9mm garden guns

Pyropredator

Anyone have any experiences to share of 9mm garden guns? For some reason I keep getting very tempted to get one.

I have a barn permission with horses in that's full of rats. Anyone ever used one with a mod?

I know a good 22 springer would probably do the job just as well and with cheaper ammo, but the temptation is still there!

Thoughts anyone?

We had a friends fun clay shoot at the wekend and the host got his 9mm bolt action out and was knocking dow the odd driven bird clay with it. He was using #7 shot. he has a small lake and put a few shots down on it. the shot took about two seconds to impactand if there had been about thirty duck on the water it would have been a sort of pack shot effect. great for a laugh. I remember years ago a mate took the shot out and fitted a large shot into the case either SG or SSg maybe. he fired it at a thick solid oak door on an old barn and it went clean through.

Used to use a 3 shot semi 9mm for Rats but the little shells are usually full of 8 shot or smaller-we used to tip out the shot and refill then with 5 shot before wiping a smear of silicone sealant across the top to reseal them-much more effective but someone will no doubt be along to let you know how dangerous we were being. We managed to tape a Laser pen along the action so you could shoot from the hip-great laugh.

We had a friends fun clay shoot at the wekend and the host got his 9mm bolt action out and was knocking dow the odd driven bird clay with it. He was using #7 shot. he has a small lake and put a few shots down on it. the shot took about two seconds to impactand if there had been about thirty duck on the water it would have been a sort of pack shot effect. great for a laugh. I remember years ago a mate took the shot out and fitted a large shot into the case either SG or SSg maybe. he fired it at a thick solid oak door on an old barn and it went clean through.

When I was a youngster I used to replace the shot with those torpedo shaped ledger weights. As you say, devestating through old doors, but useless otherwise.

ive used both the 9mm and a smoothbore .22rf on the rats and I found the .22rf to work better and the birdshot shells are cheaper for the .22 I must admit the range is poor and the knock down power no better than that of a 12ftlb air rifle all though on running rats it is good fun I found that a multi shot is needed for this I used a Winchester speedmaster pump action .22rf with dust shot they have a flip up rear sight so can fold down and use with dust shot then when out in the field flip up the sight pop in a hollow point and take bunnies at 50yards all day perfect all rounder

for the 9mm ive only seen the fiocchi and rws both are no10 shot I think I found the 9mm to be noisy and a bit smoky when cold just an observation but if you have livestock around can cause disturbance that's why I went over to the .22rf for the barn work plus the pump action was a lot of fun

for the 9mm ive only seen the fiocchi and rws both are no10 shot I think I found the 9mm to be noisy and a bit smoky when cold just an observation but if you have livestock around can cause disturbance that's why I went over to the .22rf for the barn work plus the pump action was a lot of fun

Surely the problem is getting a pump that complies with section 2 resections? Do you know of any brands I could look out for? I'm very tempted to put a hushpower moderator on any 9mm I get for the noise.

There are plenty of .22 shotguns or smoothbore as known on shotgun licence but most of them are single shot bolt action the pump action i spoke about was a firearm. The .410 will do a beter job but i find if shooting in barns you get alot of shot rebounding at you so is unsafe

On my first ever shoot day I downed a hare at 10-15 yards , it was stone dead by the way. Like the hen pheasant which was a few yards above me while beating through willow herb I would consider both shots as pure flukes. Luck nothing else, 9mm had certainly no effect on pigeons coming to roost on low firs. Would not recomend them for anything serious but I certainly thinned the sparrows out while they were stealing the hen food from the trough.

Blackpowder

9mm isn't exactly a 20mm canon but I wouldn't bare my rear to it 30>40 yards downrange. I don't know what brand of cartridge we were using but they were #7 shot and were taking STD driven clays OK. The host rang me and said that he had found One unfired 9mm case in the wheelbarrow full of shotgun cases that were picked up and that he had removed the shot and fitted a 308 tip into the case to play with. He had made sure that it went down the barrel first. Apparently it had gone through a thick sheet of steel sideways from about 20 paces. Don't try this one out at home folks. It is the kind gun that is a bit of fun but not much use to use shooting at live things.

Ask Wabbitbosher to keep an eye out for one-I believe the last 3 shot semi he sold went for £12 at auction-as for not killing Rats-if you change the shot to no6-only takes a few seconds-they will kill at 20 yards all day-I used to shoot over a hundred Rats with one some nights. BTW-As far as I recall they were never designed as "boys" guns-they were intended for shooting small birds/game without too much damage for the Taxidermy/Museum market.

Edited by bruno22rf

You need some of these

Would need a variation to my FAC to own those little gems! I saw some in a french gun shop for around 7 .I wonder how good they are . Ieant too shoot with a 9mm so Im a bit of a fan ,back in the day when I was around 7-10 I went everywhere with my garden gun pitted to hell but we didn't care much about the barrels then .i now own a Flobart with stunning walnut & a mint bore , 20-25yds idea around building , greenhouses etc..

I would be intrested in a 9mm semi auto I've been looking for one for ages & it so happens I have a slot on my ticket ready & waiting ..

post-75502-0-84966200-1439998826_thumb.jpg

Edited by GOMX

Oooh GOMX that's a beaut.

Back in the day I had a BA which I'm afraid I butchered the stock on ( was only 15) and then a 5 shot mag fed one which kept pinging the cocking lever out over the floor somewhere........

Think I part ex'd it for a Remington Wingmaster?

The little solid slugs I have I can't comment on their effectiveness- picked them up at the local Decathalon sports shop out of curiosity and meant to get a 'Gaucher Phantom' silenced 9mm but the only shop here that listed them has said unavailable for months..