FAC AIR PCP ? ADVICE WELCOME

oldypigeonpopper

hello, i had such a good response when i asked for advice on a .22 L/R from which i bought a CZ 455 and very pleased with it on the rabbits but where i shoot they can be difficult after 1 or 2 shots and then its a waiting game, no problem after dark with n/v but now thinking as the days get longer and into high summer would a .22 FAC air be a better option? (noise compaired to L/R subs) oh the ground gets very dry as clay type soil and not so happy unless i have a good back stop, so advice on a lighter fac rifle as i carry most/ 26/28 ft llb/ 50 shots per fill maybe spare bottle type/ i am looking at using with the hawke 3x9x50 rimmie scope or such like and red T38 torch after dusk. i would zero to 50mtrs as per the 455, so what do PW members recommend. will hope TVP allow on my ticket if i decide to go for one. cheers

hello, i had such a good response when i asked for advice on a .22 L/R from which i bought a CZ 455 and very pleased with it on the rabbits but where i shoot they can be difficult after 1 or 2 shots and then its a waiting game, no problem after dark with n/v but now thinking as the days get longer and into high summer would a .22 FAC air be a better option? (noise compaired to L/R subs) oh the ground gets very dry as clay type soil and not so happy unless i have a good back stop, so advice on a lighter fac rifle as i carry most/ 26/28 ft llb/ 50 shots per fill maybe spare bottle type/ i am looking at using with the hawke 3x9x50 rimmie scope or such like and red T38 torch after dusk. i would zero to 50mtrs as per the 455, so what do PW members recommend. will hope TVP allow on my ticket if i decide to go for one. cheers

hello, thanks for the replies so far, need a lighter rifle than a rapid if there is one,

I bought a s\h Air Ranger to go with my 455 lr for exactly the same reasons. Its running at 40 ftlb and with 16g pellets shoots just like the cz at about 1050 fps, but has a smoother trigger. Noise is about the same as the rim fire. It was only 12 months old and i paid £500 for it, fully kitted.

I am not sure it will help with the rabbits any better than the rimfire as once they start to get wise to being shot at it takes time to forget, regardless of what you are shooting them with.

With the NV I find It can be difficult to find the quarry once its shot as the depth of field and camera view alters my perception of location. For this reason I like to mark out my shoot plan with markers to indicate the ranges rather than walk about and shoot as i wander.

Apologies for the brief Hijack Oldypigeonpopper. I've scratched my undelever rifle itch a few months ago. But wish I'd gone for FAC Air itch first..... :unhappy:

Interesting thread. I'm on the look-out for an FAC Air Rifle, (around 35 ft/lb) mainly for around barns, outbuildings, a adjoining fields.

I have asked about a few for sale on another forum, but strangely, have had no replies. Maybe sold??......

Zetter - "I would look at the FX range mate a wildcat in .22 fac would be just the job"

Just looked at the FX Wildcat. What a cracking bit of kit! Looks very expensive.....

I used a 30 ft lb rapid a fair while ( still have it on my ticket) as I sold it a mate so I could borrow it, never have and it's going on 3 yrs ago

Yes not a bad thing if you have baked hard clay but then but then a light load of number 7 will work as will 12 ft lb

It's just a lot of faff bottles and such for me

If I was shooting lots of squirrel then I should certainly get one though for rabbits? When you have an lr? Shotgun and 12 ft lb?

I used a 30 ft lb rapid a fair while ( still have it on my ticket) as I sold it a mate so I could borrow it, never have and it's going on 3 yrs ago

Yes not a bad thing if you have baked hard clay but then but then a light load of number 7 will work as will 12 ft lb

If I was shooting lots of squirrel then I should certainly get one though for rabbits? When you have an lr? Shotgun and 12 ft lb?

hello, thanks to reply but only rifle on this perm

hello, thanks to reply, i all ready have a 2 x 4ltr air cylinder set up with a very long test think about 2020

hello, having looked at options and did have a sub 12 .22 BSA R10 MK 1 some time ago i think i might try and get another but in FAC, 28ft llb, maybe even get JB to do a complete blue print job so it will last a good few years that my tickets for.

Help me out here, I'm struggling to understand!

If you find it difficult after one or two shots with the .22lr why do you think it will be better with FAC Air?

FAC air will be just as noisy (or more) than .22 lr with subs and ricochets will not be too much of a problem if you actually hit your quarry!

I run 12ft lb, FAC air, 2 x .22lr and assorted other rifles, my FAC air is the least used!

I bought a s\h Air Ranger to go with my 455 lr for exactly the same reasons. Its running at 40 ftlb and with 16g pellets shoots just like the cz at about 1050 fps, but has a smoother trigger. Noise is about the same as the rim fire. It was only 12 months old and i paid £500 for it, fully kitted.

I am not sure it will help with the rabbits any better than the rimfire as once they start to get wise to being shot at it takes time to forget, regardless of what you are shooting them with.

With the NV I find It can be difficult to find the quarry once its shot as the depth of field and camera view alters my perception of location. For this reason I like to mark out my shoot plan with markers to indicate the ranges rather than walk about and shoot as i wander.

Must admit i'm a bit with deekers here, can't understand wot ur wanting?

I never find much noise at all from a 22lr with subs, generally the loudest part is the thack of hitting hte rabbit and if it kicks a bit un settling others, or if using a SA the bolt cylcing.

I've had a slot for fac air for a while and just cannsae see a need for it for me, too much hassle with bottles etc too, esp for only 50 shots, expensive too

If ground dodgy with riccohets then fair enough, but then the opiton of a 17hmr to work alongside might be better.

Really quite similar tools but a lot more hassle and more money.

Ps

Wot do u mean by only 1 rifle on permission? Who impossed that farmer or police?

Must admit i'm a bit with deekers here, can't understand wot ur wanting?

I never find much noise at all from a 22lr with subs, generally the loudest part is the thack of hitting hte rabbit and if it kicks a bit un settling others, or if using a SA the bolt cylcing.

I've had a slot for fac air for a while and just cannsae see a need for it for me, too much hassle with bottles etc too, esp for only 50 shots, expensive too

If ground dodgy with riccohets then fair enough, but then the opiton of a 17hmr to work alongside might be better.

Really quite similar tools but a lot more hassle and more money.

Ps

Wot do u mean by only 1 rifle on permission? Who impossed that farmer or police?

hello, sorry i should have said i can only use a rifle be it a PCP or rimfire and yes the ground can go like concrete if there is a hot summer, it was just a thought to look at FAC air although i can do well with my sub 12 ft llb air rifle.

Is that the land owner or police's rule thou about 1 rifle?

Doubt most farmers would care wot u shot with if keeping vermin down.

If police's, is it legal/ in guidelines only 1 rifle? I've certainly never heard of it before and if u can demonstrate a need for a 2nd rifle.

if police are enforcing it i'd speak to my org and se if that is normal/legal.

When i looked ayt fac air boy in gunshop said riccohet is not that much better, generally a heavy slow moving bullet tends to bounce more than a light fast 1, so pirgun pellets still fairly slow moving and solid

Is it a small acreage permission? Usually i'd just take a few shots and then move on to next warren and just keep moving round the farm rather than waiting till rabbits come out again. U will probably make them more wary quicker by waiting on the to come out again and then shooting them again

Edited by scotslad