ticket for wrongly spaced reg plate

eddoakley

It might be complicated for the odd person, but it is illegal. That is the problem.

On of the main reasons is to aid detection of an offence, not to make money out of mugs. That said, there seems to be no mug shortage.

What the speed of cars has to do with this is anyone's guess.

Theres nothing at all complicated about it, its easy, do something illegal and face the consequences, I just can't see why it should be an offence but thats my opinion the same as you have yours, the speeding was an instance of how easy it is to break the law.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is easy to break the law. It's just that some who merrily break the law claim they aren't doing anything wrong and cry like a baby when they are caught.

Yes but a lot of people think they are just bending it a bit. That makes it all the more satisfying when they get caught out :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you noticed all the 4x4s with bullbars again? Same thing

I would see a silver golf every morning passing me going the other way on the way to work and this golf is about an 06 reg and the bloke driving it has the old style black and silver number plates on it and I have seen it almost everyday for the last two years. I saw it this week and he must have been done because he has decided to fit 2 standard rear yellow number plates to his car ie one on the front as we'll so If you ask me people like him are just taking the **** and deserve to get done.

He could have a car from Guernsey.

Theres nothing at all complicated about it, its easy, do something illegal and face the consequences, I just can't see why it should be an offence but thats my opinion the same as you have yours, the speeding was an instance of how easy it is to break the law.

speeding could have been a lapse in concentration but fiddling with number plates is a different story :hmm:

andrewluke - exactly.

Twistedsanity - the OP could well follow your advice. Whilst he could argue the toss about where he was at the time of the offence - if it wasn't at the station, it was when he drove there or drove home. At the moment, he is facing a relatively minor penalty, but he could swiftly upgrade that to perverting the course of justice. That is just lunacy - making a bad situation infinitely worse.

andrewluke - exactly.

Twistedsanity - the OP could well follow your advice. Whilst he could argue the toss about where he was at the time of the offence - if it wasn't at the station, it was when he drove there or drove home. At the moment, he is facing a relatively minor penalty, but he could swiftly upgrade that to perverting the course of justice. That is just lunacy - making a bad situation infinitely worse.

We will have to disagree I suppose but as I mentioned before I can not be issued a ticket/fine for what may or may not have happened earlier or later!

The copper cannot simply assume that I committed an offence at some point during the day and book me for that.

The ticket is for the time of the alleged offence as stated on it.

Edd

We will have to disagree I suppose but as I mentioned before I can not be issued a ticket/fine for what may or may not have happened earlier or later!

The copper cannot simply assume that I committed an offence at some point during the day and book me for that.

The ticket is for the time of the alleged offence as stated on it.

Edd

well! what you waiting for?,start the appeal process!

cant understand why you needed to ask on here if you know you are in the right and the copper was wrong!! :hmm:

The service station being private property or not is irrelevant. The M6 toll road is private property, but commit motoring offences on it and you will get done.

As one law website points out, 'private property' is defined as land 'to which the general public does not have access'.

Want to challenge your ticket ? I suspect you will find the final bill considerably higher !

Edd - good luck. If you are correct, you have found a loophole. Have you changed that plate or any other? If the Police did lose this one on a technicality, I would imagine that you won't get away with it again.

I would genuinely be interested in the outcome. I presume you will not pay and have your day in Court. I hope it doesn't get any worse.

Edd - good luck. If you are correct, you have found a loophole. Have you changed that plate or any other? If the Police did lose this one on a technicality, I would imagine that you won't get away with it again.

I would genuinely be interested in the outcome. I presume you will not pay and have your day in Court. I hope it doesn't get any worse.

I have said several times that I will have to pay the fine. I have checked the wording of the offence and as others have also mentioned it is not confined to "public highway" and the fact that the car park is private property is irrelevant.

However that is not what I was disagreeing with you over.

You said basically that regardless of whether it was private I deserved the ticket as I must have broken the law either before of after the time of the ticket.... or words to that effect. Well that is irrelevant. I cannot be fined for something that might have happened whether it's a fair assumption or not it is still just that, an assumption.

I said early on in this thread that having checked the wording of the offence code that I would accept the fine as it does not say that the requirements to display the plate in a certain way are for when the vehicle is on the highway (as lots of vehicular requirements are worded) but also for in other situations such as the "private car park" or the m6 toll road as mentioned.

If the wording had been similar to other "offences" such as tax where the offence is along the lines of "keeping or using a vehicle on the public highway without a road fund license" then I would certainly have challenged it and if need be gone to court

But what you have said is that if my car was on my drive without tax I should still get booked because it can be assumed that I must have driven it there or would drive it from there without tax. That cannot happen as it's an assumption. Whether I did drive it or not is irrelevant (yes I know I have used that word several times already!) because there is no offence at the time of the ticket being issued.

Not sure if we are looking at the situation differently or whether you genuinely believe that the ticket is deserved regardless of a "technicality" because I might have committed an offence at some point?

Edd

Edd - the defence of not being on a public highway is not so simple. If it was in use by other members of the public, wasn't clearly gated off, restricted access etc. - it is a minefield. Your example of your driveway is not relevant, because other members of the public won't be using it.

To answer your point - I believe there was an offence at the time the ticket was issued. I trust we both accept that you are splitting hairs. You did the offence, are going to pay for it, but you are grumbling about the accuracy of the ticket. Perhaps Police time would be better spent on more serious offences - rather than treble checking the wording of every ticket - or even waiting around until you moved.

If someone has been caught with a dodgy number plate, learn their lesson - make it legal - no problem. However, if they don't change it - on that car or any other that they own - they would appear to have little regard for the law. You can't pick and chose which laws you like.

If someone became a serial number plate offender, I suspect that they would not retain a firearms licence.

It matters not to me. If you haven't learned a lesson and carry on - your business.

Edited by Gordon R

well! what you waiting for?,start the appeal process!

cant understand why you needed to ask on here if you know you are in the right and the copper was wrong!! :hmm:

I think you missed my point.

If the offence is having the plate wrong whether it be on the road or in a private car park then so be it, but if the offence is worded the same as tax for example then I would change the ticket. As the example I gave earlier it cannot just be assumed that I committed an offence in getting to a private place without tax. The offence is "..on a public highway..."

However it seems that the number plate offence is worded differently which I unfortunately have to accept.

Edd

Edited by eddoakley

Yes I always do, I think its weird that anyone would pay all that money to try and get noticed. Very few are classy, most are just tat in my opinion.

Its because they arnt happy driving by in their car,they feel they have to tell you whos driving by in that car.Looks ok on top end motors,but BMW,MERCS ECT just screems drug dealer

Its because they arnt happy driving by in their car,they feel they have to tell you whos driving by in that car.Looks ok on top end motors,but BMW,MERCS ECT just screems drug dealer

I'm actually very happy driving in my car (porsche) but my plates are mostly on vans.

What does that mean?

Edd

I'll have to try that if I ever get caught speeding, Sorry officer I wasn't concentrating will you let me off, I think I know what his reply will be.

if you are too stupid to work out what i was saying then i will explain :whistling:

speeding could be accidental or deliberate but fitting an illegal number plate is definately a deliberate act!