wedding etiquette

jonny thomas

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why many of you chaps are being so self-righteous about this. It is wholly up to the couple who they choose to invite.

If they want your other half and not you it's their prerogative. I certainly think that whatever you decide to do privately (for whatever reasons), you should be the bigger man and wish them all the best for the future.

LS

I don't know why many of you chaps are being so self-righteous about this. It is wholly up to the couple who they choose to invite.

If they want your other half and not you it's their prerogative. I certainly think that whatever you decide to do privately (for whatever reasons), you should be the bigger man and wish them all the best for the future.

LS

Clicky work do's aside and talking family, friendy, relationy wedlocks, would you go to a wedding that your wife wasn't invited to ?

LS

I agree, if the Mrs gets an invite and I don't it's no buggy. She doesn't come to my beating do's.

I think its more the question of why would your wife even consider accepting if you have been left out ? I can understand if it was one of her work friends who you had never met, but that doesn't seem to be the case here ?

I would be more annoyed with the wife than anyone else ?

It is incredibly bad manners to exclude one half of a social unit from a social event. Social unit means husband, wife or fiancée. I would extend that to people living as married, but I am terribly liberal. I have also got all versions if Debrett's guide to modern manners for reference if anyone would like further evidence.

If people invite work colleagues to a wedding, which is a social event, they are already mixing business and social. Partners are not invited because it is not a proper social invitation.

To invite a wife but not a husband to a social event (unless it is a single gender event like a bachelor party) is a huge faux pas, unless the husband is being given the cut direct by the inviting people. Then the wife, presuming she does not consider that her husband warrants the cut direct, should decline the invitation.

That would **** me off too, not so much the not being invited but the Mrs not being offended. Life's too short to get too wound up by it though, it would probably be a long boring day for you anyway.

If I were you I'd just wait for the day they ask for car help and take great pleasure telling them to **** right off! :lol:

Edited by MartynGT4

It is incredibly bad manners to exclude one half of a social unit from a social event. Social unit means husband, wife or fiancée. I would extend that to people living as married, but I am terribly liberal. I have also got all versions if Debrett's guide to modern manners for reference if anyone would like further evidence.

Nowhere in the aforementioned guide does it say that.

This is the closest reference that I can find.

"Friends who are not invited to weddings have to accept their exclusion gracefully. It is in the worst taste to request an invitation for a wedding. It is also ill-mannered to ask if you can bring a boy- or girlfriend (unless you are in a long-standing relationship with them) who is unknown to the bride’s mother and thus not included in her calculations."

I think its more the question of why would your wife even consider accepting if you have been left out ? I can understand if it was one of her work friends who you had never met, but that doesn't seem to be the case here ?

I would be more annoyed with the wife than anyone else ?

+1 I would be asking my wife what size shoe fits her ****

edit .as it was censored i will use another Scots word BAHOOKIE

Edited by AULD YIN

Personally I would be happy not to have to dress up, fork out etc but that is just me. I do think as they seem to know you (fixing car etc) that they have made a faux pas in this instance. Would have been better to perhaps invite you to watch them get married and maybe to the after food part if they were having one. Anyhow count yourself lucky and go out shooting. As for forbidding your wife (not you personally) but has been mentioned in this thread - Id like to see a man try that in 2016 without losing a few bits.

Nowhere in the aforementioned guide does it say that.

This is the closest reference that I can find.

"Friends who are not invited to weddings have to accept their exclusion gracefully. It is in the worst taste to request an invitation for a wedding. It is also ill-mannered to ask if you can bring a boy- or girlfriend (unless you are in a long-standing relationship with them) who is unknown to the brides mother and thus not included in her calculations."

Ooh, do you have a copy? Which edition?

gotta be honest, it wouldn't bother me unless it was a close friend or someone I had spent a fair bit of time with.

that being said, I can understand why you would be slightly frustrated. especially as you have previously worked on their car.

as others have said, let the wife go and get out shooting. I'm sure you would have more fun doing that anyway... :good:

Why celebrate someone else's marriage if they fail to recognise your own.

Spot on!!

I think it's acceptable if it is a work colleague (not if your work colleague invites your wife only :lol: ), outside of that it's a bit rude me thinks.....

"Friends who are not invited to weddings have to accept their exclusion gracefully. It is in the worst taste to request an invitation for a wedding. It is also ill-mannered to ask if you can bring a boy- or girlfriend (unless you are in a long-standing relationship with them) who is unknown to the bride’s mother and thus not included in her calculations."

I would think that 23 years of marriage would count as a long standing relationship!