Brancaster

scolopax

It would feel disloyal, not a betrayal, that's taking things too far, but, I don't know, guilty somehow, does that sound silly? I can't quite express the feeling in words.

I'm not saying it's something I'd never do, I'm old and I want to shoot the marsh I shot with my Dad, so long ago and that's not silly at all.

It'll leave a bitter taste mate. However, arguing with Kent is a lot like arguing with the wife, it's seems the right thing to do, but you know you've lost before you start, lol.

bobshooting, I've never argued with my wife. My mother told me never interrupt a woman when she's talking.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"True Wildfowlers..."

I was born and raised in North London, with no family or geographical links to wildfowling, but due to some seditious and corrupting material I read in the 1980's by one Mr. A. Jarrett.

He's still at it Diabolo.

Yes, the man is a blimmin' menace and something should be done!

What's worse is the bloke who was allocated as my mentor when I first joined KWCA did all he could to foster this terrible ambition of mine, selfishly giving up his own time and passing on knowledge gleaned from years of experience to make sure I would never escape from this deadly addiction!

Dnt I bought common rights 10 years ago on cl 65 and yes you are right I along with others out of the area bought that right at great personal expence to fowl there as as an outsider from Yorkshire.

I wasn't able to join a parochial club there as they wouldn't let me but I didn't moan about it like panorama paul or anyone else I dug deep for the right to do it as an "individual", I have no issue with anyone buying "a or a share of a common right and good luck to them but not a large club masquerading as some kind of charity through some loophole on I/4 share of a right it just doesn't sit well with me.

For the record, I have never tried to get into any of the clubs in question Double Bore, I know there would be little chance anyway because I'm not local! so I am not guilty, as accused, of moaning about not being allowed to join their closed shop.

I am though complaining about the on-going parochial nature of some clubs and their membership because if all clubs had acted like them in the past wildfowling would have died years ago (I certainly would not be a wildfowler as I live in the landlocked Midlands) I have no issues with Brancaster or the common rights or any individuals who have paid to own them! it is a market commodity.........so when a share becomes available in the future it is open to anyone who is prepared to and can pay the asking price.

The issue I currently have is certain members of the closed shop clubs in the area trying to sustain and justify their on-going selfish parochialism by muddying the water and implying that Brancaster is being 'stolen' in the same way they allege Thornham has been, which is obviously not true!

Dnt So what you are a saying is the right you bought as a quarter share means there will only be one kent wildfowler on the marsh at any one time ? if so that is fair and I have no problem with that what so ever and I cant see that anyone else will ,

But who will you be naming on the share ? because the wildspaces fund doesn't sound like a person to me, I think if Kent were a bit more receptive to questions or your motives were more transparent with other common right holders especially the ones that have invested a lot of money to be on the marsh there might not be as much hostility well especially from me anyway.

DNT perhaps if you had read and understood my post correctly. You would have seen I stated " OUTSIDERS getting in through the back door eg commoner rights ( NOT ALL ) due to shooting pressure had moved the Pinks on. Something I'm sure even DD would/will agree on. And when they built up at Thornham along comes Kent and the same thing has/is happening. I do note that your permits at Thornham have dropped from 6 to 3 a day BUT why was this !!!! I do know enough about the way the commoner rights work. As I personally know people who have them. Just a thought perhaps Kent member has bought the 1/4 share and going to take his closest mates as guests 5-6 times a season !!!!!! Who knows !!!!! But making statements like you have just done IMHO just comes across it's your self and Kent who DON'T give a monkeys who you upset who's ground it is your going to have one way or the other . I'll stick to clubs I can trust thank you. Yes there will be some high shooting some fall outs but at least the Pinks will be there in good numbers for years to comes oh guess what the club's are full of outsider's and locals who are kept in check by the LOCAL run Clubs. No more to say on Thornham or Brancaster. All try to enjoy your coming season and good luck Cheers SB

Edited by stalkerboydy

DNT , Quote “Anser2 tries to adopt some sort of moral high ground by saying he would not muscle in others' shooting, when we all know the real reason is because he is sitting pretty on cheap, exclusive shooting rights.

Last year I spent £500 on my wildfowling rents in Norfolk , some of which is open to any fowler in the country. I do not consider that cheap in Norfolk terms though you obviously do, but I guess it may be cheap compared to wealthy Kentish clubs standards. You appear to making up stories out of thin air about my opinions to sharing shooting. I have already stated on this forum in the past that I have permission to shot pigeons on a couple of farms and on one of the farms there is a guy who has been shooting pigeons for years and I will not shoot on that farm unless the pigeons are doing serious damage and even then only if the other guy is unable to tackle them. I may have permission to shoot there , but it is not my shooting , it’s the other guys , he was there first. So yes from that angle it looks as though my moral standards are a lot higher than yours.

DNT, Quote “I say again we are in this for Wildfowling and the ability for new and old blood to find areas to shoot in or near their locality with or without your blessing.

Now the true colours of your club are showing. You are looking to take over wildfowling ground wherever and when ever it suits you and to hell with the guys who already shoot there. You seem to be unable to grasp that your clubs actions are having a knock on effect on other fowlers in the area or perhaps you just do not care. Your statement confirms that your club is the enemy within and a serious threat to the future of all wildfowlers who are not members of your club.

DNT, Quote “For far too long the majority have been like a sleeping tiger, well we're going to wake them! “

So what gives you and your club the right to wake us up. Has it not occurred to you we are already awake and fighting. Over the years we have had our battles with various threats to wildfowling from the RSPB to NE to raising funds to protect the breeding grounds of pink feet when their main breeding ground was threatened by a hydro electric scheme. I have raised funds for BASC in many ways including contributing to the last edition of the New Wildfowler. Over the past decade I have razed thousands of pounds for wildfowling including several clubs such as East of Scotland , Devon and Rockland WA. I have also been involved at an international level in the conservation of threatened species of wildfowl.

And now you have arrived on the scene and think we need waking up and should jump to your vision of what wildfowling should be.

DNT, Quote “Tell the real truth, you jealously guard what you have to the exemption of all others and you attack anyone who dares to challenge that view”

Yes we guard our wildfowling from threats in the same way I would expect you to guard your shooting in Kent. Are you saying you would be happy if a Norfolk club took over some of your shooting on the Medway or Swale?

As to the excemption of all others , one of my clubs is open to anyone in the country and on my clubs and own marsh and farms I have taken dozens of wildfowlers and pigeon shooters from all over the country ( three of them are involeved with this post , from Linconshire , Cambridgeshire and the Humber so hardly local ) to say I am excempting others is not true , but there again the truth does not seem to worry you. You have shown a talent for this in these posts for making presumptions about me without knowing what you are talking about.

Everything you say confirms my and many others opinion of your club, greedy and not caring about the wildfowling of others

anser2, as I have saiid before we seem to be along way apart with our views on the future of Wildfowling and also our views of each other. We do not know each other and there may well be misunderstandings on all sides. You and I are forming opinions on each other based purely on posts. I feel like others that there is not much more to say on the subjects of Thornham, Brancaster and BASC Chairman. I have stated before that in the end History will be the judge. The one thing I do accept is that the one glimmer of hope for us all, is that we are all Wildfowlers and care passionately about the sport, if not from the same angle.

Anyone who has read my posts knows that I'm no supporter of Kent, but they won't allow the Geese to be shot off, that would be against their own best interests, as a Club and as genuine Wildfowlers. It just doesn't make sense.

If Geese numbers are declining and I think that indisputable, it is in their best interests as a club and as Wildfowlers to discover why and deal with it. They maybe bad, that's fair comment, but even their numerous enemies must admit they didn't get as successful as they are through mismanagement of Marshes.

As for Permit Daily Numbers, it doesn't matter if they are 3,6 or whatever, NE have decided the number of gun-days the Marsh can stand in a season, Kent,or anyone else, can't exceed that. They can of, course, shoot less than that.

The crux of this it seems to me is this, I don't think the Stewardship of Norfolk Marsh should be in Kents hands, to be fair, I don't think Kent Marsh shouldbe in the Stewardship of Norfolk hands; but that's not the same as saying that they, or us, don't know how to do it, it's saying this is my home, get off it and I'll stay off yours.

Myself and and everybody may as well **** into the wind on this thread or any other if your looking for a solid answer to any direct question asked of kent, and to be fair its nothing that any other club would do in the same situation.
Partly they are doing nothing that I/ us have done ie outsiders buying common rights but its the way they look to be or are twisting the the right for the benefit of all their club members which is totally wrong and I fear will have dire effect for the area because where does it stop ? if kent get their way through a tecnicality their is nothing to stop me or 10 or more right holders or more selling there shares to any club for the benefit of their membersto use which will lead to over more over shooting.
Kent have the right idea in principle and they should be applauded for it but not at the expense of others if they were in their own county well fair do's but their not and are putting the backs up of a lot of clubs country wide with their actions.
I can see a major pull to with wildfowling clubs in the future to stop kent and their selfish actions and I would welcome that, a number of clubs working together pooling resources and forgetting basc which to my mind looks compromised with AJ as the chairman and his links to kent.
So a kind of new born wagbi if you like but with like minded fowlers and not ones on a greedy land grab mission

Unfortunately I could only watch it with the sound off, so I don't know which club they were supposed to be members of or not. But 150 duck between 7 guns is over 20 each, 15 too many In my opinion, but that is just mine.

If you want to bag up with ducks, go and shoot them on a commercial shoot, no one would bat an eyelid to those numbers.

I cannot see how any club (not just those connected to the Medway) would allow videos like that to be posted, all it does is give more fuel to anti shooting organisations.

how many would like to see something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVOj7wghvgg happen on their local marsh(or any marsh)!

would just like too see what other wildfowlers opinions would be

If it is the video i think it is, it is a private syndicate, who shoot out on an island in the medway its a shame about some peoples mentallity, they clearly have no understanding of wildfowling as a sport and just go out to shoot as many of ducks as they can. but on a whole videos like this reflect bad on all.

If it is the video i think it is, it is a private syndicate, who shoot out on an island in the medway its a shame about some peoples mentallity, they clearly have no understanding of wildfowling as a sport and just go out to shoot as many of ducks as they can. but on a whole videos like this reflect bad on all.

Yes this is a private marsh nothing to do with KWCA and dare I say it this is how Thornham could have ended up .

I can't see many thoroughbred Norfolk men on this one. Everyone can spell and has life experiences all over our country. ZZZZZZZ yarn.

Hev you gort a loight buoy? Yer ol ******' furrigors. ****

The other matter i've come across is that half of the "expert" posters have thruppence worth of posts between them. So they can **** off.

If I want to shoot the marshes of Norfolk I damn well will do.

Edited by Whitebridges

I can confirm that this is a private shoot on an Island in the Medway who shoot on a syndicate basis paying around

a £100 per day.

You may want to check these facts, probably best ask AJ as he shot it a few times and wrote about it in one of his books as a guest shooting his record bag, the invites stopped when he tried to lease the mud around the island and cut the duck off going to the island....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This subject has been hashed over far to much, doubtless usually by me, lol.

However, just out of completeness, I attended a meeting this week at which I was told, by someone who used to work for BASC, that Kent Wildfowlers had purchased a 1/4 share of a Common Right at Brancaster and on the strength of that share, intended to allow it's members to shoot on the Marsh.

If anyone could confirm that my source is reliable I should be grateful if they would.

I have no axe to grind here, I've never shot there and almost certainly never will, I'm curious is all.

Maybe they took up your offer turbomitzi?

This subject has been hashed over far to much, doubtless usually by me, lol.

However, just out of completeness, I attended a meeting this week at which I was told, by someone who used to work for BASC, that Kent Wildfowlers had purchased a 1/4 share of a Common Right at Brancaster and on the strength of that share, intended to allow it's members to shoot on the Marsh.

If anyone could confirm that my source is reliable I should be grateful if they would.

Yes, that pretty much sums it up.

But as they point blank refuse to say what their plans are then we will have to wait and see.

Edited by scolopax