What laptop

ollie

I am about to buy a new laptop & have about £300 quid to spend in it, what should I buy?

It will be used for editing videos taken while shooting and obviously internet.

Also where would you recommend I buy it; in store or online?

I bought a Tosiba Satellite C850 around this time last year. Cost around £350, I think. Don't know very much about computers, but it's easy to use and does everything I need it do. One thing that did set it out from some of the others was the keyboard layout, it has number keys over on the right hand side of the keyboard, just like on a calculator, so if you have to input a lot of figures, it make it much easier. Bought it locally, so that any problems could be easily sorted out, but so far haven't had any.

+2 for Apple, well worth the extra money. Dells quality seems to have slipped over the years - used to buy them all the time for work in the 90s but wouldnt now. If you really cant afford the Apple then Toshiba or Samsung would be my choice. John Lewis online usually have some good deals and you get an extra years warranty free. Otherwise try Dabs or Laptops Direct.

I have always been pleased with HP laptops. One still running on Windoze 98 is about 13 years old (kept for its "antique" software), current one is 3 years old and good on Windoze 7.

I don't like the look of Windoze 8 but that may just be me, I notice that Widoze 7 is still offered by many retailers.

From a lot of experience in the PC/Laptop field the most important thing is the processor (CPU) I just had to tell a poor man who got a free Toshiba laptop with his 2yr phone contract (Carphone Warehouse) that it wasn't fit to do anything except sit there, AMD Essentials E1 cpu, 2gb of memory (only 1.4 free) and just sitting running Windows 8.1 it was using 100% of the available cpu and memory! it was so slow it was unbelievable.

If you're going the Windows route get a HP, Lenovo or Asus, Acer are made to a price and Dell are either good (business class stuff) or again made down to a price. Look for at least an Intel I3 cpu or if you can afford it an I5, don't be swayed by a huge hard drive it doesn't help speed the laptop up if your cpu is poor. Look for at least 4Gb of memory, any less and Windows 8.1 will not be happy.

Windows 8 isn't great but 8.1, which is what you should be getting, is a lot better, if you want the old style interface, Start button etc. there's a good free program here, Start Menu 8 http://download.cnet.com/Start-Menu-8/3001-2072_4-75852660.html?hasJs=n&hlndr=1

Also, if it comes with McAfee get rid of it!, download and install AVG (free edition) and MalwareBytes from here, http://download.cnet.com/windows/most-popular/3101-20_4-0.html

Edited by phaedra1106

At that price point regardless of the brand that it says on the outside you will very likely be buying an ASUS or Acer as they manufacture for all the major brands.

Best bet is to opt for a decent processor with as much RAM and as fast a hard disk drive as you can get, but it really is much of a muchness.

Personally I would opt for whoever gives the best customer service. From my experience of dealing with most of these outfits in a business capacity I would say go for Acer. Their UK after sales team, although very small, are very much quality focussed.

If you can buy from a retailer such as John Lewis then you get the best of both worlds.

Dell or Acer and if you can get it through your company go online, usually next day delivery and decent savings. Mrs S has had 2 Acers so far she's not boogered the second but give her time.

Edit = get as much RAM as the machine will take (or retro fit if its cheaper). Forgot to say what they look like is matterless as the stuff inside comes from China, Taiwan or the Philippines for all brands.

Edited by Sha Bu Le

From a lot of experience in the PC/Laptop field the most important thing is the processor (CPU) I just had to tell a poor man who got a free Toshiba laptop with his 2yr phone contract (Carphone Warehouse) that it wasn't fit to do anything except sit there, AMD Essentials E1 cpu, 2gb of memory (only 1.4 free) and just sitting running Windows 8.1 it was using 100% of the available cpu and memory! it was so slow it was unbelievable.

If you're going the Windows route get a HP, Lenovo or Asus, Acer are made to a price and Dell are either good (business class stuff) or again made down to a price. Look for at least an Intel I3 cpu or if you can afford it an I5, don't be swayed by a huge hard drive it doesn't help speed the laptop up if your cpu is poor. Look for at least 4Gb of memory, any less and Windows 8.1 will not be happy.

Windows 8 isn't great but 8.1, which is what you should be getting, is a lot better, if you want the old style interface, Start button etc. there's a good free program here, Start Menu 8 http://download.cnet.com/Start-Menu-8/3001-2072_4-75852660.html?hasJs=n&hlndr=1

Also, if it comes with McAfee get rid of it!, download and install AVG (free edition) and MalwareBytes from here, http://download.cnet.com/windows/most-popular/3101-20_4-0.html

Is there a tool to get rid of macafee or do you just use windows uninstaller? My laptop came with it but it's now expired so I'm going to my daughter to download Avg for me onto a USB drive f this will be possible,then Install from that so I don't have to surf unprotected to get new software.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

I've got an Acer laptop. Wasn't pricey (£350 odd two or three years ago?), is high spec and has been faultless (touch wood) apart from some problems getting the built in subwoofer to work after upgrading to Win 7. I bought it online (ebuyer iirc) and would do so again - but I can fix most PC problems myself.

My dad recently got a Mac laptop - paid a lot for it, and doesn't like it as it just won't do certain things. (Syncing with his gmail account, reading RAW files from his camera etc.) I wouldn't touch Apple gear myself as you're paying over the odds for the name and the "style". (I will grant you that the Mac laptop my dad has is a handsome thing).

Thanks for the info lads.

Thanks for the post mate, it was really helpful. What do you think about this one:

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Hewlett_Packard_i3-3110M_Core_i3-3110M_Windows_8.1_64_Bit_4GB_DDR3_RAM_500G_F0Y89EA/version.asp

I've got a Lenovo. I know they're cheap but the important thing was I bought it from a local independent computer shop. There's no point me buying on line because I wouldn't know how to set it up. The big chains didn't have quite what I wanted and they were very inflexible, not at all helpful - they clearly think a computer dunce like me isn't worthy of their time - and they sting you good and proper for software. I got mine set up with Windows 8 with just the programmes I want and all the information I wanted to keep from my old laptop transferred. The system set up ready to go and tailored to my needs and limited IT abilities for £375. I probably could have got a better system for the money somewhere else but for someone like me whose computer skills are very limited the individual attention and customer service of an small friendly independent is well worth a few extra quid.

I admit I preferred XP. Windows 8 isn't perfect and my laptop isn't touch screen but I don't really have any problems and if I can manage anyone can.

I have tried editing on a few budget computers and they really do struggle to the point that I gave up. You have to spend more on a laptop for the task of editing im afraid!

Ed

Really? I would be editing the footage from my head cam. What are you using for editing now?

Do you really need a laptop? If you don't need one, I'd buy a desktop machine. You will get a lot more spec for your money as part of the cost of laptops is making everything small and portable. We video edit at work, and use over £5,000 worth of (desktop) equipment at one station in order to get a decent throughput. Video processing is very computer resource intensive. (Though I imagine you wouldn't need to do the same volume!)

Do you really need a laptop? If you don't need one, I'd buy a desktop machine. You will get a lot more spec for your money as part of the cost of laptops is making everything small and portable. We video edit at work, and use over £5,000 worth of (desktop) equipment at one station in order to get a decent throughput. Video processing is very computer resource intensive. (Though I imagine you wouldn't need to do the same volume!)

I ndo like the fact that a laptop is portable. Sometimes the missus likes to watch catch-up tv in bed while I watch sport.

Thanks for the info lads.

Thanks for the post mate, it was really helpful. What do you think about this one:

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Hewlett_Packard_i3-3110M_Core_i3-3110M_Windows_8.1_64_Bit_4GB_DDR3_RAM_500G_F0Y89EA/version.asp

It's a nice little laptop, decent cpu etc. :)

Same price from Ebuyer but with free delivery :)http://www.ebuyer.com/613470-hp-250-g2-laptop-f0y89ea-abu

Figgy, go to the link I provided and look for C Cleaner, it's a free download and has a removal tool for your unwanted programs (or you can use Windows own uninstaller).