Push bikes and insurance

countryman

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious? How would the police know which cycles were insured and which weren't? Anyway not all cyclists are road users - what about mountain bikers? Where would you draw the line with this insurance - skateboards, rollerblades, pedestrians when walking on roads needing insurance too?

Do you really want another layer of bureaucracy and greater police powers in this county? I'm a car driver and a cyclist, but I know that when I'm driving a car the potential to cause damage, death and injury is much greater than when I'm cycling. This is a fact.

Are you serious? How would the police know which cycles were insured and which weren't? Anyway not all cyclists are road users - what about mountain bikers? Where would you draw the line with this insurance - skateboards, rollerblades, pedestrians when walking on roads needing insurance too?

Do you really want another layer of bureaucracy and greater police powers in this county? I'm a car driver and a cyclist, but I know that when I'm driving a car the potential to cause damage, death and injury is much greater than when I'm cycling. This is a fact.

sorry, but imo if you ride anything on a public road (bike, scooter, blades, whatever) you

1. have the capacity to cause damage and or death, even if it it isnt as great as being in a car, and

2. should have some kind of insurance.

anything less than that is irresponsible. end of story.

just my opinion though...

sorry, but imo if you ride anything on a public road (bike, scooter, blades, whatever) you

1. have the capacity to cause damage and or death, even if it it isnt as great as being in a car, and

And in your opinion children are also compelled to pay insurance before cycling on the roads, or are they exempt?

Just what we all need, make cycling less appealing so that there are even more cars on the road.

when I see a 40 ton bike being ridden at 60mph by a half a sleep rider and ploughing into the back of stationary vehicles,or 6 drivers killed in week by a cyclist's back wheel going over them, I will advocate compulsory insurance :yes:

KW

Edited by kdubya

So if a person on a push bike causes an accident how does that work with your insurance, had a near miss when one came straight out in front of me from a side road, i skidded and nearly side swiped a parked car.

Chris

Very same thing happened to Me today on Salters Road! Bus pulled into the bus stop, I went to overtake and a hair brained lycra clad road racer came barreling out of a side road, straight into my path! I had to swerve to avoid him! Then he went even wider again. I mean come on! He is supposed to give way but just careers out anyway? No bloody wonder so many of them end up on a morgue table. I am Car, Bus, Motorcycle and cycle rider! But that was just plain lunacy!

I just bit my tounge, got past him and let it go.

But in contrast, I had a young clem in a Focus cut me up on Farmfoods roundabout too. Pulled straight into my path from the give way :no: Then when I looked at him in disbelief, I got the whole verbal and nothing but the verbal! It seems give way, means nothing to people of today! Even happens at work when I get numpties walking into the path of the forklift :no: Some people just don't give a ****.

You are joking right? **** is filtered? Not exactly a profanity is it?

I think any responsible cyclist who regularly commutes should choose to have insurance.

I parked my range rover outside my local, came out a few hours later to find 2 big scratches down the side of it. Got the land lord to check the CCTV thinking I was going to see some ****** keying it but no. What I did see was some helmet on a racing bike fly over a speed bump, loose control and bounce of my car.

After getting up and stumble about, he looked around to make sure no one saw and rode off ( I hope it really hurt him). Now if this guy had insurance I'm sure he would have been more inclined to come in and hold his hands up and do the right thing.

Out for a 15 mile spin with a mate last night. Whilst on the way back to his house, some hair brained fleece clad biddy Focus driver pulled right across the road in front of me turning right onto her drive, no indicators, no lights on, nothing! A it was pouring with rain. A yank on the breaks and a swerve to miss her.

At least you have shown both sides of the coin though LG. There's ******* everywhere.

Very same thing happened to Me today on Salters Road! Bus pulled into the bus stop, I went to overtake and a hair brained lycra clad road racer came barreling out of a side road, straight into my path! I had to swerve to avoid him! Then he went even wider again. I mean come on! He is supposed to give way but just careers out anyway? No bloody wonder so many of them end up on a morgue table. I am Car, Bus, Motorcycle and cycle rider! But that was just plain lunacy!

I just bit my tounge, got past him and let it go.

But in contrast, I had a young clem in a Focus cut me up on Farmfoods roundabout too. Pulled straight into my path from the give way :no: Then when I looked at him in disbelief, I got the whole verbal and nothing but the verbal! It seems give way, means nothing to people of today! Even happens at work when I get numpties walking into the path of the forklift :no: Some people just don't give a ****.
You are joking right? **** is filtered? Not exactly a profanity is it?

Sore point with me at the moment.

Some numb nuts (mid 50's) on a bike tried to commit suicide in front of my car back in May, then had the cheek to blame me, call an ambulance and police and has now put a claim in for injuries to my insurance company.

The obvious presumption by all attending third parties at the time was I ran him down.

Fortunately there were 5 people in my car at the time, and 4 saw exactly what happened. Even then the police said they would all be biased and in court it would be my word against his. (no independent witnesses)

What utter ********, the ambulance spat him out after 10-15 mins and told him to go home.....TOTALLY UNINJURED, even his bike wasn't damaged! Yet I had to do a breath test (ZERO) and make a statement, £300+ to respray part of my bumper which I have had to stump up for and he will not pay.

Now all of a sudden he has bruises/aches/sprains/emotional trauma/etc/etc and has employed an ambulance chasing solicitor he found on the web (some 200miles from where he lives) to make a claim.

The world has gone mad, it was his fault, he damaged my car, but is making a claim on my insurance (I can't claim due to my insurance excess) it will likely effect my NCD and put simply I'm stuffed.

The police have formally interviewed me since and I have received written confirmation that they have "not found any grounds to take action against me". Legal jargon for, I did nothing wrong.

So why am I completely stuffed and he is likely to get perhaps up to a few £K.

Edited by Dekers

No doubt he would have done the same had he slipped on a wet floor. As I wrote in an earlier post, the are anchors everywhere.

Sore point we me at the moment.

Some numb nuts (mid 50's) on a bike tried to commit suicide in front of my car back in May, then had the cheek to blame me, call and ambulance and police and has now put a claim in for injuries to my insurance company.

The obvious presumption by all attending third parties at the time was I ran him down.

Fortunately there were 5 people in my car at the time, and 4 saw exactly what happened. Even then the police said they would all be biased and in court it would be my word against his. (no independent witnesses)

What utter ********, the ambulance spat him out after 10-15 mins and told him to go home.....TOTALLY UNINJURED, even his bike wasn't damaged! Yet I had to do a breath test (ZERO) and make a statement, £300+ to respray part of my bumper which I have had to stump up for and he will not pay.

Now all of a sudden he has bruises/aches/sprains/emotional trauma/etc/etc and has employed an ambulance chasing solicitor he found on the web (some 200miles from where he lives) to make a claim.

The world has gone mad, it was his fault, he damaged my car, but is making a claim on my insurance (I can't claim due to my insurance excess) it will likely effect my NCD and put simply I'm stuffed.

The police have formally interviewed me since and I have received written confirmation that they have "not found any grounds to take action against me". Legal jargon for, I did nothing wrong.

And in your opinion children are also compelled to pay insurance before cycling on the roads, or are they exempt?

Just what we all need, make cycling less appealing so that there are even more cars on the road.

in a word, yes. and in my opinion, there should be a minimum age limit if they are on main roads.

ive personally had to have a new wing on my A3 because of some liitle oik crashing into it while messing around on his bmx outside the front of my parents house.

parents couldnt give a damn... so, who was left with the £300 bill?

and im sorry, but if being responsible and having £30 worth of insurance makes cycling less appealing, then i suggest that those who wish to cycle without insurance should take a long hard look at themselves.

but to expand on your final comment, its funny how having car insurance doesnt seem to make owning and driving a car less appealing... infact, i dont know anyone who would drive without it!

Edited by brett1985

I've checked out my insurance position as a cyclist and especially so now that my family & I all go out on rides. Although the kids have had level 2 cycle training, there's still plenty to learn and we can all make mistakes.

We have personal liability cover of £2m under our home contents insurance which covers for this sort of thing.

So if one of us does happen to be accused of doing something silly & causing damage, we're covered. I am cycling over 3,000 miles a year now and felt the need to make sure I had some cover.

I don't think it should be compulsory though. Look at the potential damage a car can cause compared to a bike, it doesn't stand comparison at all.

Sore point with me at the moment.

Some numb nuts (mid 50's) on a bike tried to commit suicide in front of my car back in May, then had the cheek to blame me, call and ambulance and police and has now put a claim in for injuries to my insurance company.

Don't take this lying down from your insurers.. you may have to do some of their work for them, and present it to them on a plate.

I'd expect your witnesses to provide statements to your insurers and your insurers to use them.

You are, however, caught in the difference between the civil and criminal standards of proof - "more likely than not" compared to "beyond reasonable doubt".

I would expect your witnesses outnumber the cyclist's ? You could counterclaim for the damage to your car.. might make his lot think twice/go away ?

I've checked out my insurance position as a cyclist and especially so now that my family & I all go out on rides. Although the kids have had level 2 cycle training, there's still plenty to learn and we can all make mistakes.

We have personal liability cover of £2m under our home contents insurance which covers for this sort of thing.

So if one of us does happen to be accused of doing something silly & causing damage, we're covered. I am cycling over 3,000 miles a year now and felt the need to make sure I had some cover.

I don't think it should be compulsory though. Look at the potential damage a car can cause compared to a bike, it doesn't stand comparison at all.

glad to see someone with their head screwed on. :good:

when looking at potential damage though, take into account the cost of the insurance. a car can most definately cause more damage, no denying that from my side of the fence. but car insurance also costs substantially more, making it relative to the possible amount of damage that can be caused.

for you, it hasnt actually cost anything and covers you all through your home insurance.