Diffierence between phosphor and payne galway brushes

Masterplan

All,

I've had some real issues trying to remove barrel fouling the last few times I've been out.

About 3-4 inches into the chambers and the fouling is very heavy and obvious the moment you hold the barells up to the light.

I've been using napier bore solvent with a payne galway brush, but it took me over an hour to clean both barrels. Even using a cordless drill took me forever.

Am I using the right tools for the job? Would a phosphor brush be better suited to heavy fouling? or any other tools/cleaners for that matter?

I'm still fairly new to shotgun ownership, so apologies if its a daft question.

Cheers

Masterplan

what and how many cartridges fired to cause this.

In 45+ years shooting, plastic and fibre wads, sometimes 250 shot days (son and i) I have never met such fouling.

I have always used a bronze brush and patches.

Never used anything mechanical or electrical to assist, always elbow grease.

Edited by B25Modelman

In 40+ years shooting using plastic and fibre wads, sometimes 250 shot days (son and i) I have never met such fouling.

I also struggle with fouling around the forcing cones. I think it may be an issue with back bored guns and the brush not "biting" hard enough.

Some people get far too hung up on the subject of fouling within the barrel.

Plastic will build up over time and should not present a problem as each subsequent round fired will remove a little and add a little.

20 odd years ago when shooting far more than I do these days, I used to soak my competition barrels in white spirit for a week.

That got it all out, but I only did it once a year at the end of the season.

wrap some '0000' grade steel wool around your brush head and give a liberal dose of solvent, it will take no more than a few minutes to remove the fouling then. works a treat and doesn't damaged the bores.

my MK38 gets really dirty and a normal copper/bronze brush wont touch it. I too have been told that this is due to the back bored barrels.

Also placed an order.

I'm out at the weekend for possibly the last time this season so it will be getting a good scrub down and put back in its case.

Will also try the wire wool as well :good:

Edited by Masterplan

Plastic fouling/leading in the barrel after the forcing cones is something I've not experienced to any extent in near 50 years of shotgun shooting.....until I started using a browning O/U a couple of years ago......back bored barrels being the cause of this has for me, the ring of truth about it!

In 45+ years shooting, plastic and fibre wads, sometimes 250 shot days (son and i) I have never met such fouling.

I have always used a bronze brush and patches.

Never used anything mechanical or electrical to assist, always elbow grease.

+1

My experience also. Turks heads are good, but very aggressive. Not sure where you can get them nowadays.

I used one of those Turks heads and it marked the barrel really bad be warned I would never never use one again.

They are very aggressive (I'm told). I have one that was my father's, and I have to say - I've never had to use it., but I'm told they will shift stubborn fouling. My guess is that the effectiveness and (potential) damage might depend on how hard the steel wire used is. I would use a lot of oil with it if I ever used it.

Edited by JohnfromUK

Dare I say try a turkshead wire brush?

I've got and used one and had no problems of marking the steel at all although I only use it once in a while. Have you heard or know of Ed's Red? If not type it into your browser.the ingredients are a mix of white spirit, tqf auto transmission oil, paraffin, acetone and lanolin. There are lots of variations to the mix. It is really cheap to make and effective. When I clean my barrels I first rod a couple of bits of toilet paper through to take away any loose unburnt powder and then use the Ed's Red on a phosphor bronze brush fairly vigorously. I then rod through with the toilet paper. The paper comes out black for several times. I then use the Red again and then the paper. I do this several times. Even if you look up a set of barrels that look clean it is amazing how much black junk comes out of them when you use Ed's Red.

I've got and used one and had no problems of marking the steel at all although I only use it once in a while. Have you heard or know of Ed's Red? If not type it into your browser.the ingredients are a mix of white spirit, tqf auto transmission oil, paraffin, acetone and lanolin. There are lots of variations to the mix. It is really cheap to make and effective. When I clean my barrels I first rod a couple of bits of toilet paper through to take away any loose unburnt powder and then use the Ed's Red on a phosphor bronze brush fairly vigorously. I then rod through with the toilet paper. The paper comes out black for several times. I then use the Red again and then the paper. I do this several times. Even if you look up a set of barrels that look clean it is amazing how much black junk comes out of them when you use Ed's Red.

I've just ordered some acetone from eBay to give this a try.

They are very aggressive (I'm told). I have one that was my father's, and I have to say - I've never had to use it., but I'm told they will shift stubborn fouling. My guess is that the effectiveness and (potential) damage might depend on how hard the steel wire used is. I would use a lot of oil with it if I ever used it.

I'm thinking that I have seen one made of hard plastic at some time in the past.