Subaru

Fuji Shooter

Looking to buy a all wheel drive just in case we get some bad weather as I want to take the Series off the road to start work on it.

What do people think about Subaru as i have my eye on wither a Forester or an Impreza wagon at the local Subaru dealers. Both are non turbo versions as I don't really need all that much poke out of it.

Great but very expensive on parts now a back box is over 300 a full system exhaust no cat about 1500

Have a 53 plate turbo here I have had from new and it's done 180 k in my hands awesome but although very little breaks new parts are silly money

The lpg burns the top of the engine and the diesel breaks cranks

The engine tends to use oil and needs checking regular especially if you give it some right foot

About 20 mpg from our turbo

Oh they east suspension bushes and tyres

Best estate ever built for road use in snow

I have a 54 plate forester 2.5 xt turbo, it's been excellent so far, it's deceptively quick on the road sub 7 seconds 0-60 I think.

As Kent says above if your heavy footed they do use up some oil and the fuel economy is poor but no worse than a large Japanese 4x4 and you still get to have some fun on the road.

I was tempted by a Forester but ended up getting an Impreza wagon as I don't need a great deal of ground clearance and I thought it handled a lot better.

There are some good deals to be had this week, I reckon I could have chipped them down a lot more.

Edited by Freakmode

I run a 2l N/A Forester and its been very good.

The worst part about the brand is the lack of dealers and the high cost of spares. My closest dealer is now 20 miles away which is annoying. Quite a few dealers seemed to have shut down.

I run mine on Shell V power nitro + and it transforms the way the engine performs. Loads more torque and more responsive.

Costs more / litre to run but to me the performance gains are worth it.

If you are thinking about a Subaru Forester diesel below a May 2010 be careful, I was lucky!

It's a long story but if you google " Subaru diesel boxter crankshaft problems " you will get the general picture.

I purchased a second hand top of the range Subaru Forester diesel with full service history showing 90k.

A few months later had a oil leak , it was the crankshaft oil seal , took it to the main dealer they took it to bits and confirmed

The crank problem, I felt sick the short engine was shot , so onto Subaru uk who kept very quiet and played their cards close

To their chests.

They took the service history of the car and hooked the car up to a computer to read all the engine data from the day it was sold.

Three days later phone call from the main dealer , new engine on its way from Subaru uk free of charge , top result or what !

I know this is fact some folk are not getting new engines for these models through after market fuel chips and poor service history.

My Subaru now has the new euro 5 engine with no crankshaft problems, so just take this into account, the car is the best thing I've

Owned they are fantastic all wheel drive models , but look for service history before you buy and save yourself a heartbreaker.

I didn't get the Subaru in the end as the dealer "forgot" to get it prepped on the day I was supposed to collect it. I was a bit miffed so got my deposit back. On the look out again for a new vehicle which I have better things to do with my time. May try another Subaru dealer but they are few and far between around here.

I didn't get the Subaru in the end as the dealer "forgot" to get it prepped on the day I was supposed to collect it. I was a bit miffed so got my deposit back. On the look out again for a new vehicle which I have better things to do with my time. May try another Subaru dealer but they are few and far between around here.

They are few and far between around ANYWHERE. Up here they are NON existant. 80 + mile round trip to the nearest dealers ?