Wildfowling books

George1

I love Thornicrofts " Fowlers Moon" , the shooting it describes is so similar to my own and some of it takes place on marshes I used to shoot. Alan Savoury has writen a couple of good wldfowling books , Norfolk Fowler and Lazy Rivers and there are some good yarns inPattern of Wings , by Jonothan young.

'BB' (Denys Watkins-Pitchford) books......Dark Estuary and Tides Ending........both take you back to Wildfowling in a time long gone..........Manka the Sky Gypsy.........a great read for anyone who calls themselves a Wildfowler!!....highly recommended!

P1

I love a bit o BB, Countrymans bedside book is also worth a read

I like the books of the past rather than the modern day books , wildfowling days which have now gone for ever.

Kenzie The Wild Goose Man...........Colin Willock

Norfolk Fowler ................................ Alan Savoury

Wildfowlers and Poachers............... A Patterson

Broad land Sport ............................ J Wentworth Day.

This one.

http://www.gunmart.net/guns_for_sale/print/2815.html

Wildfowling - Christopher Dalgety.

Wildfowler's Bedside Book - Colin Willock.

Tales of a Wildfowler - Arthur Cadnam.

Duck Shooting - van Campen-Heilner.

The WAGBI/BASC series of 'Wildfolwer in the 60's, 70's and 80's - How to/law/technical??

A Pattern of Wings by J Young, puts you in the spot. Brilliant book

Edited by Penelope

You cant learn wildfowling from a book, its a state of mind and the ability to act on what you see. However Morning flight and Dawn chorus by Peter Scott also of BB,s books on wildfowling, Arthur Cadman goose shooting (are all classics IMO) and perhaps BASC handbook on wildfowling. I have quite a lot more than a few but I cannot actually say you can learn a massive amount from them to start off with at least, the points some make are subtle and best read during your first and second, third fourth seasons out alone

Don't learn from just one mentor is the only advice I will give beyond get out there and do it, many don't last long when the wind, rain and winter cold bites along with the early rises and late returns and inevitable blanks, that said there is something that sticks in some of us. The books never describe the blanks and the boredom that comes as part of the package

Just in the door , missed a Teal Fluffed the mount.

Saw An Osprey diving on Mullet , only the second time I have seen one , so not a bad outing .

Books , Books and More books . Just moved house , box after box of books , I never want to buy a book again .

With that in mind I have been searching the web for a source of free downloads .

Col Hawkers , RPGS , French , American wildfowling books all out there to be downloaded.

Here is a flavour of what I have found ,

just some of what is out there .

For me BB always captured the mood and for a throw back , RALPH PAYNE GALWAYS a FOWLER IN IRELAND is a book to let you see what once was and what might have been , if only we had been born at another Time ,

post-70158-0-87778900-1412611293_thumb.jpg

post-70158-0-54614500-1412611855_thumb.jpg

post-70158-0-29385800-1412612035_thumb.jpg

Agree about "Hunter's Fen" (ANYTHING about shooting by John Humphreys is entertaining and informative). Surprised nobody's mentioned anything by Eric Begbie, like "Modern Wildfowling" or "Fowler in the Wild". Also recommend "Duck Shooting" by Colin Willock.

I agree, except his ideas on pigeon shooting.

Goose Fever and Goose Fever: The diaries of a Amateur Wildfowler by Douglas McDougall is also a good read. I had the pleasure of meeting him many years ago at Holkham. I bought the latter of his books from the stand he was on and signed it for me. We had a good chat about wildfowling and as we parted he said 'Keep your powder dry' a saying I quite often use myself now.

George1, On ebay you should be able to find copies of the BASC Handbook "Wildfowling" which I helped produce some years ago, it gives all the basic information that someone new to wildfowling needs to know to get started.

And as George1 is hoping to join the Dee Wildfowlers, there is a super little book produced by the club back in the 80s called "Dee Wildfowler - The Last Professional" which is about a man called Harold Gill who, thanks to family wealth, was able to dedicate his life to wildfowling, and in particular punt-gunning, in the first half of the 20th century. The book does turn up on ebay every now and then and Coch-y-Bondu may have a copy or two. If you remind me before you come to the committee night in November, I think I might have a copy or two somewhere around the house.

John