Dog fouling and DNA.

Cranfield

On the way back from this mornings foray, I heard an interesting segment on Radio 4's the World at One.

Apparently consideration is being given for local Authorities to licence any dogs in their areas whose owners wish to take them on public land (sports grounds, beaches, footpaths, country parks, etc.).

Part of the requirement is for the dogs DNA to be included in a register.

Any illegal dog fouling could then be examined and traced back to the perpetrator dog (and owner).

With the assumption that prosecution would follow.

It was also suggested that unlicensed dog owners found on public places could also be fined.

A spokesman said that Local Authorities already have powers to insist on this licensing under existing local protection orders.

They said that this procedure is used in parts of the USA, Canada, Singapore and a few other places were mentioned.

I didn't hear all the fine detail, but I think a one off £30 fee was suggested for the licence.

Its claimed to dramatically reduce the level of dog fouling in public places.

No, its not April 1st, that was my first thought. :)

I don't mind this - keeps the responsible amongst us away from the few that don't take the responsibility of dog ownership seriously.

So long as it was a one off £30 ish amount then it would get my vote.

Wonder if they would publish a weekly 'name and shame' list of those found not to be cleaning up?

Sounds good in principle but as with all things it is how the law is written and the spirit it is enforced with. How for instance would you "clean up after your dog" so as not to leave a forensic trace if the act was committed in front of an over zealous enforcer of the law? They are not going to like bleach on the park grass. Now responsible owners clean up as best they can but the problem is the sloppy deposits.

Edited by TriBsa

Its a sound idea in principle but would a council who are already strapped for cash going to pay a few hundred for a dna test for the guilty party to be fined £50?

on a side rant I wish dog owners were more responsible, my kids school have had to cancel football matches at lunch due to the ammount of dog eggs on the pitch.

Sounds good in principle but as with all things it is how the law is written and the spirit it is enforced with. How for instance would you "clean up after your dog" so as not to leave a forensic trace if the act was committed in front of an over zealous enforcer of the law? They are not going to like bleach on the park grass. Now responsible owners clean up as best they can but the problem is the sloppy deposits.

+1

It's also difficult where the local council don't cut the grass short enough to find all Fido's little eggs.

It is a bit like the old dog licence scenario,the law abiding will get the licence and submit to dna, the scum will not as the chances of them being caught are slim,down my way we have over 120 miles of national coast path alone +loads of beaches and fields, the chances of being seen or caught are very slim, i cannot remember the last time i saw a dog warden in my county.When out with the dog walking our beaches or coast path and we see someone let their dog foul and go to walk away i usually offer then a poo bag from my pocket and in a loud voice say "do you need one of these" it usually works,if they start to walk away taking a picture of them ,their dog and the poo usually has them reaching out for the bag,only had one walk off,but as he got out of his car in the same car park as me i bagged it and got back to the car park before him,i left it where he could see it ,under his windscreen wiper.

It is a bit like the old dog licence scenario,the law abiding will get the licence and submit to dna, the scum will not as the chances of them being caught are slim,down my way we have over 120 miles of national coast path alone +loads of beaches and fields, the chances of being seen or caught are very slim, i cannot remember the last time i saw a dog warden in my county.When out with the dog walking our beaches or coast path and we see someone let their dog foul and go to walk away i usually offer then a poo bag from my pocket and in a loud voice say "do you need one of these" it usually works,if they start to walk away taking a picture of them ,their dog and the poo usually has them reaching out for the bag,only had one walk off,but as he got out of his car in the same car park as me i bagged it and got back to the car park before him,i left it where he could see it ,under his windscreen wiper.

Good for you. :good:

It would be a full-time job for someone around here for a while, that's for sure; picking up dog **** and taking it to the local vet or wherever. No doubt our council tax will rise to cover the cost as I can't see the fine mentioned being anywhere near enough to do so. We already pay a higher %tage around here to cater for the clean up after the gypsies have gone home. I wonder if they could do the same with those who frequent the gypsy fair, but no doubt DNA tests would infringe their ethnic minority rights. Believe me, having to wipe human excrement off your boots is no laughing matter either, although it is easier to avoid as there's usually a bit of white paper ( or a t-shirt or similar piece of clothing) indicating its presence, unless it's windy of course. :)

Some local has taken to going out and spraying a circle of white line marker around all the heaps of dog carp they can find. There are some big dogs around here by the look of things. Son has said one of his mates has suggested leaving a deposit of his own and sticking some Mistletoe in it just for a laugh.

They're gonna need a ladder to spray those hanging in the branches in their little bags however, that the owners have picked up but then slung in the trees and hedgerows. I can never get my head around the logic behind this.

Imagine the havock an anti dog person; or someone with a grudge against you, with a freezer and cake icing bag could create if they got hold of a large deposit. They could be planting evidence for weeks at the location of their choice.

Edited by TriBsa

This will never happen and councils wont pay to DNA test all poop left behind. The dog licence was scrapped becaue it were unenforceable and this would go the same route.

You will always those who do the right thing and those who wont-this is society im afraid.

You will if you have the attitude of just let them get way with it, because the way to stop it goes into the too hard to do bin.

KW

Edited by kdubya

You will if you have the attitude of just let them get way with it, because the way to stop it goes into the too hard to do bin.

KW

Thing is,to the majority of normal owners-not clearing up after your dog is considered unacceptable,but all it takes a small percentage who dont to make a place an eyesore if they use it often enough.

Im surrounded by playing fields and during winter when the nights draw in earlier and stay darker longer it encourages people to adopt the out of sight menatlity.Theres a lot of poop round here at moment,but during summer it reduces considerably.

Like i said-you will always those who do and those who dont.

To be honest I find this absolutely hilarious.

Struggling nhs, food banks in daily use, elderly without heating, the list goes on, and yet some bright sparks think it is a worthwhile cause to spend money completing DNA tests on dog *****!

I know it's a pain stepping in dog **** and I do get annoyed by people that leave deuces in footpaths or playing fields. But at the same time, I really don't understand why people are so angry about it. Many parks have ponds and the mess created by geese is far worse than any dog ***** I see lying around! Many urban bridges with footpaths under will be covered in pigeon mess! Also take a walk down a lane and you'll see **** everywhere from wildlife.

I wouldn't want my son rolling round in dog mess whilst playing in the park and If I saw someone not picking up after their dog in a recreational area I would say something. Nevertheless I think there's plenty of other things more important to worry about, such as all of our impending deaths due to Ebola.

I didn't suggest it was Government policy, just a segment on the BBC news.

I agree with some of the sceptical comments, but the fact it has been successful elsewhere must be encouraging.

Also, if the fines were realistic, the exercise would probably be profitable, at least until people learned the lesson.

I like your style!

only had one walk off,but as he got out of his car in the same car park as me i bagged it and got back to the car park before him,i left it where he could see it ,under his windscreen wiper.

Like it. But should have left it smeared under his car door handle instead; would have focused his mind even more...

So glad I live in the countryside.......How do they deal with all the urban fox doo on the pavement...?

Granted owners should clear it up but plenty of room for error with a over park attendant mistaking a bitch squatting to wee when the owner and dog are a long way off.....

One example here...............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-_CXAOq2QI

TEH

There are laws already in place regarding dog fouling-what is lacking is the desire/money to uphold them.

My neighbour works for environmental health. One of his roles was to attend the local park and intervene if a dog owner did not pick up. All that ended up happening was him receiving lots of abuse from the dog owner. He has no powers over a member of the public so apart from verbally pointing it out, there wasnt much he could do. So just a waste of time.

He ended up just having a coffee in the cafe for a quiet life when he was on rota.

With regards the DNA, it puts fear into dog owners. And this country is run on fear. Take a look at the news theres lessons for you there, the fear of what will happen if you do something naughty. The reality is the media have to instil fear into us all as there is no longer the manpower to actually address the issue of you doing something naughty. The police budget has been cut by a further 300 milllion this year.