Things that annoy you on a driven day

fuzzypigeon

Blue plastic barrel feeders everywhere, pet hate of mine, just an eyesore when I am a sure with a bit more effort alternatives to the blue plastic barrel could be found that blend into the landscape. When you are on a shoot as a gun you should not be aware of any of the shoot paraphernalia.

After that beaters who crack flags relentlessly, again no need for it and a little later in the season a good way to empty a drive before it even starts.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't tend to get annoyed much at all on shoot days. If there are anything at all then it is ...

me, if I miss an easy shot or the first shot

Safety issues

Etiquette infringements

Unruly dogs

Too many loud business phone calls

Anyone a bit too keen on the booze especially if linked to safety

Pickers that Hoover up birds when they fall....espesially when i have a dog with me..........and guns that get stuck in and shoot everything in sight....low...high...far...near....then you hear them on the phone bragging to their mate that they shot half the bag....because everybody else was leaving birds................the list goes on

From a beater's perspective, I don't like it when the guns don't appear to be enjoying themselves! All this standing quietly with a face like a slapped **** during and after a drive makes me wonder why we do it. A bit of banter on the shooting line always makes it seem like they're having fun at least.

I think that joining a shooting line late is a safety issue all the other guns are in a position. Although not in law is shows good safe awarness by the shoot to make a stand on late arivials.

If the guns are told someone will join the drive late, not to shoot low behind (which they shouldn't anyway) and remain aware (which they should) then the risk in negligible. I agree with making a stand on por timekeeping, but instead of saying 'HSE issue', just be homest - it is the price you pay for being late! If included in the shoot rules, then no one can complain. As I said, just don't blame HSE :-)

Im glad the beaters make noise when i am shooting.

I have been on loads of shoots, every beater ive met and i'm talking 100s make noise.

Im pretty sure the reason is to create more of a presence and scare the birds up .

As I said, there's know need for it, a crack of the flag when in cover crops, or tapping on trees when in woods is plenty enough IMO.

Noisy beaters just scare all the birds to the end of the cover and they flush in a big heap.

Edited by MattSoanes

Having never been a gun on a formal shoot but only in a small syndicate which is very informal, what would be etiquette infringements and what in general is shooting etiquette ??

From the guns perspective that which is considered by some as improper dress, improper guns, shooting anothers birds, talking on mobile phones during, on and between drives and generally anything that particular shoot considers bad form. It can be pretty elitist at times to be honest.

Oh, amongst things I find annoying I forgot this one; not picking up empties.

Noisy beaters who shout rather than tap

Beaters dogs that work the cover 60 yards ahead of the line and then pich shot birds before dropping them and going back through the cover

Pickets up who are too close and just want to pick your dead birds when you have a dog

Would you listen to you lot,

Pickers up, picking up imagine that,

Beaters making noise!! The cheek!

I beat on a few shoots and some keepers want plenty of vocals others not so much, what do you do?

Say no mate, the guns probably know best I'm keeping quiet.

And guns who want birds leaving for their dogs......

What happens when a team of guns turn up without a decent dog amongst them? How do they know ?

Should the pickers up hang back, leave the runners until they have assessed the guns dogs abilities ?

Edited by Daveo26

Not at all guns with their own dogs are entitled to work their dogs, if a bird is a runner it should be picked straight away but if the birds are dead then the gun has as much right to work his dog on the birds he shot than the picking up team, maybe not all of them but enough for him to be happy, don't forget that everybody involved in a shoot day needs each other!

Do any of you lads and lasses know what that strange noise beaters make is all about?

I am not sure how to describe it.

The one that sounds like someone kickstarting a gay motorbike?

That's brilliant I have just woke my little boy who should be asleep laughing.

What I don't like and this is why I haven't been on a driven day since is the stuck up toff next to me giving me **** all day because my uncle was in charge of the shoot and he didn't like it. So when I let rip back at him and put him in his place. He went all do you no who I am and I said if you don't no how the **** am I going to.

It people like that who put me off and really twist my biscuits.

Shooting is supposed to be about respect to all whether you are a beater or shoot owner you all have your role to play and each and everyone needs each other.

Not at all guns with their own dogs are entitled to work their dogs, if a bird is a runner it should be picked straight away but if the birds are dead then the gun has as much right to work his dog on the birds he shot than the picking up team, maybe not all of them but enough for him to be happy, don't forget that everybody involved in a shoot day needs each other!

I agree but without a specific example we could discuss this forever, pickers are there to do a job.

How about guns that have you searching for a bird they never touched?

Nobody else saw it "fold up" but you have to look to be polite, even though your dogs looking at you with that,

Not this **** again!!

no ideas then? someone must know it

A sort of a escalating short warble

Is it the eye eye eye eeeeyyye one?