Dry firing rifle

sjnshooter

Well I don't think it will do any harm directly. Using good snap-caps would be the way to go. Without anything to cushion the firing pin it does come to a jarring stop, and whilst dry firing now and a gain, for example before putting your shotgun away in the cabinet, is not a problem, practicing for half an hour a day might cause problems.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/cartridge-dummies/243-2-caps-per-pak-sku055816243-247-1179.aspx

You could use a spent case to cushion the shock each time. That's what I do when dry firing my .22 target rifle (rimfire), though for that I can rotate the case so that a new area of brass is presented to the firing pin each time. Not so easy for a centrefire but I would imagine that you could use each case one or two times at least.

Just do it. I think of the many thousand of dry firings made with military rifles during training.... Their components were not extra special.... Made by the cheapest bidder.

If it breaks get it fixed!

I would caution against loading an empty case as you may become conditioned to loading brass.....

Is there a chance you could mix things up????!!!!

Bad accident waiting to happen.

You say that and I thought the same when I was young but I think it was the second time I heard the end of a firing pin tinkle its way down a barrel that I started to question the logic!

Also not being in the army and having no aspirations of being in the army means I have no vast amount of spare parts on hand!

Then there is the few rare occasions I have accidentally left a gun loaded but fortunately and deliberately making a conscious decision to not pull the trigger willy nilly avoided accidental discharge!

Your milage may vary.

You say that and I thought the same when I was young but I think it was the second time I heard the end of a firing pin tinkle its way down a barrel that I started to question the logic!

Never heard of that before - You must have been very unlucky.

Also not being in the army and having no aspirations of being in the army means I have no vast amount of spare parts on hand!

In fourteen years of 'easing springs' on my .303 never heard a firing pin tinkling down a barrel - and there were several hundred squaddies abusing their weapons at the same time...

Then there is the few rare occasions I have accidentally left a gun loaded but fortunately and deliberately making a conscious decision to not pull the trigger willy nilly avoided accidental discharge!

Actuating the bolt would let you know if there was a loaded weapon in your hands. Like live firing you check it first.

Your milage may vary.

?????

I have dry fired my rifles all my life - and that's a fair old time. Gets confused with dry firing a shotgun but that's a totally different scenario. Practice away lad.

Never dry fire a rim fire

both my CZ rimfires have reference in the manual that dry firing is fine, it says to dry fire as part of the safety routine. I have dry fired them many many times and yet to have any ill effect.

Why do you say otherwise?

Edited by thepasty

both my CZ rimfires have reference in the manual that dry firing is fine, it says to dry fire as part of the safety routine. I have dry fired them many many times and yet to have any ill effect.

Why do you say otherwise?

The pin slaps into the face of the breech unlike a CF where it goes in line with the barrel - after a while the RF firing pin piens (spelling?) and can also cut a notch in the breech face

The pin slaps into the face of the breech unlike a CF where it goes in line with the barrel - after a while the RF firing pin piens (spelling?) and can also cut a notch in the breech face

Exactly that reason. With your CZ or Brno don't full rotate the bolt on closing go about 3/4 of the way down you can then pull the trigger with no issue.

We were always taught to dry fire rifles in the Cadets to minimise recoil flinch and likewise with handguns.

As an aside you don't need to dry fire your rf or cf rifle before putting away, if you squeeze the trigger while closing the bolt it slowly eases the pin into the fired position with no 'snap'.

Slightly off topic, whilst having a look at a Blaser F3 at the Midland fair last year the sales guy positively encouraged me to dry fire the gun to test the trigger pulls.

I am guessing that due to the unique trigger mechanism in the Blaser that it has no ill effect.