Bespoke stock

Old farrier

Hi

Thought I would share this with you 😊

Times change as does our types of shooting with this in mind I decide on a new gun mostly game shooting

Thinking ahead I thought it must be steel proof and capable of shooting anything and fireing anything through it

Fantasy gun build your own

So 3.1/2 magnum proof multichoke

Nice wood

Couldn't find what I wanted in my budget 😥

Idea

I have a gun meets all my requirements and shoot fairly well with it but its got a plain stock

401D8724-653D-476A-90BD-CB909911AC75_zps

So find a stock maker upgrade the wood to my measurements and jobs a good one

Find and choose the wood

FDEBAACF-0855-43B4-9FAF-6D49E6D0ACC6_zps

And set my criteria

Exebition wood

Semi pistolgrip

Teardrops ..(drop points)

Tulip forend

Are you with me so far ?

Deposit paid

Time passed asked for updates as I was shooting ion the wash

More update requests

Finally

9EA915D0-20DB-4241-B541-8F6D928AD089_zps

9EA915D0-20DB-4241-B541-8F6D928AD089_zps

Your views

All the best

Of

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi thanks for your comment

Although you may have not read all of the post

My remit was

Semi pistol grip (copy existing stock )

Teardrops

Tulip forend

Exebition wood

It's at this point I should mention that I have 2 of the guns that I decided to restock

So was hoping to keep them similar and perhaps have the number 2 gun restocked if I shot better with the bespoke one

All the best

Of

Answer to your question

Job started in September 12 weeks sadly not back yet

Price substantial

Very nice , but where are the tear drops you asked for ?

First prize well done on spotting the slightly miss placed teardrops

Anyone notice its not semi pistolgrip

Oh and not the tiger striped wood I chose

I proberably sound a bit pickey on this but bespoke IMO means you get what you ask for

Note

I am NOT decrying the workmanship

All the best

Of

Old Farrier - not wanting to knock the look of the woodwork, but it seems very unlike what you asked for. The wood certainly does not appear to be the same as the blank. Teardrops are missing, as is the semi pistol grip.

It might just be me, but I would be asking why I should pay for something I didn't order. Are you sure they have handed you the correct stock? I am not being sarcy, by the way.

As a customer - I wouldn't pay. Trading Standards would be on my list, if it turned awkward.

Has the stocker given any explanation as to why your wishes were disregarded?

Thanks for your comment

Communication has been difficult at times he did say he never used the wood I chose as the grain was a bit open and used a bit more suited to the job I then asked if it was the same price (no£100) more expensive at this point I mentioned that I felt he should have informed me of the change and got my approval on the wood choice

There have been further developments which I will post in due course

I am just trying to give members a idea of the pleasure 😗that can be had spending more money on a stock than most spend on a gun

All the best

Of

I would like to see the actual wood-to-metal fit of the new stock. That's very important, too, and hasn't been mentioned.

While I can appreciate that the blank you chose may not have been up to standard that should have been the subject of a dialogue, not a question of "I've chosen a different one for you".

If you specified a particular style of stock then that's what you should have had. Nothing more, nothing less.

Is there any possibility that the one in your photos is just a better grade factory stock rather than a custom made one?

Edited by CharlesP

I would like to see the actual wood-to-metal fit of the new stock. That's very important, too, and hasn't been mentioned.

While I can appreciate that the blank you chose may not have been up to standard that should have been the subject of a dialogue, not a question of "I've chosen a different one for you".

If you specified a particular style of stock then that's what you should have had. Nothing more, nothing less.

Is there any possibility that the one in your photos is just a better grade factory stock rather than a custom made one?

I thought that

I also noticed the spare butt plate

I'm sort of trying not to be cynical about this and trying to stay composed

Thanks for your comment

All the best

Of

Edit

Pow or semi pistol grip is important to me as I am finger deficient on one hand as is the tulip forend

Edited by Old farrier

I wouldn't be happy with that at all :no:

Yes, it's a nice looking piece of wood, but the comb looks very high and the stock very deep at the butt plate. It makes the whole thing look very chunky and weighty and really doesn't look like an elegant sporting gun at all. Is it heavier than the original? If so, I'd be concerned about balance. Of course, it may be just the camera angle...?

That's before you take into account the lack of teardrops, full pistol grip, extra cost for wood etc.

It's your money, but I'd be telling him he can keep it and go elsewhere.

I wouldn't be happy with that at all :no:

Yes, it's a nice looking piece of wood, but the comb looks very high and the stock very deep at the butt plate. It makes the whole thing look very chunky and weighty and really doesn't look like an elegant sporting gun at all. Is it heavier than the original? If so, I'd be concerned about balance. Of course, it may be just the camera angle...?

That's before you take into account the lack of teardrops, full pistol grip, extra cost for wood etc.

It's your money, but I'd be telling him he can keep it and go elsewhere.

Thanks for your comment 😊

It's a option I have considered

What chance do you think I have of getting my deposit back

All the best

Of