway)

In a built up 30 limit, i think it's different, on a country lane, it's 30 because of horses, farm gates.

Get the impression that this is the first time. If so and you're offered the Speed Awareness Course, grab it.

Not at 41mph to fast to be offered an awareness course,so will be points, nice to see the oh so perfect members :innocent: of pigeon watch out in full force showing their outrage.

KW

Wait till your renewal.

i picked up a speeding fine before my renewal and he never mentioned it..

Wait till your renewal.

What a load of ****, earth calling bunny killer on whatever planet you are on, when people are getting FAC's and shotgun certs after much more serious crimes,some after being in prison for violence do you really think they are going to be bothered about a speeding fine

Geordie

What a load of ****, earth calling bunny killer on whatever planet you are on, when people are getting FAC's and shotgun certs after much more serious crimes,some after being in prison for violence do you really think they are going to be bothered about a speeding fine

Geordie

The wording which they make take account of "of intemperate habits", driving signficantly over the limit is the equivalent of intemperate habits, speeding isnt for FACSGC yet, as we all regard speeding as a 'right' until someone is killed or seriously injured.

I will always be of the opinion that driving too fast (whether with a 30,40,50 or de-restricted section ) is a selfish and inconsiderate thing to do if the limit is properly set, simply because it should be 'good safety guidance'.

If you ignore guidance it becomes an offence. If you radically exceed the limit then we display anti-social tendencies. We would all view excessive speeding in a different way if the consequence of it resulted in a personal loss. I dont have to a family member involved, to know how I would (more than likely) feel so I tend to stick to limits which are set correctly. Motorway limit should be revisited and, in my view increased but it also needs enforcement of lane discipline to make higher speeds safer.

Edit - spelling

Edited by Kes

All this stuff about renewal is a bit hysterical isn't it? Lets look at what the guidance notes for grant or renewals say shall we...

You must not withhold information about any conviction. This includes motoring
offences, binding overs, formal written warnings, cautions and convictions in and outside
Great Britain, and (by virtue of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order
1975) convictions which are spent under the 1974 Act. A conditional discharge and an
absolute discharge both count as convictions for this purpose. Details of parking offences
and fixed penalty notices do not need to be declared.
:yes:

Like other Emergency service workers on PW, l claim exemption regards speed limits (and certain other road rules and regulations) whilst responding to emergencies, or conveying to hospital.

Are you in the emergency services Mungler, hence your reason for exceeding speed limits ?

Have you attended numerous fatalities, caused by excessive speed ... have you looked inside an up turned car and had to count 2-3 times to work out just how many bodies are actually inside the vehicle, and thought which limb does the belong to ?

Ive seen grown men crying inconsolably at the scene of an accident, making every effort to convince others, they are not to blame for the carnage .. but prior they had a ' well everyone does it attitude ' honestly l wasn't speeding , lm not really sure what happened attitude, are they okay in the other cars, will they be okay ? .. whilst sobbing .... Mungler, l hope your speeding doesn't kill someone through careless driving through excessive speed ... lve come across people with your attitude so often over the years ... not for a minute do l believe you will slow down .. your just one of the thousands out there, that raises the risk for others