Legally held shotgun....OAP gets 2 years for having it loaded in his c

Sprackles

All of his guns and license should have been removed.But at his age and if there is any doubt about his mental state the the judge should have requested psychiatric tests if found to have problems then given the help needed.If found to be in a fit state of mind then the law must apply regardless of age.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the general feeling is that when you get old it's ok to break the law? Or you shouldn't get locked up when your old? Lord Jenner would love to hear that as would Rolf Harris and friends. The law has to apply to all regardless of age or position or it becomes little more than a stick with which to beat the unfortunate in society with.

So the general feeling is that when you get old it's ok to break the law? Or you shouldn't get locked up when your old? Lord Jenner would love to hear that as would Rolf Harris and friends. The law has to apply to all regardless of age or position or it becomes little more than a stick with which to beat the unfortunate in society with.

Significantly different circumstances. They committed crimes long before they were old, it took time to uncover them.

But surely if he was a bit smarter he could of claimed he had lawful athority to be there withj his gun, if he was travelling to or from his shooting (i thought it paper said he nipped for a paper on way home?, done that myself many times)

I'm sure am about to get shot down here but i didnae think there was a seperate charge for having a loaded shotgun to having a shotgun without lawful excuse?

Lie others i fail to see how that is in the public interest and being old does not mean u can ignore the law but he would be punished by having guns removed and a suspended sentance would be plenty.

When u hear some of the other punsihments handy out to really villains it seems very harsh

Over sentencing what are the guidelines for the judge?

What previous did he have and why did the police stop him!

Perhaps we should have a thread on what the sentence should be?

I say I year suspended £500 and court costs.

Help from neighbour hood watch, cameras to provide evidence to nick the little scrotes.

Removal of licence.

He hadn't pointed it at anyone so it was just plain stupid if he'd been pointing a loaded gun then it should be away time but at 88 much longer than a few weeks looks like a life sentence, and a few weeks wouldn't cost the state that much in respite care for his ailing wife.

Bet he was a real charmer when younger 88 and still full of testosterone now wonder we won WW2 with men like that!!!

John

I appreciate the law applies to all, with little consideration of their age.

However, it appears to have been rigidly enforced, whereas knife carriers do not go to jail every time - which was David Cameron's edict.

Animal Farm springs to mind - "All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

Ummmmm. Similar case?

A law-abiding pensioner who was facing a five year jail stretch for storing guns in his basement has avoided a prison sentence.

Richard Watt, 76, from Aberdeen, was handed 140 hours community service after appearing before judge Lord Burns at the High Court in Edinburgh yesterday.

The judge had previously heard how police found a corroded sawn-off shotgun, another shotgun in poor external condition and an antique pistol during a search at his home in the city’s Kincorth district.

He pleaded guilty to firearms offences, including possessing a prohibited weapon and possessing a gun while not holding a shotgun certificate, when he appeared at the court last month.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/aberdeen/336740/pensioner-guns-basement-avoids-jail-time/

• 3 weeks later...

Let's just hope they don't start pulling keepers over and checking they haven't got one under the bolt

To be fair you never get the full story in the press. For all we know he could be a right old villan age is only age it's not a character reference the press do spin things you know

the poor old boy most prob felt that he had to protect himself from these youths as the police most prob failed miserably to sort them out . None of us know the full story but I know for a fact that if I felt I or my family were endanger of harm due to menacing youths and the police failed to due nothing I'd protect myself with anything I can get my hands on. Sod my certificate .

the poor old boy most prob felt that he had to protect himself from these youths as the police most prob failed miserably to sort them out . None of us know the full story but I know for a fact that if I felt I or my family were endanger of harm due to menacing youths and the police failed to due nothing I'd protect myself with anything I can get my hands on. Sod my certificate .

Perhaps we should be changing the law so you can carry a loaded gun to defend yourself from these feral kids

I can't believe what I just read.

His own barrister failed him completely, not one person in that courtroom, people responsible for applying the laws of the land, questioned the type of weapon?

Just sounds like they all messed up and someone told them to sort it out. I wonder what penalty his defense will pay having been responsible for the wrong imprisonment?

The negative comments regarding a loaded shotgun inside a car are disappointing and defy logic. I carry a gun and cartridges together in my car. It takes just a few seconds to load. Is that going to make much difference if I decide to do harm?

Some of the comments are a bit sad on here and a few seem very quick to judge and seem to take some enjoyment ou of stories like this.

Atlest some common sense has been shown now

Possibly shows u the importance of getting a proper lawyer who is familar with firearms law or even bein a member of a shooting org, i'm sure most on BASC firearms team will have more knowledge/experience with firearms law than most 'normal' lawyers

Not trying to make out it is a good idea to have a loaded gun anywhere unless u intend to use it, but i always remember reading the ST and the late John Humphries wrote he had got home on a few occasions to unslip and clean his gun to find it still loaded.

I was quite shocked when i read that an have no jdea how it could happen to an expereinced shot, but accidents can and do happen occasionally, so u should all make sure u double check before slipping ur gun.

Perhaps it was a semi auto and it had cartridiges up the tube but not up the spout? Sure some would class that as loaded? Think all that has been stated is it's an antique

Let's just hope they don't start pulling keepers over and checking they haven't got one under the bolt
To be fair you never get the full story in the press. For all we know he could be a right old villan age is only age it's not a character reference the press do spin things you know

Kent with a firearm it would not matter where the bullets are (up spout, underloaded in mag or in ur pocket/glovebox) if u are in 'possesion' of both rifle and bullets then rifle is bizarrely classed as loaded legally zo u would need 'good reason' to be there.

Must admit not entirely sure on the law for shotguns as different but donn't tin there is a seperate charge for havinng a loaded shotgun (apart from the H&S issues) but there is for an airgun (if pellet in breech wether cocked or not)

Kent, not sure you are correct?

One In chamber, underloaded, or a loaded mag even not in gun classed as a loaded weapon?

Empty rifle and mag with ammunition separately stored, classed as safe and the recommended way to travel?

But obviously relating to your location, not recommended in a town, only going to or returning from a hunt?

This applies equally to shotgun and air gun?

I'm afraid some have all gone off piste about this?

Never mind about him being let down by all and sundry he was in possession of a loaded gun, end of, guilty?

If it had been discharged and hurt a member of your family would you feel the same? ? ? I don't think so? ? ?

If he was not aware of what he was doing? ? ? as being unlawful, should he have been allowed/in possession of said gun? ? ?

I know one disabled shooter who shoots far better than 95% of us?

That's my humble take on it anyway.

Edited by old man

Just watched a replay of 24hrs in police custody ,all about Bedfordshire police .A person in Luton was caught with 45,000 images of children on his computer and laptop ,he also worked in a school .He was found guilty and sentenced suspended for 2 years and put on the sex offenders register for 5 years = let off , the law needs changing , the old boys memory is probably not as good as was 10 years ago and all he was worried about was his wife and cat .he did wrong so take the gun of him ,there was no mention of feral kids on the news it said that he used the gun for shooting vermin on a bit of land he owned ,Maybe Judges should retire at 65 like the rest of us

If it had been discharged and hurt a member of your family would you feel the same? ? ? I don't think so? ? ?

If he was not aware of what he was doing? ? ? as being unlawful, should he have been allowed/in possession of said gun? ? ?

It's the over dramatic, and entirely unnecessary, 'if' that people use that winds me up. I have a screwdriver on my desk. 'If' I drive it through your skull then I deserve what I get. I haven't done that but i 'might'. Should I be prosecuted? Common sense is a dying art.

I agree with your second statement and that really is where the original case should have ended. Remove the gun and his licence, quick telling off and no harm done. I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

More humble interpretation here?

All about personal responsibility chaps?

Some are/not?

duncan

The same goes for Judges, some should never sit?

Marki

Sadly common sense is not the same as the law?

Supposedly for the observance of fools and the guidance of wise men?

Perhaps an unfortunate choice of words on your part in the first sentence but I understand what you meant?

Best not get wound up eh?