Memorial vigil planned for shot Wallsend cow Bessie

BattleFieldRelics

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And here is the dangerous beast. Looks like a pretty placid Heffer to me. Probably died in the name of Health and Safety and risk assessment. Doubt it would of presented a problem in days past.

Shouldn't have presented a problem today, as you say a placid looking beast, bring up a livestock trailer, walk it aboard, job done

usually all avenues are tried prior to despatch- like bringing an old milker down to walk it away or a cow handler with a feed bucket.

I believe it was the 'placid' beast was near to a major road and therefore a danger. If the alternatives are tried and failed OR are likely to fail if attempted then despatch is the only solution.

there'd be plenty moaning if had been allowed to wander into traffic.

job done.

f.

usually all avenues are tried prior to despatch- like bringing an old milker down to walk it away or a cow handler with a feed bucket.

I believe it was the 'placid' beast was near to a major road and therefore a danger. If the alternatives are tried and failed OR are likely to fail if attempted then despatch is the only solution.

job done.

f.

I accept that would have been the case, i think most people are flabbergasted at the thought of a vigil!

job done.

f.

That's good to hear. Trouble is journalists are so eager to get the "Police Shoot Cow" story out that the detail becomes lost. I sympathise with the police in these situations, their story isn't put across and they're in a no win situation often.

being from this area i can only try to relay our true loss of our beloved bessie ,she wasnt your run of the mill cow but a popular attraction where she lived at the country park for school kids and special needs children who fed and petted her daily it is them for who the true loss is greatest , she was placid and enjoyed the attention and to be cut down in her prime like that was a true miistake,the vigil is mostly aimed at the children to say goodbye.

Edited by remmy1100

job done.

f.

Would it not have been possible to knock it out with a tranquilliser dart? Before resorting to shooting the beast dead?