My new gun.

JDog

For years I have scoffed at those shooters who cannot shoot with a 12 bore yet choose to go down in calibre to a 20 bore. Today I have done the same. Scoff no more.

On his recent post concerning childhood memories the Famous Ditchman told of how he first encountered the female form. It was a straightforward business transaction between him (aged 8) and a girl (aged 9). In attempting to do something similar, though not for the first time, I chased a young Lady all the way to Corfu where she was a Villa girl for the summer. This is the summer equivalent of a Chalet girl. The chase was successful. However returning to my own abode late one evening I fell off my two wheeled motorised transport and broke both of my wrists. Whether this accident was due to the sheer power of the vehicle (49cc) or alcohol I couldn't possibly say.

You may think that my mind is wandering back to those halcyon days and I suppose I am but to get to the rather laboured point my wrists are becoming arthritic and handling my 12 bores is not always easy so I decided yesterday to go for a 20 bore and that is what I have bought today.

The gun is a Winchester Model 101 with 28'' barrels. It is thirty years old and it is in very good condition. The action is almost as tight as if it was new and I am delighted with my find.

Like a child on Xmas morning wanting to get out and try his new bicycle I couldn't wait to get out and after giving the thing a thorough cleaning I went to a roosting wood and fired 25 shots at incoming pigeons with pleasing results. However I do feel that the pigeons in Lincolnshire and the pheasants in Gloucestershire on the 6th January should still feel pretty safe.

DSC06893.jpg

A very nice gun JD, looks in excellent nick.

I had the pleasure of the famous Ditchman's company today for a couple of hours, collecting a refurbished Atco mower. Boy has he made it good, run's like a new 'un now.

We also had a trade with pigeon decoying equipment. Manual and mechanical. Pull the string and the birds wings flap, controllably. Brilliant bit of kit.

He also spins a very good yarn. :yes::good:

Fabulous choice in my opinion. Lovely gun, and in pristine condition. I am an avid 101 fan, have owned many and still own two, one of which is the 12 bore version of the gun you have just bought, which was like yours, a sleeper, when I found it.

They handle and swing like a dream and I would be very surprised if, given time, you don't grow to feel it is an extension of yourself when in the field. Enjoy.