Goodbye to my little mate

kdubya

I lost my gorgeous little springer Poppy just 3 weeks ago, she was almost 13 and although I knew it was coming I blubbed like a baby, the only comfort you can take is that you didn't let your pal suffer. I have her son who's 10 & is slowing down and a 2 year old who reminds me every day of how fast Poppy used to be. Pops was cremated and is now under the tree outside my window. Remember the good times.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off topic but connected, this thread sums up to me what PW is all about.

We can argue like cats and dogs over politics, religion, the poll tax and anything else you can think of but at times like this when you need an ear to bend or just some moral support, everyone is there for you.

It's normal to cry over a pet. Think about it - they're with you pretty much all the time for many years and you get attached to them in a similar way you do to family.

Our 13-14 year old springer had to be put down on Saturday and even though we knew it was going to happen around this time, it's still hard to deal with. Especially the nostalgia part, considering I was about 5 or 6 when we got her (and I still remember the drive to pick her up) and she had to be put down just a few days after I moved away to go to university - so much has happened in between. I knew before I left it would be the last time I saw her and I have a few photos on my phone of that day.

They don't call them man's best friend for nothing.

kirk can you imagine me at the counter in a surgery full to the brim , everyone looking and me with my bottom lip trembling like a big daft lass,

Coming out in bits and then having to stand at the counter in tears isn't a good look but thankfully there was only me and the receptionist.

Been, there, done that.

My wife worked for a while as a vet's receptionist. That practice had a policy of not asking for money on the day. They sent a commiseration card with the bill enclosed a couple of days later, much more respectful. And, yes, they always got paid.

Been, there, done that.

My wife worked for a while as a vet's receptionist. That practice had a policy of not asking for money on the day. They sent a commiseration card with the bill enclosed a couple of days later, much more respectful. And, yes, they always got paid.

What a cracking idea

:shaun:

Still keep looking for the little begger, feel so so guilty for taking him, decided no more dogs that's it, had many over the years but this one really thought he was a kid,when he was young as was my daughter she would dress him in baby clothes and put him in a pram and wheel him about and he never batted an eyelid :blush: just sort of resigned himself,as a little annoying footnote as I left the vets yesterday eve I had to settle up there and then I paid up £247 without taking to much care about the detail on the bill it was the last thing on my mind, however my wife checked it this morning and said they had charged me for the cremation twice, so she went down today and got a refund of £44 now it could have been a genuine mistake but it made me wonder if they tried to take the pee a little knowing I was in no state whatsoever to check :hmm:

KW

Edited by kdubya

Was it the vets near the Brewery?

KW another dog at your age probably wouldn't be fair on the dog,as the dog would probably have to do the same last act of kindness to you.

If your wife is anything like mine, dogs are not just dogs but surrogate children who are higher in pecking order than me :yes: or so she would have me believe.

Figgy

Was it the vets near the Brewery?

KW another dog at your age probably wouldn't be fair on the dog,as the dog would probably have to do the same last act of kindness to you.

If your wife is anything like mine, dogs are not just dogs but surrogate children who are higher in pecking order than me :yes: or so she would have me believe.

Figgy

no the new one near gregs oh and I will see you out and still be working!!

KW

Edited by kdubya

Sorry to hear about your little dog. At 17 years and 3 months, he had a good life.

R.I.P. Sooty.

I hope this poem helps.

If it should be that I grow frail and weak,

And pain should keep me from my sleep,

Then will you do what must be done,

For this, the last battle, can't be won.

You will be sad I understand,

But don't let grief then stay your hand,

For on this day, more than the rest,

Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,

You wouldn't want me to suffer so.

When the time comes, please, let me go.

Take me to where my needs they'll tend,

Only, stay with me till the end

And hold me firm and speak to me,

Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree,

It is a kindness you do to me.

Although my tail its last has waved,

From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you,

Who has to decide this thing to do;

We've been so close, we two, these years,

Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Brought a tear to my eyes, lovely poem. Still miss my Bulldog after over 4 years.

kw my thoughts are with you

real men cry

i lost my lab kim after 17 years and and the worst thing i have done in my life was to put her to sleep but i was holding her when she went and it was quick i to cried like a baby

i swore i would never have another dog although i wanted one like mad but felt disloyal

five years later i have got another abbie a mad bouncing black lab that drives me bonkers sometimes

think about the good times you had and do yourself a favour get another one quick they do not take your dogs place its another chapter in our lives

rob

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one mate. Ps where did you rob that High gun winners glass from?

What are you toasting him with?

Nice leather top kneehole desk there, I'll be looking for same next year for my study, oak and leather.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

Nice one mate. Ps where did you rob that High gun winners glass from?

What are you toasting him with?

Nice leather top kneehole desk there, I'll be looking for same next year for my study, oak and leather.

Figgy

a bottle of cheap jura not to shabby but not great either.

KW

I like Jura nowt wrong with it,nice drop.Grouse now that's cheap.

Going to try the Singleton Tail Fire next time I'm in Tesco. The normal Singleton is very nice and moreish.

Did you get High Gun this year or did Toney give you it?

Figgy

I like Jura nowt wrong with it,nice drop.Grouse now that's cheap.

Going to try the Singleton Tail Fire next time I'm in Tesco. The normal Singleton is very nice and moreish.

Did you get High Gun this year or did Toney give you it?

Figgy

that was last years the only high gun I got this year was at foxhall

KW