Spring drillings are just round the corner.

JDog

The lighter (and poorer) land on the Wolds has dried out in recent days and tractors were out in all directions today working the land down from plough to cultivated ready to be drilled. If tomorrow is dry the farmers will be making a start drilling beans, barley and in one case spring wheat. This weekend could be good for the keen decoyer.

On my travels I saw several hundred birds sitting on ploughing. None were gritting as far as I could see. Then in small groups some headed off into the distance before diving down into a rape field. Within ten minutes the whole lot were feeding voraciously. Not knowing who owned the field I spent some time driving round and making enquiries before getting a name and address.

The house I turned up at was a hidden gem, very grand and in a wonderful situation. Being brave I knocked on the door and was welcomed in by the owner who proceeded to print off the cropping schedule for the 900 acre farm and gave me consent to shoot the lot. The rape could be good this weekend but the beans he is drilling will be even better.

Spring drilling a bit behind here due to the rain we got last week!

You seem to be getting your feet under the tables of these very grand Linconshire farm house's, was there an Aga in the kitchen? :lol:.

Good for you pal, you put the groundwork in and your gaining land nicely in your new county, well deserved. :good:

I hope you shoot some good bags in the coming weeks.

Edited by aga man

drills are rolling round here now, mine will be out tomorrow , planting spring wheat about 30 Ha to drill.

then mid April i have around 20Ha of Lupins to go in and about 30ha of Maize shortly after.

Happy hunting folks

Edited by colin.y

Without wishing to hijack, if you were given a drilling schedule across 4,000 acres, which crop would you start your reconnaissance on first?

Well you should be able to get round the whole of the 4,000 acres in a couple of hours provided that it was in one block. Mind you it would have to be an Estate of 16,000 acres or more to have that much spring drilling to do. Pigeons don't take long to find a new source and as Motty says start at the first one to be drilled.

Well you should be able to get round the whole of the 4,000 acres in a couple of hours provided that it was in one block. Mind you it would have to be an Estate of 16,000 acres or more to have that much spring drilling to do. Pigeons don't take long to find a new source and as Motty says start at the first one to be drilled.

Thanks for this, sorry to be clear the total acreage is 4,000 not the drillings alone. Unfortunately the farm is scattered around and it takes me a while to do my recon as i tend to walk the boundaries so as i get to learn these at the same time. Thanks for the advice i will start at the first one first.