Firearms ban need advise

The law is quite clear.

Under the requirements of section 21 of the Firearms Acts, your man is a PROHIBITED PERSON FOR LIFE.

End of discussion.

As Charlie indicated in his post; if you ignore the situation and carry on as you proposed you would render yourself liable to prosecution and the loss of your SGC.

webber

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've briefly looked at everyone's comment, but who's to know if the friend has been in prison anyway?

When any "visitor" comes to any of our Club clay Shoots they are asked to sign a decleration stating that they are not banned from holding or using a firearm under the Firearms Act!

In my line of work, I deal with many male and female people who have served prison sentences. I remember speaking to one male, who had served 5 years for stabbing someone, albeit in self defence as the stabbed person tried to stab him. While speaking about firearms etc, he told me that he is banned for life for using a firearm, even an air rifle. He also said that he is banned from buying or setting off fireworks, even a sparkler!

He would never have got 5 years if it had been in the circumstances you cite. The example is laughable. As for members judging him - the Court already passed the judgement, which I accept. You seem to know better. Perhaps, if you had been the defending Barrister, he would have been given some sort of award rather than a prison sentence.

The man can't be trusted with a knife so why would anyone let him near firearms?

Why the hostilities Mr Holier than thou? You don't know all the facts, so your case closed attitude can't be justified or backed up with any evidence. It's this attitude that puts people who have acted rightiously in a bad situation behind bars.

The OP said he had been sentenced to 5 years.

I don't know why the subject of the knife offence or any plea not to judge him were ever mentioned.

This should have been a straight question. Someone has been sentenced to 5 years in prison - for whatever - can he use firearms? The answer has been given - no.

The rest is irrelevant.

The law is quite clear.

Under the requirements of section 21 of the Firearms Acts, your man is a PROHIBITED PERSON FOR LIFE.

End of discussion.

As Charlie indicated in his post; if you ignore the situation and carry on as you proposed you would render yourself liable to prosecution and the loss of your SGC.

webber

:yes::yes::yes:

The Law is clear, the answer is No!

Any debate about his guilt or otherwise was established by a court, seems he didn't appeal! There is no point in any debate about his motives......... the answer is still No!

There's no doubt about the answer being no with regards the op's question. It does amaze me though that there are some here who can come to conclusions that are in their heads correct, without having all the pieces of the puzzle. It has been proven before that putting your faith in the justice system is somewhat optimistic.

So much for not judging him

Some of u must have some group of friends or do u just dump any friends that don't suit ur firearms ownership?

As it stands the answer is NO

but

I know a couple of people who have done a bit of time in the past and they have FAC's as well as shotguns, think 1 went down for attempted murder a long long time ago and ended up in the BarL (probably 1 of scotland toughest jails).

If ur mate is keen he may still be able to apply to get ban lifted for a shotgun use or even owning 1, but i doubt it will be easy. Will all depend on his circumstances

Prob get some proper advice possibly BASC or even a private lawyer that speciallises in firearms law

That lawyer bloke Barrington Jones??? wrote an article a while about it in that modern gamekeeping saying if ur offence was long enough ago and u could show u have turned life around no reason why u shouldn't own a shot gun.

Most folk have done stuff as a youngster (apart from most on PW it seems) don't know why 1 mistake should affect u for rest of ur life(if u have genuinely changed)

So much for not judging him

Some of u must have some group of friends or do u just dump any friends that don't suit ur firearms ownership?

As it stands the answer is NO

but

I know a couple of people who have done a bit of time in the past and they have FAC's as well as shotguns, think 1 went down for attempted murder a long long time ago and ended up in the BarL (probably 1 of scotland toughest jails).

If ur mate is keen he may still be able to apply to get ban lifted for a shotgun use or even owning 1, but i doubt it will be easy. Will all depend on his circumstances

Prob get some proper advice possibly BASC or even a private lawyer that speciallises in firearms law

That lawyer bloke Barrington Jones??? wrote an article a while about it in that modern gamekeeping saying if ur offence was long enough ago and u could show u have turned life around no reason why u shouldn't own a shot gun.

Most folk have done stuff as a youngster (apart from most on PW it seems) don't know why 1 mistake should affect u for rest of ur life(if u have genuinely changed)

There is no debate to be had here, the answer is no, a court decided his guilt/sentence and they had far more information than we do.

A 5 year sentence for a knife crime is not scrumping apples when we were young.

If the OP, or the party involved is that concerned he should have appealed and/or subsequently taken legal advise, further debate here on the merits of the case (which nobody knows) are pointless.

And yes, if a shooting buddy of mine was sentenced to 5 years for a knife crime, whilst he may remain a buddy he would never come shooting with me again!

Edited by Dekers

Not debateing or disagreeing with anything other than some peoples attiude.

If OP's mate wants to shoot he will have to get proper legal advice for over turning the ban and go throu the courts to do it properly, depending on wot the circumstances it may not be a lost cause.

Why the hostilities Mr Holier than thou? You don't know all the facts, so your case closed attitude can't be justified or backed up with any evidence. It's this attitude that puts people who have acted rightiously in a bad situation behind bars.

Okay - publish the full facts. The full facts were available to the court - the Judge sentenced the man - not me. On what basis are you saying the Judge got it wrong?

You don't appear to be one to let facts cloud any issue.

Either get a chip for your other shoulder or dump the one you have. :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Chuck - I agree - the answer is clear enough.

Edited by Gordon R

You have said we have got it wrong. Publish the full facts so that we can be enlightened. Otherwise, it might look as if you were shouting your mouth off without any facts to back it up.

As for winding any neck in - it's a bit rich coming from you.

Priceless. :lol::lol::lol:

I have a question for the legally talented here goes:I bumped into an old friend who was a keen shooter for years until he was sentenced to 5 years imprisonment for a knife assault. Right (please don't judge him as only i know the real reason he did it) could i technically go to a clay shoot and let him use my gun under supervision? (Sec21 firearms act say not to possess doesn't say must not to use) He's rehabilitated and has Totally turned his life around. Don't know the law on this so before i ask him i need to know what i intend to do is 100% legal.

Phone your FAO if you want to help him.

Nobody knows all the facts of the offence on here other than me and by the way he did not say he didn't do it or ask for any kind of leniency in court, he held his hand up high and admitted total guilt for his actions (like a real man should).I only gave a brief description because i knew there would be certain members wanting to know the offence and what happened. The original question was can he legally shoot clays under my supervision and who what when how and why doesn't come into it simples!