asbestos walls in rental property

oneshotkiller

It's safe unless it is disturbed so if a builder comes in and disturbs it without doing a asbestos survey by rights they should foot the bill to make the house safe and replace all the interior finishes that had been affected, I heard of one very big domestic gas company having to shell out 90k on two separate houses because of one of their engineers disturbing asbestos and then going to another job and contaminating a second house

Edited by fuzzypigeon

Bit of advise please guys , rented a prefab cottage with the missus , had a couple of rads replaced and on the now spare wall it looks like asbestos walls :/

Should my landlord not of informed me about this in my tenancy aggrement ?

Is it safe etc ?

Not if he didn't know about encapsulated asbestos no.

Contact the Landlord immediately with your concerns if you feel asbestos materials have been exposed and ask him to investigate.

He has a legal obligation to.

If he doesn't oblige straight away take it up with the Local Authority Environmental Health Department.

Don't worry too much about contamination, its only when encapsulated asbestos is disturbed and particles are released to the atmosphere there becomes an immediate health risk.

Did the heating Engineer notice anything or raise any concerns. ?

Edited by Fisherman Mike

AS FM says it's only dangerous if fibres are released into the air. The trouble is that a lot of building boards look like AIB (asbestos insulation board) and can easily be mis-identified. Follow FM's advice on reporting it :yes: , but I'd be surprised if your heating engineer didn't pick it up. These blokes are one of the most at risk so are pretty clued up.

If you believe all all what the H&S people say about asbestos quite why anyone over the age of 50 are still alive I do not now

Believe it - The electrician who previously lived in my house died from mesothelioma. I've also personally known one M&E Contractor and another Electrician who died as a result of the same.

+1

My dad used to cut it for a living and my mates dad's first job was cleaning out the machines. Both alive

Honestly Mate, don't count your chickens. I've known several people die from asbestosis and they're usually in their fifties having been exposed in their teens thru work.

One chap I know wasn't struck until he was in his eighties but has survived by having part of his lung encapsulated (don't know the fine details of it but he worked for the electric board when he was younger) Most seem to get it from lagging and insulation jobs connected to plumbing or from carpentry based ones sawing sheets up.

My first job was in Milton Keynes burning and scraping the asbestos roof gutter joints of a Minolta camera warehouse so they could be resealed with resin. Never knew it could be dangerous. Who knows if that will come back to bite me?

Talking to the asbestos removal teams it is thought that exposure over a long period of time is the way to get it generally even though theoretically one microscopic fibre could set it off.

If you believe all all what the H&S people say about asbestos quite why anyone over the age of 50 are still alive I do not now

Working in the power industry means I am on the asbestos register, am I on it and worry for nothing? seems not when you consider this little FACT

More people die from asbestos related disease per year than are killed on the roads.

electrician put new lights in few months before we moved into the house , so landlord was informed also lining paper was put on the walls when removed you can clearly see what the walls are :(

Who removed the lining paper? If it was you, be careful, you could be held responsible for any Asbestos contamination! Especially if you used any form of scraper!

Our bungalow had artex ceilings in every room, all with asbestos flakes in the artexing. We had all the ceilings reboarded and skimmed even inside the storage areas.One of the most vulnerable sections of past workers are our firemen of the 50's 60's and 70's most of the hose pipes they used were asbestos lagged and all the fire blankets were suspect but lots of these anomolies are swept under the carpet.If you live in a farmhouse and have an old AGA in situ, you can bet that is insulated with red asbestos dust, one of the worst offenders.I distinctly recall moving to a cottage and buying an old AGA in bits ,complete with sacks of the original asbestos dust, moved in the back of my old Landy. I'm more than likely a prime contender but we all snuff it from something or other. from Auntie.

Who removed the lining paper? If it was you, be careful, you could be held responsible for any Asbestos contamination! Especially if you used any form of scraper!

If it is classed as accidentle release that you cannon be held responsible however if you were aware that it was asbestos then you could be prosicuted,the lanlord should be told and then he can review what he needs to do.They still mine over a million tonnes a year of the stuff

Honestly Mate, don't count your chickens. I've known several people die from asbestosis and they're usually in their fifties having been exposed in their teens thru work.

One chap I know wasn't struck until he was in his eighties but has survived by having part of his lung encapsulated (don't know the fine details of it but he worked for the electric board when he was younger) Most seem to get it from lagging and insulation jobs connected to plumbing or from carpentry based ones sawing sheets up.

None of my family has made it into their 80's so that's not a bad age as something's got to get you unfortunately .

My dad's in his 60's and we work in dust everyday so we've a lot worse to worry about now.

Don't get me wrong I always wear a dust mask even in the workshop ;)

None of my family has made it into their 80's so that's not a bad age as something's got to get you unfortunately .

My dad's in his 60's and we work in dust everyday so we've a lot worse to worry about now.

Don't get me wrong I always wear a dust mask even in the workshop ;)

By all accounts MDF will be next, I'm a carpenter too for my sins :blush:

If it is classed as accidentle release that you cannon be held responsible however if you were aware that it was asbestos then you could be prosicuted,the lanlord should be told and then he can review what he needs to do.They still mine over a million tonnes a year of the stuff

Ah Ok. Is this the same for builders who release it accidently or are they still liable?

Ah Ok. Is this the same for builders who release it accidently or are they still liable?

If you have any suspicion whatsoever that you have encountered asbestos (which has not been previously identified on the risk register during a asbestos identification survey of what ever stage) during building work, you should cease work immediately and inform your employer.

If you are a sole trader you should do similarly and inform your client.

It is their responsibility to have it inspected, tested, analysed and removed if it directly affects your works.

If you take instructions to proceed without following the proper H&S protocol you may both be liable.

Providing that no one knows it is there then it is the same for any one.We do a lot of work in schools each site has a type 2 survey and any major work will have a type 3 done that is more in depth but no one has x ray vision.The problem starts when works starts and asbestos is known about but it is kept quiet,a few years ago a head teacher ended up in court for not telling the window fitters about it.We are selfs only a few weeks ago found some that was not shown,the job stops and then cleaned up it may be costly but thats how it is

If you have any suspicion whatsoever that you have encountered asbestos (which has not been previously identified on the risk register during a asbestos identification survey of what ever stage) during building work, you should cease work immediately and inform your employer.

If you are a sole trader you should do similarly and inform your client.

It is their responsibility to have it inspected, tested, analysed and removed if it directly affects your works.

If you take instructions to proceed without following the proper H&S protocol you may both be liable.

Ok Thanks.

It was so laughable as the company I reported were the company who sent me on and paid for an Asbestos awareness qualification about 3 months prior to their OWN misdeeds!

My guess they only sent you on that course just to tick the boxes and cover there own backside in the case that anything comes back to them at a later date.

A lot aren't! About fifty people a week die from asbestosis. We know because my uncle ( a builder) died from it and my aunt campaigned for awareness for many years.