chokes for pheasant shooting, bit confused any help please?

jamie101

Hi lads.

Been on a few pheasant shoots this season but previous to this ive only been on clays.

For some reason i tend to miss the game what i would consider an easy shot if it was a clay?

Im useing 32g no5 three crowns cartridges and i have improved cylinder choke and cylinder choke fitted, exactally what i use for clays and my gun is a winchester select sporter with 30 inch barrels over under.

I consider myself a very good shot with clays but cant seem to get the hits i want when shooting game!

When a bird comes my way im positive ill hit it but then when i shoot the bird just lafs at me and flags me off as it flys away!!!!! Lol

I dunno if giving them too much leed or what? Or is it just a thing you get better at the more you get used to it? Thanks in advance lads. J

If you are missing them with open chokes its not going to help going tighter , unless the ones you have been shooting at have been a long way out / up

I would say you are not reading the birds correctly tehy are not as predictable as clays.

Correct.

Don't over complicate matters by worrying about chokes. I have been shooting for almost fifty years now and I have only just worked out what chokes are all about.

Unless you are shooting birds more than 50m up what you have will be sufficient.

Correct.

Don't over complicate matters by worrying about chokes. I have been shooting for almost fifty years now and I have only just worked out what chokes are all about.

Unless you are shooting birds more than 50m up what you have will be sufficient.

+1.

1.read the line watch the head......why do you presume you are missing in front?remember all clays except droppers are decelerating...pheasants rarely are......they are faster than they look,especially gliders...which are often at max speed hence not bothering to flap their wings.....obviously impossible to know,but my guess would be bit behind and bit under.....shoot the top hat give it a bit more....cartridge/choke perfectly suitable

Correct.

This for me.

The only change I would make is to swap to No 6 shot.

I doubt very much you are missing in front.i know of some international clay shots who absolutely **** game shots or,average at best.

I've shot most things but for me a high driven pheasant presents the most difficult target of them all.

Stick at it pal,it will all come together with practice.

I also doubt your missing in front, they fly a lot faster than you think... I use a fixed choke Winchester 101 at 1/4 and 3/4.. when I miss it's usually always just behind the bird just remember to swing through...... Well that's what I was told by an expert game shot...

Tedly

Can't help but I doubt the choke is the issue, clays slow as fly, birds don't necessarily, also pheasants are quite big compared to a clay so perhaps their size makes you think they are closer and not enough lead.

If you are missing them with open chokes its not going to help going tighter , unless the ones you have been shooting at have been a long way out / up

I would say you are not reading the birds correctly tehy are not as predictable as clays.

What they said.

I'm the same - okay on clays but currently rubbish on anything with wings.

Pheasants look fat and slow - particularly if gliding - they are still quite a long way away and probably still moving faster than your average clay = more lead

Most clays are under power from the trap in the first 2-3 seconds and can quickly slow down. When clay shooting you tend to plan ahead a bit, pick your kill zone, wait for the clay to slow down and then nail it. We rarely shoot them at `full speed` just as they leave the trap.

I got my mate to watch me pigeon shooting and I simply wasn't adding enough lead. Had to really force myself to push the gun further on.

If you can get someone to look over your should they should be able to tell you if you're in front/behind. I suspect it's the latter.

Keep at it - no such thing as an easy target! Keep adding more lead and see what happens. Choke selection is irrelevant at this point.

I doubt very much you are missing in front.i know of some international clay shots who absolutely **** game shots or,average at best.

I've shot most things but for me a high driven pheasant presents the most difficult target of them all.

Stick at it pal,it will all come together with practice.

I've had similar experiences although I haven't shot with clays shots in that league. Speaking to them a number I wonder if they have a window of lead their happy with and apply that to pretty much everything, once the birds are much higher/further out or faster they start to struggle and won't change their shooting to suit the circumstances. A number of them will say something along the lines of I scored X at the clay club last Saturday and I cant hit these pheasants for toffee.

I've rarely seen people that are good at both, I'm the other way around, the majority of my shooting has always been at live quarry, when I shoot clays my scores are never as good as the clay guys, I don't think I concentrate as much for clays as when its live.

I've been shooting driven pheasant for a long time and find shots are missed behind and rarely in front, And due to advancing years I don't shoot as well as I used too, and have found I have had to increase my lead - no doubt because I have got slower as I got older.

Personally I like open chokings for pheasant shooting - 1/4 & 1/4 and altering to 1/4 & 1/2 as the season ends and the birds fly higher. My favourite cartridge load is 30 gram No 6.

What they said.

I'm the same - okay on clays but currently rubbish on anything with wings.

Pheasants look fat and slow - particularly if gliding - they are still quite a long way away and probably still moving faster than your average clay = more lead

Most clays are under power from the trap in the first 2-3 seconds and can quickly slow down. When clay shooting you tend to plan ahead a bit, pick your kill zone, wait for the clay to slow down and then nail it. We rarely shoot them at `full speed` just as they leave the trap.

I got my mate to watch me pigeon shooting and I simply wasn't adding enough lead. Had to really force myself to push the gun further on.

If you can get someone to look over your should they should be able to tell you if you're in front/behind. I suspect it's the latter.

Keep at it - no such thing as an easy target! Keep adding more lead and see what happens. Choke selection is irrelevant at this point.

yeah. I watched a good shot and asked him how much lead he was giving them and I was advised to give em a good five bar gate. Also to lead the head and not the body.

How high are the pheasants - measure it in oak trees? If you are on flat land and they come out of the wood just above the trees they are not far away if they are coming straight over you. They may be all you have to shoot at as pheasants are lazy birds and it is difficult to make them fly high unless you have the right terrain. An oak tree is about 60ft - 80ft (20 yards - 25 yards) so they are as close as skeet targets - if the birds are like this you may well be in front - don't believe people when they say you can't be in front. Now if they are 3 or 4 trees high they will be 60 to 80 yards up and that is a completely different matter. Don't worry about the chokes too much unless they are above 3 oak trees high - worry more about getting the shot in the right place.

John

yeah. I watched a good shot and asked him how much lead he was giving them and I was advised to give em a good five bar gate. Also to lead the head and not the body.

I've heard the five bar gate one many times.

I find it very difficult to explain lead to someone.I have often been asked "Bloody hell how far were you in front of that one,how much lead you give it ?"...The answer is always the same - I'm sorry I cant give you that answer because I don't know.I don't think about it and the minute I do start thinking about it I miss.It's a natural thing.

I'm sure some of you guys know where I'm coming from ?,or is it just me again :rolleyes:

I've had similar experiences although I haven't shot with clays shots in that league. Speaking to them a number I wonder if they have a window of lead their happy with and apply that to pretty much everything, once the birds are much higher/further out or faster they start to struggle and won't change their shooting to suit the circumstances. A number of them will say something along the lines of I scored X at the clay club last Saturday and I cant hit these pheasants for toffee.

I've rarely seen people that are good at both, I'm the other way around, the majority of my shooting has always been at live quarry, when I shoot clays my scores are never as good as the clay guys, I don't think I concentrate as much for clays as when its live.

I've found the opposite. Most good clay shots i have known/seen, have all been good on live stuff.

As far as I know I don't know anyone who shoots clays. My buddies prefer to be under a hedge somewhere shooting pigeons.

Sorry to repeat myself but I am the most useless clay shot ever. The last time I attempted it my score was 0/50. To me clays are un interesting unlike the real thing.

I've heard the five bar gate one many times.

I find it very difficult to explain lead to someone.I have often been asked "Bloody hell how far were you in front of that one,how much lead you give it ?"...The answer is always the same - I'm sorry I cant give you that answer because I don't know.I don't think about it and the minute I do start thinking about it I miss.It's a natural thing.

I'm sure some of you guys know where I'm coming from ?,or is it just me again :rolleyes:

You're dead right. I know I said about the five bar gate but in reality I don't see the gun at all. I focus on the head, Mount the gun in a smooth steady action, go through the target and bang in one movement. If you get set up right there isn't a lot of movement involved. Now speed can be deceptive and leave you behind. If you've ever had swans coming down the river, you see them coming in a lazy flight motion and inevitably you raise your arms to take the imaginary shot and there coming and then gone. leaving you thinking if that was a real shot at geese coming down the river then I would have been nowhere near and missed more than a yard or two behind. pheasants on the glide are like this. I remember years ago a cock pheasant got up further up the wood and came back over the top on the glide. I swung through with the 25 and I was sure that I was on it but it kept on going. I watched it go and suddenly it fell 80 or more paces back. the dog and I went back and there it was stone dead. when it was plucked no pellet could be found on the body so it must have been unlucky and caught a stray one in the head. I was lucky the pheasant was unlucky, the dog was happy.