Police starting unannounced visits today to legal firearms owners

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes.....I have, got visited at around 10pm one evening a few years back.

Also....here is a different view of the proposals from a non shooting perspective.......

The link in that post suggests that I might be right about creeping corporation because ACPO is a company limited by guarantee, and coupled with Crimestoppers, I think we should all be extremely worried because this government, and the last, are hell-bent on privatising everything. Once we're slaves of the corporations then we're sunk.

Why would you wanna record the conversation??

Just so I have a record of what was said and so I have evidence if anything is said that does not fall within the guidelines

Why would you wanna record the conversation??

Just so I have a record of what was said and so I have evidence if anything is said that does not fall within the guidelines

Where can these guidelines be found. I had not realised there was a script for such visits.

They are just checking your security is ok and you are ok, I don't understand why go that far as to record them? What do you think they will say to you? Edited by Rst1990

I am talking about the civvy use of army ranges.

The goalposts seem to be moved at every opportunity. We now cannot use the 200mil rule.

Booking arrangements are changed so that clubs can be charged more. Clubs forced to employ extra range wardens at double time.

Civvy's not allowed to use electronic targetry.

My favourites- despite what the Squaddy's splash around,we are not allowed expanding ammo,what next,no homeloads?

Another one- can't use HMR, ***.

In case you aren't on the mailing list, here is BASC's response:

Police firearms security initiative

From Wednesday 15 October police forces in England and Wales will be taking part in an initiative to ensure firearms are being kept and stored securely. New Home Office guidance allows the police to make unannounced visits to check on the security arrangements of certificate holders under certain circumstances. The police do not have any new powers of entry.

The new Home Office guidance states that:

“Where it is judged necessary, based on specific intelligence in light of a particular threat, or risk of harm, the police may undertake an unannounced home visit to check the security of a certificate holder’s firearms and shotguns. It is not expected that the police will undertake an unannounced home visit at an unsocial hour unless there is a justified and specific requirement to do so on the grounds of crime prevention or public safety concerns and the police judge that this action is both justified and proportionate.

"It is recognised that there is no new power of entry for police or police staff when conducting home visits. To mitigate any misunderstanding on the part of the certificate holder the police must provide a clear and reasoned explanation to the certificate holder at the time of the visit.”

BASC is advising members to ensure their security arrangements are up to standard. The police are required to provide a clear and reasoned explanation to the certificate holder at the time of the visit. BASC members should be left in no doubt as to why the visit is being made. The police do not have an automatic statutory right of entry but BASC recommends a sensible and cooperative approach to this type of situation.

It is possible that the reason for visiting may not be specifically about the certificate holder but may relate to other factors such as local rural or urban crime. There is an expectation of elementary cooperation from certificate holders following a reasonable request to check the security of your firearms.

If BASC members feel that any visit has not been undertaken properly they should first draw this to the attention of the local force; clearly stating the reasons why they believe this to be the case. BASC, on behalf of its members, will challenge robustly any police force which does not follow the Home Office guidelines.

A crime-stoppers line will also be launched for anyone with concerns about firearms security or about sudden changes in behaviour of certificate holders. However, BASC does not believe this is necessary or appropriate. BASC will be monitoring this closely.

BASC chief executive Richard Ali said: “BASC supports the police in their efforts to help firearms certificate holders maintain the excellent record of safety and security in England and Wales. Where there is specific intelligence of threat, risk or harm then the police should act. This guidance provides that framework and ensures that the police provide a clear and reasoned explanation to the certificate holder at the time of the visit.”

For BASC’s guidance on firearms security, click here: http://basc.org.uk/firearms/firearm-shotgun-security-what-do-you-do/

A crime-stoppers line will also be launched for anyone with concerns about firearms security or about sudden changes in behaviour of certificate holders. However, BASC does not believe this is necessary or appropriate. BASC will be monitoring this closely

Bit disappointed they will do nothing but monitor it closely,they should be protesting in the loudest terms,they are supposed to be "the voice of shooting"but lately seem to have become mute.

"There is an expectation of elementary cooperation from certificate holders following a reasonable request to check the security of your firearms. " Interesting" wording, as with R Ali's statement, looks a bit rushed.

One wonders who has the expectation - by the use of the word 'your' later, it seems it may be BASC - if so, a little presumptuous one feels.

However, this only refers to BASC members as it says in the text.

One has to remember also, perhaps, that not alienating the police is seen as wiser than possibly alienating members ?

I have to say the other groups representing shooters seem to have gauged the situation better. I could however be biased as some seem to think.

so nothing changes for the rest of your life then.if things always stayed the same there would be no revoking of certificates ever.sadly this is not the case.

Do we have regular check ups on our driving abilities? Do bear in mind that motor vehicles are responsible for more deaths & injuries in the UK than any other method.

Firearms & shotgun certificates are for 5 years so we should be unmolested for that term.

I think the basic issue here is that the fact that though the guidance has changed, the law hasn't. The police have always had this power and to be fair, most people would not have had a problem with this if there was probable cause and you were informed about what this probable cause was. The issue here is that having changed the guidance and having mentioned 'terrorism' as one of the reasons, suddenly puts shooting sports and firearm owners into automatic suspicion with the public at large.

Photography is one of my other hobbies, and before 9/11, you could happily go about taking photos anywhere you wanted and nobody batted an eyelid. Some time after 9/11, 'guidance' was given to the public to report anything 'suspicious' - including people taking photos! All of a sudden photographers were some kind of subversives, not to be trusted - anyone out with a camera had curtain-twitchers call the police (including on yours truly).

As has been said - many people keep their shooting very private for both personal and security reasons. Having police show up will only raise more questions. My FEO is a civilian (I think), and came in civvies and an unmarked white van for my SGC interview. None of my neighbours know about my guns, and I prefer to keep it that way.

I personally have no problem with the police ensuring that firearms are secure if they suspect they are not - but what worries me here is being tarred with the wrong brush and with the police attempting to appear to be doing something by making this announcement, are in fact scoring an own-goal by sowing distrust.

Do we have regular check ups on our driving abilities? Do bear in mind that motor vehicles are responsible for more deaths & injuries in the UK than any other method.

Firearms & shotgun certificates are for 5 years so we should be unmolested for that term.

It is not far off before they will come up with some kind of refresher for driving.already part way there with medicals for hgv/PSv. Also when you first were granted your sgc-fac you would have jumped through as many hoops as the officer asked.yet now you are a law unto yourself.you were fully aware you could be monitored and checked at any time so stop whining just behave in a correct manner follow the rules and you have nothing to fear.to many on here keep banging on about the police are against us they are coming for our guns.paranoia is a reason to be refused a firearm you know. ***

I think the basic issue here is that the fact that though the guidance has changed, the law hasn't. The police have always had this power and to be fair, most people would not have had a problem with this if there was probable cause and you were informed about what this probable cause was. The issue here is that having changed the guidance and having mentioned 'terrorism' as one of the reasons, suddenly puts shooting sports and firearm owners into automatic suspicion with the public at large.

Photography is one of my other hobbies, and before 9/11, you could happily go about taking photos anywhere you wanted and nobody batted an eyelid. Some time after 9/11, 'guidance' was given to the public to report anything 'suspicious' - including people taking photos! All of a sudden photographers were some kind of subversives, not to be trusted - anyone out with a camera had curtain-twitchers call the police (including on yours truly).

As has been said - many people keep their shooting very private for both personal and security reasons. Having police show up will only raise more questions. My FEO is a civilian (I think), and came in civvies and an unmarked white van for my SGC interview. None of my neighbours know about my guns, and I prefer to keep it that way.

I personally have no problem with the police ensuring that firearms are secure if they suspect they are not - but what worries me here is being tarred with the wrong brush and with the police attempting to appear to be doing something by making this announcement, are in fact scoring an own-goal by sowing distrust.

:yes::yes:

Its just another step in the grinding onslaught against shooters. <_<

I live in a quiet and nice area so a visit from the police would not be much of an issue. However there are plenty of certificate holders who aren't that lucky and having uniformed police or marked cars turn up WILL cause them problems :/

Edited by Breastman

It is not far off before they will come up with some kind of refresher for driving.already part way there with medicals for hgv/PSv. Also when you first were granted your sgc-fac you would have jumped through as many hoops as the officer asked.yet now you are a law unto yourself.you were fully aware you could be monitored and checked at any time so stop whining just behave in a correct manner follow the rules and you have nothing to fear.to many on here keep banging on about the police are against us they are coming for our guns.paranoia is a reason to be refused a firearm you know. ***

Just because you roll over like a submissive dog dont mean we all have to.