Not allowed to shoot

morty

Guest stevo

Thats it then steel may well be the way forward. :no:

I think were be ok mucker . Like i said its been around for 20 yrs and its not had any effect so sar . As this post has proved . Not many people know of it . And there are less and less signing up to it due to cost .

Wheat prices at the min are disgracefull . Around the £100-£105 per ton . ( thanks to russia and india . They have become very good at growing cereal/grain in massive ammounts) At those prices . Its becoming more and more of a struggle to break even let alone be in proffit .this is another reason why there are massive amounts of peas and beans this year . Everywhere you look peas..... Beans ....

I would say we have more chance our shooting land would be sold off for solar parks and wind turbines lol . Who knows Arible farming in this country could end being a thing of past . The average farmer is struggling . I know personally three farms that have jacked it in over the past 12 months due to finances .

This of course is just my veiw . And i could quite possibly be talking tosh ..... Lets hope so .

Edited by stevo

I've heard nothing of the sort, we grow rape, barley, wheat and beans.

OK keep your wig on :whistling: I got it wrong found out it was about clay pigeons in the rape seed mucking up the crushers sorry :/ this may be what the farmer has done and got the wrong end of the stick and thought it was about the lead shot.only saying like :hmm:

Edited by scutt

I'm a farmer and we had a letter from the red tractor scheme telling us about lead shot found in milling wheat.this letter has been sent to all farms who are grain assured.will try and put a pic of letter on here later.

Where have you lot been hiding haha. Its called assured crop and its been around for yrs and yrs farmers get a slightly better price per ton if there agree to there growing conditions and terms . However a lot dont bother as its hassle .

I have a few places where its assured . We still shoot it all you do is set up in the feild along the edges so your shooting OUT of the feild NOT into it .

I also think the OP's farmer is referring to the "Assured Scheme" , which has been confused with "Insured".

Members have posted about these restrictions in the past, but they seem quite isolated.

A few farms I shoot that have smaller areas of salad type crops, do not allow shooting in those areas, but it hasn't extended to standard arable crops.

I also know of shooters that cannot shoot orchard areas, when there is fruit on the trees.

I think were be ok mucker . Like i said its been around for 20 yrs and its not had any effect so sar . As this post has proved . Not many people know of it . And there are less and less signing up to it due to cost .

Wheat prices at the min are disgracefull . Around the £100-£105 per ton . ( thanks to russia and india . They have become very good at growing cereal/grain in massive ammounts) At those prices . Its becoming more and more of a struggle to break even let alone be in proffit .this is another reason why there are massive amounts of peas and beans this year . Everywhere you look peas..... Beans ....

I would say we have more chance our shooting land would be sold off for solar parks and wind turbines lol . Who knows Arible farming in this country could end being a thing of past . The average farmer is struggling . I know personally three farms that have jacked it in over the past 12 months due to finances .

This of course is just my veiw . And i could quite possibly be talking tosh ..... Lets hope so .

A lot of good sense in there Stevo.

I know a few guys who buy and sell grain and their margins have dropped like a stone. Definitely a time where only the fittest will survive.

Same here , I have never heard any mention of shot found in Peas , weather it is riddled out during the process of getting them ready for freezing I don't know, but there must be a few bits of shot penetrate the pods after a days shooting.

I've had this with peas, once they are podding but it was only a "be careful not to shoot into the crop" request, which seems very fair.

I'm a farmer and we had a letter from the red tractor scheme telling us about lead shot found in milling wheat.this letter has been sent to all farms who are grain assured.will try and put a pic of letter on here later.

As you say , I've found it it was a letter in the post and it is for assured crops and not insured crops .

It is called the red tractor scheme .

I suppose I will hav to wait till harvest time or maybe a flight line in to the peas , the farmer also gets top money for his assured crops .

So maybe a thing for the future .

Thanks morty

I don't grow Fresh Produce Crops, so don't have the Red Tractor Assurance 2015 protocols for these crops. However, I know that the 2014 protocols are to change for 2015 and it is entirely possible that a lead shot policy has been implemented. I do know for instance that shooting clays over rape after yellow bud stage is prohibited.

The tighter farm margins are squeezed, a greater number of farmers will sign up to this scheme which not only hopefully gives a greater margin but improves traceability and quality assurance and thus marketability.

Expect more of this.

I read about this in the farm office the other day, I can't remember which gumph it was in, this is the gist of it. someone at weatabix was asking growers to be careful about letting shoots over crops going for human consumption, although it is screened and checked they are finding, occasionaly, lead in their final product and wish to reduce this. Farmers are at the mercy of the large buyers and therefore they are likely to protect their investment through other means than shooting if that is the case, unfortunately for the OP

On the same page was another article asking that once rape gets to the pod stage that growers ensure that no clays are shot over the OSR to prevent contamination entering through the broken clays and whatever is it that they are made from.

It was only the other day I read it but my memory is rubbish and I can't remember the exact details but that is the general theme of the two articles I quickly read..

Yeah because all these GM foods and the likes of Aspatam,Ascorbic acid,etc which they put in our foods are all safe right and a little lead shot spread out over a few hundred acers is going to kill you .sounds like it's the guy's way of saying I don't want you shooting anymore

Ascorbic acid is a naturally occurring acid in lemon juice, which is used as a preservative - as it has been for hundreds of years. The production of ascorbic acid is no longer done from lemons purely because the amount required would be impractical to grow.

You might as well complain about water purification meaning that your water is not 'natural' any more : such an assertion would obviously be ridiculous.

Being a shooter is one thing. Being a farmer is another matter entirely.

Here is an extract from the COMBINABLE CROPS & SUGAR BEET NEWS LETTER

"As the head of quality for Weetabix and having worked in the wheat processing industry for years I remain amazed that, despite many improvements in other aspects of grain quality and safety we still continue to receive wheat which contains lead shot". We see it regulary in the overtails of our density seperators and occainsionally and more worringly on our finished product metal detectors....." He goes onto to state that 3600g of lead shot was taken from one silo. Now giventhe silos are in constants use and are not "cleaned" on a regular basis it is wrong to say this came from one silo load.

On thinking 3600g of lead is 1,000 36g cartridges or more of the lesser loads and that is only if ALL of the load was to stick on the head of the wheat. So lets say that .01% of a load will stick to a wheat head and the rest is on the floor. And this .01% goes through the combine, throught the trailer, is not lost in storage and makes it to the processing plant...... that would mean 100,000 catridges would have to be shot over the crop..... That is a lot of cartridges........ Me thinks Keith Turnbull from Weetabix may have got it wrong.....

He goes onto to say that we should not shoot over any crop that is past the "bud" stage to reduce risk...... My brother and father in-law thank fully think thi sis a load of tosh bu I know of three big estates which are banning shooting of lead over crops.

Ascorbic acid is a naturally occurring acid in lemon juice, which is used as a preservative - as it has been for hundreds of years. The production of ascorbic acid is no longer done from lemons purely because the amount required would be impractical to grow.

You might as well complain about water purification meaning that your water is not 'natural' any more : such an assertion would obviously be ridiculous.

Being a shooter is one thing. Being a farmer is another matter entirely.

Just out of interest ascorbic acid is vitamin C, there is no dangerous level for mammals.