Road Kill

Scully

Have just returned from a 13 mile trip on the A66 and counted 17 pheasants, 3 badgers, 3 rabbits, 1 duck, 1 partridge and what looked like a woodcock but couldn't be sure, dead on the road or its verges. What a waste.

You ought to drive more carefully

I very nearly ran into the back of a horse drawn gypsy caravan on that road a few years back, they were heading to the Appleby horse fair and I was heading home.

Always does seem to be some road kill on it, fortunately that day it did not include a horse or the occupants of the caravan.

I have seen a dead horse on it though, abandoned by the gypsies and hit by an artic'.

I used to know an avid fox shooter....... He once drove his landy up the hard shoulder of the A1 chasing a fox.

When I lived down south, in buckinghamshire I had some rough shooting at the side of the A5, I shot a fair few wounded CWD and muntjac that had been injured by cars (broken legs etc..) And ended up stuck in a field at the side of the road

I used to know an avid fox shooter....... He once drove his landy up the hard shoulder of the A1 chasing a fox.

When I lived down south, in buckinghamshire I had some rough shooting at the side of the A5, I shot a fair few wounded CWD and muntjac that had been injured by cars (broken legs etc..) And ended up stuck in a field at the side of the road

Would that be close to Woburn? I believe the Muntjac first escaped from the deer park at the Abbey and they spread outwards from there.

Its a Land Rover, they don't do getting your foot down.

Correct. :yes: I have often picked them up in the past, especially for ferret food in the colder months, but I was in a bit of a rush to get back today and there was a bit of traffic about.

As has been mentioned there are many shoots surrounding the A66 along its entire route, (I was on the stretch between Penrith and Appleby) so it's not uncommon to find roadkill at any time of year, but it was just the sheer number of pheasants which caught my eye so decided to count them on the return trip. The biggest shoot locally which is directly against the road will possibly be Jenkies at Whinfell, where the Center Parcs holiday park is located.

Grrclark mentioned horse drawn gypsy caravans on the A66. It's not that long ago, maybe 3 or 4 years, when an artic ran straight into the back of one and wiped out the entire family, just outside Appleby. As a result there are now signs come June warning of such all the way from Scotch Corner in the East to Carlisle in the North and most routes in between.

Can't say I've noticed an increase in badger carcasses, but it's been a long time since I've seen a hedgehog, flat or otherwise.

Is it legal to pick up road kill, I thought I read somewhere a few years back that you can be done for poaching even if you didn't run it over.Going to google see what I can find.

I thought you could pick it up as long as you weren't the one who ran it over, but maybe that's just anurban miff.

Pheasants at this time of year have only one thing on their mind females and fighting,forgetting about their own wellbeing, allways notice more dead male pheasants on the roads in spring.

Interestingly I've noticed a higher than usual number of hen pheasants on the side of the road this spring. Maybe there are fewer male pheasants this year or maybe it's the hens that are doing the chasing round our way...??