Things that annoy you on a driven day

fuzzypigeon

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know people who shoot in a way that even if they shot until Xmas couldn't make 100! :)

Actually it is people who are rude to beaters and pickers up that annoy me most. I once heard someone suggest that the qualification for going shooting on a driven day should be two years experience as a beater.

David.

Bad manners and poor muzzle awareness/gun safety. The number of people who have no idea of the correct way to remove a gun from its slip and return it to the same, is amazing.

Our syndicate has a rule that ALL guns must be returned to slips before walking between drives; the only person who regularly flaunts this rule is the bloke who came up with it, our 'keeper. :)

As a keeper the things that get me are guns shooting low birds ie under 20yards blowing them to bits, over cartridged guns you do not need anything over an 30 gram cartridge for Suffolk, lack of respect from dead game, the them and us attitude of guns, gun safety, oh and those team's of guns who think 8.1 ratio is good.

People (guns usually) turning up late. Weve now introduced a rule saying anyone arriving late has to wait till we stop for morning snack.before rejoining the shoot (due to health and safety)

We've had no offenders this season.....so far!

There is no H&S law, statute, inferrence, CoP, guidance or rumour that applies to turning up late! Stop hiding behind HSE - just enforce the rule of lateness as what it is - rude and impolite to be late!!

I dislike guns who cannot shoot well, guns who cannot manage to say 'good morning' to the beating team and anyone who uses a mobile phone in the middle of a drive!

And, of course, people who use HSE to resolve problems that are not HSe problems :-) :-) :-)

Edited by Beretta06

One thing I noticed on a small syndicate I was on is that some guns bring their own dogs and we only have 1 or 2 dogs behind the line, one gun likes to retrieve his birds that are dead with his dog and that is half the pleasure for some, on this particular day, another gun brought his dog, it was running in on every shot bird, it also barked all the way through the drive, the gun never stopped it, this annoyed me as I feel it is extremely rude to the other guns with their dogs, after the final drive the dog even pegged an exhausted bird and he claimed it was pricked. I know that not every dog is perfectly trained and some have their issues, my dog for instance will cry during a drive if he can not go and retrieve and this is why he doesn't come with me on driven days as I feel it would ruin some guns day!

Edited by fuzzypigeon

I know people who shoot in a way that even if they shot until Xmas couldn't make 100! :)

Actually it is people who are rude to beaters and pickers up that annoy me most. I once heard someone suggest that the qualification for going shooting on a driven day should be two years experience as a beater.

David.

This is one I have heard before.

From my experience it stems from chaps who earn good money (allot from the city) who want to jump into the shooting scene without an understanding of gun safety , etiquette and respect.

Seeing as you can buy a gun get insurance and go shooting on any estate you can afford without having to prove your understanding and ability to understand the safety I agree to the principle.

Conversations I have had with guns before consist of " can you actually eat these ducks?" (mallards)

"how do you pluck a bird?........................... If you need to ask these Questions you should be in a mental home and definitely not killing game

Noisy beaters!! All that high high high and farm yard noises, there's know need.

Also, beaters dogs that run out from the wood/cover and start picking up shot birds.

Im glad the beaters make noise when i am shooting.

I have been on loads of shoots, every beater ive met and i'm talking 100s make noise.

Im pretty sure the reason is to create more of a presence and scare the birds up .

Noisy beaters!! All that high high high and farm yard noises, there's know need.

Part of that can be self preservation! I've been a beater on a few shoots where you have to be very wary at the end of a drive. There is always the odd clown oblivious to your presence who didn't get the bit about ”only shoot if you can see blue sky all around" on the shoot Captain's brief.

There is no H&S law, statute, inferrence, CoP, guidance or rumour that applies to turning up late! Stop hiding behind HSE - just enforce the rule of lateness as what it is - rude and impolite to be late!!

I dislike guns who cannot shoot well, guns who cannot manage to say 'good morning' to the beating team and anyone who uses a mobile phone in the middle of a drive!

And, of course, people who use HSE to resolve problems that are not HSe problems :-) :-) :-)

I think that joining a shooting line late is a safety issue all the other guns are in a position. Although not in law is shows good safe awarness by the shoot to make a stand on late arivials.