EU In or out

old'un

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would find that highly unlikely.

I would think it pretty difficult to change the agreements to pensions and healthcare too.

Bringing in retrospective legislation would be a minefield.

There is no need to change anything. The legislation is already there. Non-EU workers need work permits and if the UK leaves the EU that means French, Poles and other EU nationals would require the work permits to be granted by the end of the exit period if they haven't been resident for five years at that time. Same for ex-pats in EU countries. Similarly the healthcare and pensions legislation is currently in force. Move to Australia or Canada and your old age pension is frozen at the current level and you don't get any UK health cover. Move to a EU country and the pensions are subject to increases and the UK pays health cover via the S1 system. If the UK leaves the EU then those allowances cease.

That is why there is likely to be a large 'Remain' vote from EU based ex-pats.

Edited by UKPoacher

Just an observation, the stay in vote seems to be the "it is better for me" group and the leave vote seems to be "it will be better for my children and the long term benefit of the country" group.

I'm out but I genuinely don't know if it will be better or worse for me or my children. But what I do think is that I want to be more in control of my own destiny.

This might well be the end for David Cameron.

I reckon the UK will vote to leave the EU, Cameron will realise he's backed the wrong horse but he's too wedded to the idea and won't feel able to publicly change his mind. It will be the end of him (and Osbourne) politically, and Boris might well be leader within a year.

As others have said here I don't even think Cameron really believes what he's saying.

The current regulations are that any ex-pat who has been out of the UK for less than 15 years can register to vote in elections or referendums. Registration is made initially via the UK Government and then by your last Town or City Council that you were registered to vote with. So many ex-pats will be voting in the referendum.

I don't think that was the case for the Scottish referendum although I could be wrong.

15 years is a long time if you want to have any say on how your country is run then IMO you should live in that country. Don't forget that there are a very large number of foreign Ex Pats both from European country's and else where in the world that have lived , worked pay tax`s and are voters in this country who may not have a UK passport. I am also not sure about our armed forces or embassy staff etc having a vote if they are stationed abroad

Just an observation, the stay in vote seems to be the "it is better for me" group and the leave vote seems to be "it will be better for my children and the long term benefit of the country" group.

Maybe. But I think a lot of people will vote to remain because they are scared of change - Better the Devil you know argument. It has always been the case that the argument to change something has to overcome the inertia of those frightened of change. The argument to change has to be overwhelming.

As for Cameron; he doesn't believe his own words and that is why he won't answer questions. Just a party political statement and repeat ad nauseum.

I don't think that was the case for the Scottish referendum although I could be wrong.

15 years is a long time if you want to have any say on how your country is run then IMO you should live in that country. Don't forget that there are a very large number of foreign Ex Pats both from European country's and else where in the world that have lived , worked pay tax`s and are voters in this country who may not have a UK passport. I am also not sure about our armed forces or embassy staff etc having a vote if they are stationed abroad

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatnews/11882645/EU-referendum-expats-push-for-voting-rights.html

I have just found some of the answers to my own questions on the About My Vote on the UK GOV web site.

Overseas Ex Pats etc will have to register as a postal vote voters and that includes Europe. not registered cant vote.

I cant make my mind up yet which way I will vote but currently leaning to be out.

I have just found some of the answers to my own questions on the About My Vote on the UK GOV web site.

Overseas Ex Pats etc will have to register as a postal vote voters and that includes Europe. not registered cant vote.

I cant make my mind up yet which way I will vote but currently leaning to be out.

You could have saved yourself the bother if only you'd read post 676 :lol:

I reckon the UK will vote to leave the EU, Cameron will realise he's backed the wrong horse but he's too wedded to the idea and won't feel able to publicly change his mind. It will be the end of him (and Osbourne) politically, and Boris might well be leader within a year.

As others have said here I don't even think Cameron really believes what he's saying.

Dave has already said that he's not running again so I don't think it will bother him to stand down and leave someone else to pick up the mess.

Yes, looks like that to me also. Time will tell.

Cameron has had to be seen to be going through every stage of the process one step at a time. That way nobody can say, now or in the future, that he didn't do everything possible to sort it out ahead of the referendum. Yes if it goes against him he will resign, probably with a huge sigh of relief. He can they walk away with his pension and leave Boris to sort out the massive problems that will surely follow.

I reckon he's been a pretty smart player in all of this

Anyone can register to vote, whether entitled to or not. Postal voting scandals in the past have clearly shown there are absolutely no checks. They don't even check if the person actually exists!

I can't see Boris in the running and I think the big guns, Gove etc have jumped on the out wagon because they smell blood and have their eye on the main chance. To be fair I would put at least two of them in front of Boris.

I can't see Boris in the running and I think the big guns, Gove etc have jumped on the out wagon because they smell blood and have their eye on the main chance. To be fair I would put at least two of them in front of Boris.

I don't see Gove as a chancer, to me he is a very rare thing, an honest politician. I would like to see him as party leader but he doesn't have the glib tongue and the casual regard for truth.. Boris is exactly the reverse

I thought it was quite telling when watching Osbourne being interviewed on the news last night in response to the former Tory leader Michael Howard backing the leave campaign. Osbourne was claiming that by leaving the EU we were posing a great threat to the UK economy which was not yet completely over the recession.

The reporter asked him, if that was the case then why was his party holding a referendum. In typical politician 'speak', he didn't answer the question.

Despite his claims that further austerity cuts are necessary, it is reassuring to see that MP's are in for yet another pay rise. Says it all really.

Edited by Scully

Anyone can register to vote, whether entitled to or not. Postal voting scandals in the past have clearly shown there are absolutely no checks. They don't even check if the person actually exists!

As I work offshore I am and have been for a good number of years a registered postal voter. I regularly receive notification to re apply for my postal vote and for any upcoming elections whither it is for local council, the Scottish & National parliamentary elections, the EU parliamentary elections and both for the Scottish yes/no referendum and now the EU in/out referendum.

As I have no details of the so called `postal voting scandals` I do believe that checks are carried out. My understanding of the scandals was to do with non parliamentary elections ie voting within the various political party's for leaders and unions etc.

As I work offshore I am and have been for a good number of years a registered postal voter. I regularly receive notification to re apply for my postal vote and for any upcoming elections whither it is for local council, the Scottish & National parliamentary elections, the EU parliamentary elections and both for the Scottish yes/no referendum and now the EU in/out referendum.

As I have no details of the so called `postal voting scandals` I do believe that checks are carried out. My understanding of the scandals was to do with non parliamentary elections ie voting within the various political party's for leaders and unions etc.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/local-elections/11580951/Fresh-voting-fraud-in-scandal-hit-borough-of-Tower-Hamlets.html Just one of a number of scandals involving this area, Private Eye has reported on this frequently!

Maybe. But I think a lot of people will vote to remain because they are scared of change - Better the Devil you know argument. It has always been the case that the argument to change something has to overcome the inertia of those frightened of change. The argument to change has to be overwhelming.

As for Cameron; he doesn't believe his own words and that is why he won't answer questions. Just a party political statement and repeat ad nauseum.

The whole point is England has been changed from the devil we know already.

In the last 70 years we have gone from defending ourselves from German occupation to welcoming German rule and being occupied by hostile migrants so I think a vote to leave is a vote for the Devil we know.

The whole point is England has been changed from the devil we know already.

In the last 70 years we have gone from defending ourselves from German occupation to welcoming German rule and being occupied by hostile migrants so I think a vote to leave is a vote for the Devil we know.

to be fair the only thing that stopped the Germans invading was them opening the eastern front and US support

to be fair the only thing that stopped the Germans invading was them opening the eastern front and US support

Rubbish. You forgot about the English Channel and the fact the RAF had already defeated the Luftwaffe. Without air support their landing fleet would have been obliterated.