Advice on Reporting Fly Tippers

Keith RW

Good Morning All

Just had a load of household and car parts dumped on a game crop access and wondered if anyone has ever managed to bring a prosecution against fly tippers that have been identified from such contents.

I presume with it not being on council land the authorities would not be interested, is there another route other than by land owner and private prosecution?

post-10351-0-81157600-1441447806_thumb.jpg

Definitely report it to the council and the police. Even if its just to get it logged. Always report, always complain. You don't know there may be toxic stuff in there. Councils charging the public to use tip means there will be more of this. Its still an environmental heath issue even if its on private land.

Edited by Vince Green

Definitely report it to the council and the police. Even if its just to get it logged. Always report, always complain. You don't know there may be toxic stuff in there. Councils charging the public to use tip means there will be more of this. Its still an environmental heath issue even if its on private land.

Its also illegal private land or not, report it. Not had any experience of fly tippers but have seen a couple of documentaries where councils successfully took the tippers to court. They did have cctv evidence.

Edit = contact the environment department of your council, see what they say.

Edited by Sha Bu Le

Just reported to council via online facility who with a bit of luck will chase up under relevant environmental act, with vehicle being on SORN it still belongs to someone .... who as far as I am concerned is the registered keeper and therefor responsible, If vehicle has been sold on then then both previous and present keeper are out of order as having not notified DVLA of change of ownership or of it being scapped off, hopefully council will work with law enforcement and prosecute from that direction also .....

my bit done.....

since when did the council charge people for using the tip, or recycling centres as i think they are now known.

When our caravan dwelling travelling chums knock on your door and offer to take away any rubbish you might have,they are doing it for profit so is classed as commercial waste and they have to pay to get rid of it. The photo however demonstates what really happens...

People are lazy and cant be bothered to drive to the tip or go too late. My local tip closes at 4.00pm in winter and is common to see flytipping on the road leading upto it because some have gotten there too late and dont want to drive home again fully loaded.

Our local tip wants to charge me everytime I go in there even though its clearly only my garden waste and its only going on the composting heap. The reason is because I use my van, even though its clearly not trade waste they want to charge me £20 to come in. What do I do? Im not putting all those branches in my car. I know! next time I will fly tip it, that will save me £20. Problem solved (for me)

My mum works as a volunteer in a charity shop. They regularly come in of a morning to find their bin out the back filled with somebody else's rubbish. And they get charged to have their bins emptied by the council.

The person to whom the waste belonged will get nicked if they can't identify the fly tipper

That's not quite how it works. The tipper has to be caught in the act for a prosecution,by camera or statement giving witness. The owner of the rubbish simply has to say that they paid someone to legally tip it for them.

That's not quite how it works. The tipper has to be caught in the act for a prosecution,by camera or statement giving witness. The owner of the rubbish simply has to say that they paid someone to legally tip it for them.

Not round here, if you can't produce a receipt from a licensed waste carrier you're done.

Not round here, if you can't produce a receipt from a licensed waste carrier you're done.

Yup. Any waste is still your responsibility unless you can produce a 'waste transfer note' stating the name of the person/firm you paid to dispose of it, their waste carriers licence number, details of what type of waste it was, and where it was being taken for disposal. A scribbled recipient on a bit of letterhead won't cut it.... Something to remember when hiring skips!

Yup. Any waste is still your responsibility unless you can produce a 'waste transfer note' stating the name of the person/firm you paid to dispose of it, their waste carriers licence number, details of what type of waste it was, and where it was being taken for disposal. A scribbled recipient on a bit of letterhead won't cut it.... Something to remember when hiring skips!

Good knowledge. Audit-trail-tacular.

LS

One access to one of my permissions was recently obstructed by fly tipping. Knowing the unhelpful in-action he would get from the local Council my permission neatly relocated it, without causing any obstruction, adjacent to the minor road which led to his lane. He then informed the Council of fly tipping. Unethical? Most probably. But until the well paid, pension protected, town hall jobsworths change their attitude to those who are adversely affected by fly tipping then similar reactions are likely to continue around the country.

One factor leading to an increase in fly tipping is as result of EU directives on waste disposal. Councils are restricted under threat of legal action in the volume of waste they can dispose of in landfill. To limit the amount of waste that goes into landfill they have put up prices for trade waste. Unscrupulous people (no names, no pack drill) get shot of their waste in this manner to avoid the charges. I am no fan of landfill, but this doesn't seem to have been thought through too well.