English SBS

Jaymo

So excited tonight

As a Wedding pressie I was allowed to purchase my first English SBS.

Its by Charles Lancaster and have totally fallen for it, cant beleive it dates from around 1883.

Only downside is the barrels have been sleeved, but at least I know I can put most loads through it now.

Now to find a shoot to try it

Sorry, but has to tell someone

post-61953-0-08975400-1418075028_thumb.jpg

Im guessing you bought this from Pantiles guns???????

I handled that gun myself and was very very tempted to buy it myself

In fact he told me the history of the previous owner who was a collector of charles lancaster guns

Dont worry about sleeving if its done properly the gun will be good as new for many more years to come!

Hope you enjoy using it as it should serve you many good years of shooting

It is indeed that very one.....

Couldnt really stretch to a Sidelock and so the boxlocks it was to be.

This one of course has a sort of side plate arrangement to it which I liked, that along with the fact that the stock hadnt been molested or lengthened and its engraving.

Small details in the mechanism and top rib made it stand out to me.

Contemplated the purchase for a week, as have too many toys as it is. But even my non shooting new wife said it looked nice and was a piece of history.

So with her blessing it came home with us tonight

Cool im jealous it is a lovely gun and just oozed quality with wood to metal fit smooth as a babys **** ....

Pantiles are a great shop to buy from and offer 1 years warranty on allguns which is unheard of today so rest assured you will have no trouble

I bought a 20g English sxs boxlock from them a year ago its a little beauty and would not hesitate to buy from them again

Its like Aladins cave in that shop so many different quality english sxs

Do you buy much from Pantiles or is your first visit ?????

quote name="Jaymo" post="2697325" timestamp="1418078319"]It is indeed that very one.....

Couldnt really stretch to a Sidelock and so the boxlocks it was to be.

This one of course has a sort of side plate arrangement to it which I liked, that along with the fact that the stock hadnt been molested or lengthened and its engraving.

Small details in the mechanism and top rib made it stand out to me.

Contemplated the purchase for a week, as have too many toys as it is. But even my non shooting new wife said it looked nice and was a piece of history.

So with her blessing it came home with us tonight

Edited by blasterjudd

Westley

Its in the cabinet now. Will take a peak in the morn.

Could be a mixture of Airfix , Lego and super glue but either way Im in love with a piece of metal...

Have been in there a few times over the years, but have only ever purchased powders and some BP patches for when I used to have some 'dirty' guns......

Very friendly service and dont seem to frown upon you if your looking to spend a small amount or a large one.. Unlike the one where they 'invite' you into the posh viewing room

Despite being sleeved, I would stick to 28g or less loads. The woodwork, action etc are 130 years old, so deserve some respectful treatment. I use Hull 21g Comp X in my old guns for a few clays - and Hull Imperial 26g for game days. Both work really well in old guns - and shooting them is a real pleasure. Its a lovely thing - and you will get a lot of enjoyment from it.

I recently bought a Fred Williams sxs hammergun from Wabbitbosher and love it. If I am going for a little walk around some hedges it's what I grab. I have been sticking some 28g through it but will give the Hull Imperial a go. As long as I don't forget to take the Black Gold Dark Storm 32g out of my pocket otherwise it could end in a pile of bits.

It is a back action sidelock, not a boxlock. Those are not mere decorative plates, they bear the working parts of the lock inside.

That's a smashing gun, from a well known and highly respected maker. Charles Lancaster is well worth researching, the name is an integral part of the DNA of English gunmaking in its heyday.

Well done, a lovely choice, I'm sure you will enjoy it for many years.

Gentlemen

Wow, all this information is great- especially pleased that I have my 'Sidelock' that I thought I couldn't afford.

If I hadnt been told it had been sleeved then I would not have known, such is the standard of work.

Was only going to use 24 or 21 loads through the 'Old girl' - didnt get the chance at Bisley this morning due to the boys in blue using Butt Zero.

I feel a bit of investigation of the marque is in order now as my intrest has been raised.

Thsnks once again for all.

Jay

Edited due to poor spelling

post-61953-0-41421700-1418133780_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jaymo