Car Tax, dont fall foul of this one.

fortune

I bet that no one owns up to this sort of thing in any party political.

the minister could/ Should get on tele at the first oportunity and say "ok chaps this wasn't what was intended, I'll have a chat with the boys and get it scrubbed pronto".

I might even consider voting for someone that had the equipment to stand up and do something right for a change.

" Good old Nige I hear you cry"

I know i'm going to get flak. But if it gets rid of untaxed and uninsured car's i'm all for it .

Agree in principal, but the convoluted process of cancelling the tax then having to re-tax when ownership changes is completely nonsensical. It's either crass stupidity or a cynical ploy to trap and extort money from the motorists.

Another one on tax is..... If you garage your car and leave it uninsured whilst off the road even for a very short time ...... And don't cancel your tax, you will be fined without warning.

You can keep an insured car off the road without tax

You cannot keep a taxed car off the road without insurance

If I've got this the wrong way around, please feel free to correct me

Another one on tax is..... If you garage your car and leave it uninsured whilst off the road even for a very short time ...... And don't cancel your tax, you will be fined without warning.

You can keep an insured car off the road without tax

You cannot keep a taxed car off the road without insurance

If I've got this the wrong way around, please feel free to correct me

1. The previous doesn't seem to make any sense to me. none of the things in my link make any real sense either. Fair enough no one wants cars on the road in a dangerous uninsured state but that lot is just a stupid government machine without any brains in it at all.

2. ( this is not anything to do with the post by Malkiserow) I did write that there would be some high and mighty statements about " its peoples own fault for not reading or understanding the rules and it serves them right, but they wouldn't be that chuffed if they got caught up in this sort of nonsense.

It is pretty straightforward. If you buy a new to you car, you have to tax it straightaway. There is no carryover of tax from the previous owner. This was discussed on here months ago when it first came into effect. Sure DVLA haven't communicated it well, but it is a better system for the vast majority of people. The practical effect is that everyone should just move to a monthly direct debit. If you sell your car, cancel the DD. There is no partial credit on road tax, and you haven't paid months in advance so no refund required. You're always paid exactly up to date.

All of the examples in the article are extreme examples and fringe cases. It isn't a government scam, it isn't a ploy. It is a new system that people need to get used to.

rick

Old system.... I sell a car with 6 months tax.... unscrupulous people buying the car have no need to tax the car, no need to register and no need to insure. This happened to me.

They took the car and then ran it about nicking farm machinery and running dogs across farms. Eventually they were caught but the new system means that every car transaction starts with registering the car in some way tax, insurance etc and big brother knows where (almost) every car is and who owns it.

That's the way I see it

I bought a car end of last year, taxed and MOT'd

Got a letter the other day "You may think your car is taxed but it isn't"

So I had to pay £70 in back tax and buy more for the year ahead.

Turned out he ad went in before the cut-off, I bought the car just after, the seller got an automatic re-fund (even though I still had the disk in the window)

Nice of him to contact me to let me know - not.

I thought you needed the tax disc in order to get a refund, prior to changes?

I prefer things the old way, but then in one of those that struggles with change.

And surley in the case of jeffjjack, you should har sent off the v5 and change of ownership date, and therefore anything after that date isn't your problem?

Edited by southeastpete

I've noticed an increase in ANPR police vans parked up scanning all passing traffic. I see this as a good thing. They first appear to be speed check vans but I think they are separate operations at present.

Yes they are out there and anyone who has complied will have nothing to worry about and the lazy or lawbreakers will hopefully get caught!

At a guess this will generate alot of extra income into the coffers.

I thnk this is still correct ?

When you sell a car you will only get refunded the full months left of tax. sell your car on the 3rd june and you will only get back from the end of june!!

If you buy a car then you have to tax it form that day say the 28th june your tax will run form 1st june!!!!

Add that lot up around the country and you have some major extra income!!

Potentially every car sold could produce double tax for that month!!!

You did.

Under the new scheme it is electronic apparently.

If I have still have the letter I will scan it and upload it.

It's automatic as well, I sold my last truck to a trader last June with a fair bit of tax left on, a few months later a cheque turned up with the difference.

So though some claim it's a scam it's probably better for you as you just pay tax on your vehicle while you own it