Best fully waterproof, tough, workwear.

Scully

Have decided after many years it's about time I invested in some serious waterproof workwear, so to all those who work outside in the elements, what in your experience is the best wet and wild weather protection?

I have some leggings which don't leak in even after repeated kneeling on wet surfaces, but they aren't going to last much longer and I can't get anymore as mate who got me them no longer works for that company.

A workmate has a full all in one Helly-Hanson suit he recently bought for 150 quid, which seemed to work well last week, but doesn't look too tough to me, and another who gets supplied by a mate who works on the rail network, but he ended up sweating like the proverbial thingy!

I need to able to get about easily in them as I scramble up and down scaffolding and clamber over obstacles as a slinger/banksman.

Have boots and headwear covered, and may ask one or two lads I know who are firefighters as that gear must fit all criteria I've mentioned, but it doesn't look very supple to me.

All suggestions appreciated.

For scaffolding i use an old army gortex jacket and trousers (if i can get them the thicker heavyweight darker camouflage).

Seem to perform just as well as anything else with the bonus when the shoulder gets worn out i just recover it with gorilla tape until it gets to the stage i need to dump another £20 or so on a 'new' one

don't seem to sweat too badly in it and easy to hose off if mucky, if its wet a quick shake and most of the surface water comes off.

We have all tried the all in one flexathane suits which certainly keep you dry, until you warm up of course. We also discovered they're only good enough for one or two jobs then the material seems to deteriorate. We also found them difficult to pee from without half undressing, and they hindered climbing as they tend to stretch tight rather than ride up.

Have been down the DPM gore-tex route also, which were good admittedly, and while 100 thousand scaffolders can't be wrong, I feel I'm a bit old for DPM nowadays.

Am very interested in the 'cut and climb' gear, so thanks for the link felly100, but thanks very much all, for your time gents. Much appreciated.

I have tried many brands, finding breathable waterproofs has been a nightmare as waterproof and hard physical graft usually means wetter on the inside than the out 😝

I went to Gunwharf Quays and spent a days wages in O neil on a boarders jacket and trousers. Jacket is the beat I've had. Totally waterproof and not too hot. Not tried the strides yet.

If you can find it Elka rainwear working extreme is good, hard wearing breathable and waterproof, I got a jacket from a fishermans supply shop for fifty notes, its the bees knees but the trousers are mince far to snug in the crotch and the inner lining makes them slip down all the time. But jacket deffo worth a look

I have been a joiner since I left school working on roofs and outside in the elements a lot, I have tried a lot of different types and makes of waterproof work wear and some were better than others. I started working as a salmon farmer about a year and a half ago and our standard issue oilskins are stormline and they are definitely the best oilskin type water proofs I have worn. Very hard wearing and pretty easy to move around in and I reckon if they can keep a salmon farmer in Shetland dry they are pretty good.

Be careful with what you buy. If your climbing around a lot and get sweaty oilskins are no good.

I've had some very good Norweigian stuff flame retardant oilskins. Others with a flock type lining for warmth all were sweaty and either got as wet on inside or were freezing cold in winter.

Hard to get the right balance. Baggy oilskins with warm moisture wicking clothes under is now my choice. You get air circulating a bit to cut sweat and warmth from your clothes.

If you can find it Elka rainwear working extreme is good, hard wearing breathable and waterproof, I got a jacket from a fishermans supply shop for fifty notes, its the bees knees but the trousers are mince far to snug in the crotch and the inner lining makes them slip down all the time. But jacket deffo worth a look

Another 1 for Elka..I have bib n braces and jackets,worn them 6 days a wk for 16months now working as a knacker man..covered in s*#t all day...starting to leak on the knees now..would definatly buy again..