how do you tell your boss?

Paddy Galore!

Hi gents,

I've been given a questionnaire from work, about the work and what we think about the company. :lol:

while most of the questions are the usual drivel, some are designed to really lambast them should we so choose. I know this isn't a good idea but how could I best tell them that they have no organisation skills, let some of their staff get away with anything, and generally treat the rest of their employees like poo without upsetting the apple cart?

cheers for any help, be it funny or otherwise genuinely useful, i'm all ears.

ta,

Paddy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of no use to you at all this, but back in the early 1980's I worked for a company which made and designed modems, circuit boards and in fact designed the TX2000.

The boss had no 'people' skills whatsoever as he was something of a reclusive boffin during the war, developing radar and such like, and while nobody hated him he wasn't held in high regard. At a Christmas party one of the female employees who had a bit of a reputation as a tart with a heart, told him after he had made a speech, that when we all started working for him we thought he was a bit of a ******, but that we all thought he was ok now, and then flashed her tits at him.

She didn't last long. Shame really, nice tits.

Of no use to you at all this, but back in the early 1980's I worked for a company which made and designed modems, circuit boards and in fact designed the TX2000.

The boss had no 'people' skills whatsoever as he was something of a reclusive boffin during the war, developing radar and such like, and while nobody hated him he wasn't held in high regard. At a Christmas party one of the female employees who had a bit of a reputation as a tart with a heart, told him after he had made a speech, that when we all started working for him we thought he was a bit of a ******, but that we all thought he was ok now, and then flashed her tits at him.

She didn't last long. Shame really, nice tits.

lol!

anonymously

ideally yes, but they'll just throw it in the bin without reading too much into it, it's a shame as there's so many ways to improve things and I've got some really good ideas, I just struggle with the diplomacy.

lol!

ideally yes, but they'll just throw it in the bin without reading too much into it, it's a shame as there's so many ways to improve things and I've got some really good ideas, I just struggle with the diplomacy.

Just tell them the ideas without slagging anyone off. if they dont show any interest then they are a bunch of tossers and you should go self employed

That is a really interesting exercise, although there is always the chance that they just throw it in the bin.

One thing I have discovered is that workers almost always think that their managers are disorganised and could do better, but very often they only look at their manager from one perspective, they often don't appreciate what the job fully entails.

So if you want to give constructive feedback then don't just throw rocks, but offer alternatives and solutions. So as an example instead of saying planning and communication is poor, say that planning could be improved by doing this and this which would improve performance and engage the staff more effectively, etc.

Put yourself in your bosses place, find out what they have to do and then try and offer feedback in that context.

If you don't tell he truth nothing will ever get fixed. In any company you should be able to give constructive feedback (don't just tell them they are ****) with out fear of persecution. Challenging leadership in the right way will leave you respected and valued.

Hi gents,

I've been given a questionnaire from work, about the work and what we think about the company. :lol:

while most of the questions are the usual drivel, some are designed to really lambast them should we so choose. I know this isn't a good idea but how could I best tell them that they have no organisation skills, let some of their staff get away with anything, and generally treat the rest of their employees like poo without upsetting the apple cart?

cheers for any help, be it funny or otherwise genuinely useful, i'm all ears.

ta,

Paddy

If your company has to rely on questionnaires like this it shows a lack of comms and understanding within your business. I once worked for a well knows high street Chemist that were mad for these questionnaires didnt make them a better employee people just wouldnt go to their line manager if they had a problem they would wait until the survey and put a load of bile down.

They dont help anything and just give the HR partners something to justify their management fee with.

Last place I worked at my immediate manager was a workshy tool who thought he was gifted. He was also on the take, regularly took time off with poor excuses and left me to dig us out of the poo.

Our other Team leader was fiddling expenses, working short hours, claiming he worked full weekends, threatened staff and was also another talentless idiot.

At least 20 people have left as a direct result of these two and all informed HR accordingly. I said the same to HR when I was thinking of leaving - the problem needs fixing or I'm going and the problem will continue. I left and it's still the same.

HR are paid by management. They might like to think they can call the shots, but ultimately they can only do whatever management will let them.

Don't kid yourself that some questionnaire will cure things - it won't. If you don't like it, just leave and be done with it.

thanks for the input so far, I've done foreman stuff before, i can't see why my boss makes such a meal of things when a simple build program would cure a lot of the headaches, the surveyors too leave a lot to be desired, there's maybe two, that are any good the others are just chancing it.

If you don't tell he truth nothing will ever get fixed. In any company you should be able to give constructive feedback (don't just tell them they are ****) with out fear of persecution. Challenging leadership in the right way will leave you respected and valued.

Yup, it works every time, but its always best to have another job lined up , just in case it doesn't. :)

Be honest, constructive and do not be personal.

Exactly.

They've asked. Keep factual, giving examples where you can. Don't give opinions if you can avoid doing so.

Don't get personal or emotional. Re-read it and if you wouldn't want your views to be publically known, then read it again and see if you can improve it. Nobody can argue with facts.

It is great that your management are 'seeking to understand'. Many don't.

Peeing in the wind IMO. Keep your trap shut and dont be so nieve as to believe anybody actually wants to know what you think

On the money.

Some years ago, I attended many, many meetings. The chairman asked me for an honest opinion of how the meetings went. I said that they were fine. He asked me to be blunt. I repeated the opinion. He said he had hoped for more. He said I had a reputation for straight talking and that is what he wanted.

I told him he failed to control any meetings. They didn't start on time, didn't finish on time and never dealt with the agenda items. I added that if we ever came to a decision, I would have a nosebleed.

He thanked me for my straight opinion and then joined a queue of people marking my card.

Never trust anyone who asks for your honest opinion, unless they are a good friend or you don't care about your future prospects.