Abandoned boat?

Ricko

Has anyone on here ever had dealings with Canal and River Trust regarding abandoned boats?

There's a vandalised cruiser near me that's getting lower in the water, I'd quite like to get my hands on it as a project.

I believe there should be a licence displayed on it with an ID number, should be able to trace owner through that maybe ??

BUT, as in post above, financing a boat rebuild will make your eyes water more than the river it's sat in

I owned a dive RIB for many years. Based on that experience I can assure you that there will be only two occasions when you will you will feel really happy about your boat. The first time is when you buy it. The second time is when you sell it!!

In between it's a big hole into which you will pour money having a great time!!

I have a small RIB, bought for use on Windermere. Have used it 4 times in two years....

Boating of any sort is a full time or retired Job.

I also brought a Wayfarer dinghy down closer to me, ( 15 mins away) thinking i would use it more. Sailed it twice in 2 years.

Has anyone on here ever had dealings with Canal and River Trust regarding abandoned boats?

There's a vandalised cruiser near me that's getting lower in the water, I'd quite like to get my hands on it as a project.

As other people have said, a boat is a very expensive hobby. I had a Dawncraft cruiser on a canal for several years, and you never get your money back when it comes to selling it.

If you really want a project, buy a 10,000 piece jigsaw puzzle! ;)

hello, you could ask the local lock keeper if there is one still working or check out what Rodp mentioned

If it is a GRP boat and it is semi submerged stay well away from it...............fibreglass is not waterproof...and when yo rescue it....it might "blow"...what makes GRP waterproof is the 1mm gellcoat on the outside and on the inside the gellcoat is mixed with resin to make it waterproof....if these coats sratch moisture will seep into the fibreglass/resin matrix and will "sort of rot it"..........

.....read all the previous post again and again and again....................................... :good:

sorry not very helpful..................if you are really set on boat ownership go for a classic 60's/70's aluminium speedboat...they are a mix of aluminm and wood...something that is 4 seater dayboat that looks the buis' but you can trailer and take home...

Edited by ditchman