Things that annoy you on a driven day

fuzzypigeon

never really got annoyed after all its a sport and a day out albeit a tad expensive,but I did witness many a time a shoot captain change the peg order to his favour after the draw , guy was bloody clever as at it.

KW

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beaters Day is worth £400 and they get it for free. That's why most of my guys beat.

I beat on a little DIY shoot, we normally have me and one other beater plus a back/walking gun (8 guns normally).

I just enjoy being out seeing dogs working and good shots being taken.

No beaters day here or any mention of pigeon shooting etc out of the season. But that doesnt bother me much as its not what I go for. I would be suprised if any beater did it for the money over the enjoyment of the day out and a good time.

ATB

Matt

The last beaters day I went on, the chap who runs the shoots mates (who didn't beat) and 2 paying guests got the proper pegs, and the poor old beaters got put on the ends , up hills out the way and round the edges. One bloke didn't have a bird come near him all day! Says it all

That is sad. I suppose that you can never take out the greed factor.

My lot, beaters and syndicate members, draw for a peg number same as on every normal day.

That is sad. I suppose that you can never take out the greed factor.

My lot, beaters and syndicate members, draw for a peg number same as on every normal day.

that's got to be the fairest way. On my local shoot there are no pegs, the chaps in charge decide where people stand. To be honest, it's that kind of attitude that has completely turned me off of game shooting

that's got to be the fairest way. On my local shoot there are no pegs, the chaps in charge decide where people stand. To be honest, it's that kind of attitude that has completely turned me off of game shooting

Placing the guns can help even out the shooting if done fair. If one gun has had a good amount of shooting, they are moved to a less active spot and if you are having a poor day you are put in the "hot seat". If done for their own gain, that is bad form.

Other guns and myself on our shoot, have been known to give our peg up for guns having a poor day.

Guns with all the gear and no idea. Have shot on days in the past and some guns spend thousands on the latest gear but haven't had a lesson in there life. Also guns who throw birds into a pile or even worse walk off and don't even tell picker ups what they have shot.

Finally greedy guns, I have shot with some very good shots over the years but why do some of them insist on shooting every bird that comes near there peg then tell every one at the end of the day how many birds they have killed.

I still shoot some driven days but I enjoy the small DIY shoot I am a member of the most.

This is my first season beating on a local estate and so far have had a great time. Not many things I find anoying yet although watching some of the youngsters on there phone and not taking any interest in what they are doing only waiting for the cash payment at the end of the day.

Some previous posts have mentioned that the noises that the beaters make anoy them.

Usually there is 2 groups of beaters of around 10 - 12 people and sometimes we break up into sections of 4-6 people depending on the area to be pushed through. When on the beating line either the kepper or under keepers tell a particular section of the line what it is they want ie noise, flags (or both) or just sweeping. The amount of noise and flag cracking will depend on how far we are out from the guns. As we get nearer the area of the guns we are told to be quite and only to walk through the scrub in a line 2-5 meters (steps) at a time and told to hold while the birds flush. There are various noises that everyone makes, some its the queer motor bike noise Brrrrrrrieee some its, Hay Up, some its Yi-Yi, Yip -Yip but no one knows what is best.

Its a bit of a no no to mix with the guns on this shoot but so far most of them have acknowlaged the beaters and as yet I have not had any greetings go un returned.

Its good banter on the beater bus and I am looking foward to the beaters day and I have been told it can be great fun stand 1 walk 1 and the two sections competing with a huge amount of p*** taking.

I've loved reading this thread. You moaning whinging auld ***** :lol:

I find an unruly otherwise trained gundog hilarious on a shoot day, as its owner shouts and whistles as the dog looks and thinks no chance I'm enjoying myself too much, all while its owner is getting more embarrassed and irate. Been there myself to others amusement.

Safety ignored and General unsporting behaviour is my pet hate.

Any noisy bad behaved dogs would not be tolerated at all and told to put it in car.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

Two issues:

1. Beaters, picker ups, etc who think the whole day is based around them.

2. Guns who think beaters, etc are serfs.

Both sides can be chippy, which is a shame.

On the limited number of shoots I have seen, the beaters tend to know more about the country and fieldwork generally than the Guns.

However, beaters must learn to speak only when spoken to - but the gamekeeper's there to enforce these rules of etiquette...

One thing that does amuse me somewhat.............is peg number maths

captains of industry.....people with money and responsible for the future of this country....and the nuclear deterrant..............and after the first drive they cant... or have forgotton.... or dont know..... how to add the number ...2....two their drawn number....which is not even a two digit number...............

........god help us !

Very littl annoys me on a driven day, annoyance is a feeling felt the rest of the week and has no place for me on a shoot day. I just crack on and enjoy the day, be it as a gun or in the beating line. If a paticular shoot really does annoy you then simply don't go!

For me I would rather beat than shoot most of the time, regardless of any pay. Some of my best driven days have been on beaters day, good shooting and banter amongst good friends with more emphasis on just enjoying the day.

Safety infringements are my biggest pet hate, from previous shoots ive been on it seems to be the old boys with there side-by-side`s and poor muzzle awearness as well as taking low /close shots.

I find my biggest worry are the 'new to shooting, who can suddenly afford it and have all the gear and absolutely no bloody idea brigade'. I was unfortunate enough to be invited as a Guest on a driven day last season, I spent the morning having to watch my neighbouring guns (BOTH young generation with O/U's) shooting at birds behind me that I had ignored because of their low altitude. If I leave a bird, I have done that for a reason and it is NOT for my neighbours to 'have a go at'. After lunch, one of the offending plonkers swapped over with his friend, for him to 'have a go'. He seemed to believe that every bird that exited from the wood, was his to have a go at, thankfully he was a **** shot with his O/U. It is down to the Shoot Captain to ensure that 'novices' have one of the 'old boys', the ones with poor muzzle awareness, standing with them, otherwise HOW are these people ever going to learn what is acceptable behaviour and what is not ?

Dont normally have any of the issues that others have complained of but one thing has been creeping in over the last couple of years.

Pickers up stationed perhaps 100 yards behind the gun line sending their dogs forward during a drive to collect dead birds shot by a gun that has a dog sitting on his/her peg waiting for a retrieve,

Gun has perhaps shot 2 or 3, turns round at the end of the drive to work his dog only to find they have already been picked. Now in Rape at this time of year that is fine as its up to your knees but on drilled cereals it is not unless the bird runs.

A

I find my biggest worry are the 'new to shooting, who can suddenly afford it and have all the gear and absolutely no bloody idea brigade'. I was unfortunate enough to be invited as a Guest on a driven day last season, I spent the morning having to watch my neighbouring guns (BOTH young generation with O/U's) shooting at birds behind me that I had ignored because of their low altitude. If I leave a bird, I have done that for a reason and it is NOT for my neighbours to 'have a go at'. After lunch, one of the offending plonkers swapped over with his friend, for him to 'have a go'. He seemed to believe that every bird that exited from the wood, was his to have a go at, thankfully he was a **** shot with his O/U. It is down to the Shoot Captain to ensure that 'novices' have one of the 'old boys', the ones with poor muzzle awareness, standing with them, otherwise HOW are these people ever going to learn what is acceptable behaviour and what is not ?

I like to introduce a total novice on my first day each year. I have a hour with them a few days before to go through the day, what will happen, etiquette, what they can and cannot shoot at, safety, insurance etc etc. I then stand with them all day to advise on which birds they can and more importantly cannot shoot. Start them on an easyish one as I don't know how good they are and see how we go from there.

At the end of the day we have all been novices and made mistakes shooting low birds etc, I like my novice to get a good if short grounding in doing the job properly.

I have myself been in lines with novices either side, on one occasion I was a guest, we had several farming brothers who were the hosts who are indifferent shots at best, 5 total novices and two of us who could shoot who were asked to shoot as many as we could to make the bag up. Bloke next to me had a three shot semi, full use, and letting go at head height in front!!. Even as a guest I had to leave my peg and go and have words mid drive as he was endangering two chaps who were stops who also stop for me at home. That was a tin hat day but luckily all ended well.

There

A pet hate of mine is runners not being picked until the drive is over, by which time some can be in the next county...

The argument is that a wounded bird settles where it feels safe. By sending a dog straight away the bird is full of adrenalin and therefore more likely to run and escape. By leaving the bird until the end of the drive the adrenalin has been lost and the bird has began to loose body temperature making it less able to run and therefore easier to pick.

I not saying I disagree with picking wounded birds straight away but some picker ups may chose or are told not too for the understandable reason explained above.