Ugly accents

amateur

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

about 20yrs or so ago , i took my last dog for an operation at the vets school at cambridge university , one of the young trainee vets spoke with such a posh accent that i couldnt understand a single word that he said lol , im guessing that i sounded like some kind of retarded village idiot to him lol.

about 20yrs or so ago , i took my last dog for an operation at the vets school at cambridge university , one of the young trainee vets spoke with such a posh accent that i couldnt understand a single word that he said lol , im guessing that i sounded like some kind of retarded village idiot to him lol.

I'm saying nothing :whistling:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyone who does not pronounce the letter ... "T" ... Waer instead of water... daugher instead of daughter I think that they are a load of ... WAS. ( Think about it ).

Agree, It's lazy speaking. I constantly pull my daughter up about it and get called a snob. Nothing to do with accents.

Oh, yes, Australian, especially with that hideous rising inflection that seems to have made its way over here.

+1 Seems to be part of life for those under 40!

Anyone who does not pronounce the letter ... "T" ... Waer instead of water... daugher instead of daughter I think that they are a load of ... WAS. ( Think about it ).

Also now called " estuary english"

MPs of all partyies switch it on and off to suit but Blair was the worst.

surely as Birmingham is the centre of England then it must be an amalgamation of all accents and is the one true and sweet English accent that one and all should aspire too

The centre of England by what measure?? You'd have to include the English channel for it to be equidistant to the Scottish border, even if you used the lower Cumbria side! Brum is South.

Durham without a doubt . Especially when used by councillors and those using "official speak"

What is most surprising is that a lot of people don't realise that they have a accent and do not take into account that people from outside their area can not understand them .

How rude! :lol: The Durham accent has been consistently tested as THE most trustworthy accent in the UK, soft Geordie as it were. Or do you mean Durham City centre accents "raa-raa darling!"

Sunderland

Mackem is pretty grating (and i'm married to one) but there are far worse to my ear with nasal Scouse topping the charts

The centre of England by what measure?? You'd have to include the English channel for it to be equidistant to the Scottish border, even if you used the lower Cumbria side! Brum is South.

How rude! :lol: The Durham accent has been consistently tested as THE most trustworthy accent in the UK, soft Geordie as it were. Or do you mean Durham City centre accents "raa-raa darling!"

Mackem is pretty grating (and i'm married to one) but there are far worse to my ear with nasal Scouse topping the charts

Yorkshire ?? :unhappy:

well being a brummie living in liverpool neither the scouse or brummie ( or black country as everyone thinks that is brummie) are going to be on my list

annoying ones tho are essex, cockney and as a few have said "gangsta" cockney

oh and the ones that try to speak like they've just come from Jamaica even tho they are 5th generation English

Edited by sidawson

Must be pretty close , :good:

Traditional centre of England

Traditionally Meriden has been regarded as the centre of England.

annoying ones tho are essex, cockney and as a few have said "gangsta" cockney

Essex doesn't really have an accent.

What you hear spoken in the south of the county is very different to that of the north.

Unfortunately the old Essex accent has been bastardised by the influx of Londoners to the county since the end of WW2. The esturine English heard on the likes of Tv programmes like TOWIE is far removed from the more genteel and rural accents heard around the Essex/Suffolk border area.

Obviously being from the north of the county I'm far more genteel and erudite than the chavvy ***** daaarn the saaarf of the caaarnty innit.

Essex doesn't really have an accent.

What you hear spoken in the south of the county is very different to that of the north.

Unfortunately the old Essex accent has been bastardised by the influx of Londoners to the county since the end of WW2. The esturine English heard on the likes of Tv programmes like TOWIE is far removed from the more genteel and rural accents heard around the Essex/Suffolk border area.

Obviously being from the north of the county I'm far more genteel and erudite than the chavvy ***** daaarn the saaarf of the caaarnty innit.

no wat you mean, , my family is originally from Tiptree and my nearest relative to you lives near Birch, He and my old relatives had/have a rich accent almost Suffolk, I of course sound like someone from old BBC documentaries ;)

I'm in the Brummie camp on this one. Sorry guys, but it's just so bloody depressing. Scousers come in a very close second though with that nouveau faux London thing that they speak in the Capital. Is that what they call estuary English? Apparently not. Just watched the first 30 seconds of some bird on a youtube video. A poll would have been a good idea on this.

Edited by Doc Holliday

It's funny, I started the topic by panning the white Southern African accent and although there have been some anti-American and Australian votes, the thread has turned into a UK regional accent slagging match.

Nobody's mentioned "public school" either

I'm in the Brummie camp on this one. Sorry guys, but it's just so bloody depressing. Scousers come in a very close second though with that nouveau faux London thing that they speak in the Capital. Is that what they call estuary English? Apparently not. Just watched the first 30 seconds of some bird on a youtube video. A poll would have been a good idea on this.

I agree

Atb

Flynny