Ched Evans..What are your thoughts.

Fisherman Mike

The thing is, the girl involved has had her evidence at the first trial completely trashed and you have to now wonder about the police investigation and the way evidence was presented at the first trial.

They must have known things were not right, but they went for it anyway. There does appear to have been an element of stitch up. Probably because he was a footballer, they feared dropping it would draw accusations of a cover up, and it would have. .

Now they are going to find themselves right under the spotlight in a very big way and the compensation lawyers will be circling. I would not like to be in their shoes.

A few years ago there was a public campaign about the police not taking rape allegations serious and erring on the side of the accused or trying to get the victims to drop the case for crime stat' purposes. As a result the pendulum has now swung the other way and many people are now prosecuted on evidence that would previously have been deemed to be unconvincing.

https://campaignforsocialscience.org.uk/sex-crimes-recorded/

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/mar/04/police-behaviour-sex-attacks-women-change

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago there was a public campaign about the police not taking rape allegations serious and erring on the side of the accused or trying to get the victims to drop the case for crime stat' purposes. As a result the pendulum has now swung the other way and many people are now prosecuted on evidence that would previously have been deemed to be unconvincing.

https://campaignforsocialscience.org.uk/sex-crimes-recorded/

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/mar/04/police-behaviour-sex-attacks-women-change

Quite a few years ago I was sitting in a pub with a mate I went to school with, a serving copper in the Met and his girlfriend who was a WPC in the Met. She had just been put on the very first dedicated rape team in the Met which was being set up at the time as a new venture. (yes it was that long ago)

She was really enthusiastic and they had been going through old case notes as part of the training. One thing she said that night has always stuck in my mind. Many accusers have made accusations in the past and part of her job was to identify and filter out the attention seekers, the grudges and the fruitcakes.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't it would appear

So now he has been cleared he served 2.5 years career in taters hope the women involved is proud with herself don't get me wrong anyone who commits rape should be locked up and the key thrown away so what happens to the women who lied and ruined not only his career but his life true he should have been more careful but he has paid for a crime he did not comit

Quite a few years ago I was sitting in a pub with a mate I went to school with, a serving copper in the Met and his girlfriend who was a WPC in the Met. She had just been put on the very first dedicated rape team in the Met which was being set up at the time as a new venture. (yes it was that long ago)

She was really enthusiastic and they had been going through old case notes as part of the training. One thing she said that night has always stuck in my mind. Many accusers have made accusations in the past and part of her job was to identify and filter out the attention seekers, the grudges and the fruitcakes.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't it would appear

It is a very difficult situation. Investigating someone for a spurious allegation of rape can affect the suspect for life. Not taking the allegation seriously could potentially lead to more victims. Someone has to make that call.

From my personal point of view, at the very lowest level of British policing, i.e. the uniformed response role; I had never come across a genuine case of rape from when I started in 1987 until around 2005. And I only came across one genuine legally defined rape and that was a technicality. Most were slappers or willing participants who later regretted their actions or had been found out my parents or husbands / partners.

What many don't realise that in the eyes of the law consent to sexual activity cannot be given while drunk. So if you and the wife come home from the pub a bit tiddly and get on with it, both of you are committing an illegal act as neither of you can legally consent to it. If consensual sex takes place over the bins outside a nightclub it doesn't matter that both parties were gagging for it, one could later allege rape and the other is by nature of the law guilty. That is why there are so many miscarriages of justice and historically reluctance fr the police to besmirch one party on the uncorroborated allegations of another.

Edited by UKPoacher

So now he has been cleared he served 2.5 years career in taters hope the women involved is proud with herself don't get me wrong anyone who commits rape should be locked up and the key thrown away so what happens to the women who lied and ruined not only his career but his life true he should have been more careful but he has paid for a crime he did not comit

That's true but I'm not completely sorry for him. All that trouble could have been avoided. OK he paid a very high price but he was the architect of his own downfall.

Funny how witnesses magically appear when 50k is offered by his girlfriend, wonder if she wrote a script for them. Why on earth would she stand by the slug.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3838534/Ched-Evans-fiancee-offered-50-000-reward-evidence-Facebook.html

Perhaps she loves him.??

Evans is a fool but the girls moral principles were obviously on the same plane.

Invited to a hotel room with 2 male footballers..?

Did she think she was going there to watch Strictly and play monopoly.??

Funny how witnesses magically appear when 50k is offered by his girlfriend, wonder if she wrote a script for them. Why on earth would she stand by the slug.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3838534/Ched-Evans-fiancee-offered-50-000-reward-evidence-Facebook.html

That is one of the biggest problems facing the Criminal Justice System. An increasing number of people including eye witnesses who may have vital evidence about cases will not willingly participate in the case. There is an old joke about a murder scene in a play in New York and half the audience walked out and said they hadn't seen anything. That is the situation faced by prosecutors every day now. Sadly sometimes money is the only way to get people to step forward and give evidence.

Perhaps she loves him.??

Evans is a fool but the girls moral principles were obviously on the same plane.

Invited to a hotel room with 2 male footballers..?

Did she think she was going there to watch Strictly and play monopoly.??

Not true, Evans friend took her to the hotel then got in touch with Evans saying get over here I've got a girl here. Evans went then sneaked out through a side exit.

Not true, Evans friend took her to the hotel then got in touch with Evans saying get over here I've got a girl here. Evans went then sneaked out through a side exit.

Sorry I stand corrected..

So presumably she could have left at anytime or called the receptionist or concierge if she felt threatened.

Personally I think this is nothing more than three consenting adults, albeit of low moral principles, having sex and one subsequently thought they could make a substantial sum of money out of it.

Irrespective of anyone's opinion of Evans. Justice has prevailed.

So presumably she could have left at anytime or called the receptionist or concierge if she felt threatened.

Personally I think this is nothing more than three consenting adults, albeit of low moral principles, having sex and one subsequently thought they could make a substantial sum of money out of it.

The Prosecutions case is that she was too drunk to make any decisions.

I also believe that some money has been spread around witnesses and I do not believe the females past sexual activity has any bearing on the matter.

Its a pointless debate, as he has been found not guilty, but I think he is very guilty indeed.

Concierge? :hmm:

It was a Premier Inn. The best she could hope for was that Lenny Henry was passing by :lol:

The Prosecutions case is that she was too drunk to make any decisions.

I also believe that some money has been spread around witnesses and I do not believe the females past sexual activity has any bearing on the matter.

Its a pointless debate, as he has been found not guilty, but I think he is very guilty indeed.

Good job your not a high court judge then Canfield :)..or 25% of the young party goers in every major city in the country would probably end up in the slammer on Sunday Morning. My niece works in a Premier Inn..She often jokes that the dawn chorus of birds singing normally starts at the same time the pubs and clubs close.

Concierge? :hmm:

It was a Premier Inn. The best she could hope for was that Lenny Henry was passing by :lol:

Quite... :lol:

Edited by Adge Cutler

I'm sure that money will come in to the equation now though. I'm sure that his legal team will claim substantial loss and damages from the police and or anyone that has a penny to spare. Loss of earnings,damage to reputation, personal liberty, the list will be long and expensive. Our company was sued heavily just for a driver cutting his thumb on the premises. And we are talking about a very small cut. We thought he was joking.

I agree.

They made it out to be rape when it wasnt.

The case hinged on if she was too drunk to give consent to Evans. Isn't rape sexual intercourse without consent?

She went to the hotel with one guy, had sex ( i don't know if it was consensual) and then had sex with another.

The law, which we have to abide by has found him not guilty after a retrial........

Morally??

Both men have the morals of the gutter....

Let's not forget, Evans was with the current girlfriend.