Commuting via moped?

sandspider

Hi all.

Thinking about moving house, further out of Bristol where I work, and Looking for a minimum effort way to commute in. Was toying with the idea of a moped. I can ride a 49cc moped with just my car driving licence (I think) and that would be simple and cheap. However, I'm guessing 49cc means a maximum of about 30 miles an hour. And I'd probably have about 20 miles to go. Most of this would be on slow trafficy roads, but there would be a few bit of A road. Is a 49cc moped just too pathetic to commute so far? Would I be better off doing my CBT and getting a 125? Not really concerned about style, just mobility!

Cheers.

Thanks chaps.

Feared a 49cc might not be man enough. I do have a car, but parking in Bristol is expensive or / and impossible. (I can park a bike outside my work for free). There's park and ride, but it's a bit of a ball ache.

So, perhaps a 125 then. I rode a bike in Thailand with foot shift gears, it would do about 80kph without trouble - I guess it was a 125. That would probably be enough. Think it might have been a Honda dream... So a CBT would be enough for that, but only last 3 years? Then I can do the CBT again, or pay a bit more and do direct access, then ride something bigger? Not that I especially want to. I like to have 4 wheels on the road rather than 2 if I'm in a hurry...

Better off doing the CBT, but remember they only last for three years!

Mind you if you do learn to ride you will be amazed at how much cheaper a small (sub 250cc) bike is to run than a car!

Dont even consider a 49cc do your cbt and get a 125 at least!! and buy either a used honda cg125 or yamaha ybr125, youll get your money back when you sell it, if you dont like it, or if you love it and trade up. CBT must be renewed every 2 years, do it soon before it gets more complicated and expensive towards the end of the year.

Guest rimotu66

I agree, do not consider it on a ped, if you must use a two wheeler for commuting then a 125cc is the minimum I would consider, why not go the direct access route and take your m'bike test?

Maybe you would be better suited to a automatic, Suzuki do a 400cc (I think they do a 125cc as well) Burgman http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-AN-400-Burgman-automatic-400cc-scooter-12-months-mot-/191708740548?hash=item2ca2bb3bc4:g:HGkAAOSw9r1WEngZ

Something else to consider though is British weather, its not much fun arriving at work wet through and unable to feel your hands/feet, also its no fun at all riding in heavy traffic in the dark when its raining with car headlights blinding you.

Dont even consider a 49cc do your cbt and get a 125 at least!! and buy either a used honda cg125 or yamaha ybr125, youll get your money back when you sell it, if you dont like it, or if you love it and trade up. CBT must be renewed every 2 years, do it soon before it gets more complicated and expensive towards the end of the year.

just out of interest, what changes are coming in?

just out of interest, what changes are coming in?

DVSA have been running consultations this year, and it looks like small changes from December this year, leading to ongoing meddling next year. I'm not up on the facts now. I sold my bike school at the beginning of August.

http://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2012/2015/july/government-to-roll-out-cbt-changes-from-december/#.ViItc-xViko

Thanks all, things to think about.

I currently mainly commute (a shorter distance) by pedal bike. And it's OK - not great, but worth the time and money saving and not getting stuck in traffic. In theory, a 125 or similar would let me do the same, for a longer distance, without being so tiring, and would be cheaper than a car - cheaper than my car anyway! But still not much fun in the wet and the cold. Hmm.

Cold, wet weather? Just a matter of getting a decent all-in-one riding suit, waterproof boots and thermals.

In the days when I commuted all year round, I would leave my suit and a week's worth of clean shirts in the office and change out of my riding kit.

I used a variety of bikes, from a 98cc Triumph Tina (not recommended) to my Rickman 750 - but the best were a Honda cb125s, MZ ES250 and Kawasaki 550GT.

I found that the concentration required to deal with London traffic completely cleared the mind of any work problems, whereas when commuting by train I would still be mulling things over.

Did the knowledge on 3 bikes; a Honda cub 90, which for a man of my stature (like eating, like lifting weights), was entertaining - friend of mine suggested elephant riding mouse was an appropriate image. Older engine, heavy chap, somewhat scary on faster roads.

Honda innova 125, basically an enlarged c90, ideal for commuting, semiauto box, extra gear, but Honda farmed out their good design to a Malaysian contractor who used substandard parts - a good turn on the sump plug stripped the threads, the screws and bolts would come apart, and the big end went at 20k - ALL the innovas big ends went at 20k. Avoid.

Next was the Dylan, also by Honda, excellent bit of kit, auto box - twist and go, top end with me on it of 65, probably do 70-80 with a normal human on board, used about a fiver a day riding all across London for 6 hrs plus 2 20 mile trips to and from Essex, comfortable, decent storage under seat, well worth the money.

As others have said, under 125 and you're asking for trouble, but decent bike, weatherproof suit, GOOD HELMET, fluorescent jacket, and ride like they're all out to get you (they are), and you'll have an extra hour or two indoors per day.

I rode a 50cc moped in all conditions and loved it.

Not once did I feel unsafe

I would never attempt a dual carriageway on it, but 60mph country lanes and the like were fine.

Position yourself correctly and other road users won't be able to take the ****!

I actually preferred the commute on the scoot over my gixer cause it allowed me to sit back and enjoy the scenery/journey

I do a 50 mile commute daily 5 days a week 52 weeks a year minus holidays all year round.After more than 30 years and a million miles on a motorbike (15 years as a nationwide courier) my tips would be , get the best clothing you can afford with removable thermal lining, buy a set of quality single layer over waterproof jacket and trousers (small enough to roll up and leave in your top box ,to use when required) buy a pair of quality summer and winter gloves . Winter gloves being more important i prefer leather as they last longer and regularly re-waterporoof with some type of rain gaurd. Buy Daytona boots ,theses are as used by most police forces and IMHO are the best all year round totaly waterproof and warm they are also able to be re-soled.

As regards the bike i use a 18 year old BMW K1200RS with over 100,000 miles on it but it runs ,rides and stops as it should . During my courier days i have used most makes and models but definately consider a maxi scooter such as Piaggio x9, Suzuki Burgman, Aprilia Atlantic, Yamaha xmax,Hoda Silver Wing, etc. Maxi scooters are more than capable of carrying your equipment and accelaration braking and handling are fantastic most also have heated grips ABS linked brakes and larger 14 =15 inch wheels which is important for handling.I would also recomend a intercom system ,i use AUTOCOM plug in my Mp3 and listen to tunes it really does make a diffrence.

As regards running costs i average 45 MPG dont have to pay for the mersey tunnel saving me nearly £18 per week in tolls. My insurance due to my age and experiance is £68 per year fully comp,And my road tax is cheap, i do all my own servicing and repairs and more than half my commute doing it by car.

It sounds daunting at first but once you get experienced at commuting by bike and riding defensively at all times (trust no one) it really is the best way to commute flying past everyone else sitting stationary in there metal boxes i'm sure there nice places to be but i'll get to where i need to be first and with a smile on my face. Good luck with whatever you decide.